Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Congrats! She looks really nice. We're relatively new to towing, we had a 1966 13' Shasta last year that I could tow with a bicycle it was so light, and stepped up to a 26' Streamline this year.

One thing I've figured out is that the hitch setup is key. One link difference on the chains makes a world of difference in the feel, going from downright scary to "whoops, forgot we had a trailer back there" comfy.

Plan on going to a truck stop or weigh station and spending a little time dialing in your hitch before heading home. Here are some good instructions to print and bring along.

RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints

Have fun! We love Bend, beautiful country out there.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks for the input Ian - and the link link.

I've watched the Blue Ox video and gone over their instructions. They're kind of casual about adjusting the links. Thanks for pointing out what a difference correct adjustments can make. A little bit like tuning the torsion bar suspension on an old Porsche.

I've also been doing a lot of reading here about hitches, one of the topics (along with tires) that seems to really animate folks.

Poppy

Old 09-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Yup. Nothing like real world experience. But as an engineer I tend to agree with most of what Andy says as the physics supports his statements, especially after feeling the difference myself. I just wish I had found his advice before shelling out a bunch of money for new Michelin tires that are big and soft. So far we've been ok with them.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Maiden Voyage Complete

We returned home with Nellie after a 700 mile maiden voyage. Nice stop in San Juan Bautista with a visit to the mission, the only original California mission still operating.

Nice smooth trip, trailer pulled great and things felt stable and solid. The TV seems to be very capable - thanks to Ontario Andy for the vote of confidence.

Now time to start dialing things in a bit while avoiding the Shiny Object Syndrome. I do have to admit that the Dyson worked great though - kept us warm and cozy during nights in the low 40's.

I came up with a hillbilly solution for backing up though and decided I don't need the iBall Backup Camera that I ordered. I put a small length of blue tape centered over the hitch on the rear window of the TV vehicle and another bit of tape centered on the propane tank enclosure on the trailer. Lined those two up when backing up to hitch and was able to hit it on the button every time. DW just had to tell me when to stop.

BTW, the seller of the trailer is on this forum and is wonderful to deal with. He spent as much time as needed (a lot) to walk through the trailer with me, and everything was as good or better than he represented it to be. Nice first impression of the Streaming world.

Poppy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	198324  
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Congrats on the maiden voyage! You must be excited for the upcoming big adventure.

Tom
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks Tom - we are excited! My wife and I are going to spend five months roaming the Western half of the U.S. The only thing booked is to be in Williams, AZ and take the train to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on my birthday. The rest is all tumbleweed blowing in the wind.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Thanks Tom - we are excited! My wife and I are going to spend five months roaming the Western half of the U.S. The only thing booked is to be in Williams, AZ and take the train to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon on my birthday. The rest is all tumbleweed blowing in the wind.

Poppy
Now that is a great plan!