Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Divide , Colorado
I know that buying an AS that's been sitting will entail a lot more work but I don't want to spend a ton on the trailer innitialy. I have a friend who is an RV tech and he said he could get me any parts I need for wholesale and will help me do all the work for no cost. I will probably be changing small things in the trailer too so I don't want to tear up a nice one. I've thought about building a nice bunk bed set up midship, we'll have see what I end up buying.
gloriavoxdei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriavoxdei View Post
I know that buying an AS that's been sitting will entail a lot more work but I don't want to spend a ton on the trailer innitialy. I have a friend who is an RV tech and he said he could get me any parts I need for wholesale and will help me do all the work for no cost. I will probably be changing small things in the trailer too so I don't want to tear up a nice one. I've thought about building a nice bunk bed set up midship, we'll have see what I end up buying.

We have a 2 and 5 year old and were in your shoes.. We bought our '68 with twin beds in the middle... We put up portable bed rails and put both kids in the same bed..

The front couch folds into a twin but is small...

We used it like this all summer but i am now redoing the inside... You can do a bit at a time or all at once.

I put bunks in place of one of the twin beds but only 25" wide. and a dinette that folds into a bed where the other twin was to eat at, and a place for the kids to hang out if it is raining or cold.. Making the front couch into a wrap around and bigger to sleep on.

You can see some pics here. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...dor-44644.html but it is not finished yet.. Good luck.

They just don't make really family friendly Airstreams.. Go figure..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
We have a 1975 Argosy24 in which the PO installed bunk beds above each of the middle twins. Ours also has the dinette up front that makes a "double" bed. The twin beds are easily large enough for two kids each and the top bunks are big enough for two smaller kids each, however it's best just to have one kid in each top bunk. If their cousins or friends stay with us for a short weekend there is plenty of sleeping room for the kids and the wife and I. Normally it is my wife, my three kids and myself and it works just fine. Our philosophy though is that we are basically only in it to sleep or if the weather is bad. I should mention that my children are 9,6 and 3. I might change my mind and need a larger one when the kids are considerably larger.

Also I believe the Argosy is lighter and thus easier to tow with a smaller vehicle. The longer Argosy minuet would probably be the lightest and still give you the needed sleeping room.

Oops, I just re-read the OP and realized your not worried so much about weight so disregard that last bit. Unless of course you too would like to tow with a sweet little Yugo.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Divide , Colorado
I found a thread that was asking about a fold away bunk bed that turns into a couch back for the center bed. He had a picture from the owners manuel and looking at it I could probably build a simmilar set up from aluminum pretty easily myself. That would be a perfect setup for a family, especialy if I got a double twin and did it on both sides. I think setting it up with "feet" that go from the bunk to the lower bed to support the upper bunk would be more feisable then the strap setup too as long as you fabricated a way to secure the "feet".
gloriavoxdei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you want bunks, they were an option available. I think Inland RV has the wall and ceiling brackets. Then you need to track down the aluminum frames. Mine was set up for the bunks over the centre singles and has the wall and ceiling brackets. I just don't have the bunks.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Click on picture 2 for a look at the optional bunks:

1972Tradewind3
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
25-27 feet sounds about the right size to start with.

When shopping for a vintage Airstream, a big concern seems to be water leaks.
Over the years this can have caused floor rot. The big areas to look out for are: rear bath models, also around the door and under the windows.

Good luck in your search and Welcome aboard!!
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote