Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Ditto to the above. I think there is an influx of folks who are romanticizing the idea of owning an Airstream, and think it's going to be something it's not.

Also, Foiled Again had a good point, Highland Haven here in Floyd, VA where I am at presently is holding an Airstream rally this weekend. Place is almost full with friendly folks who would answer all your question in better fashion than any sales person.

Airstreaming is about community, and this is the friendliest park I've ever been too.

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Fly out to Utah to visit Zion National Park. Contact
Zion RV Trailer Rentals

Not Airstreams but if you'll get an idea what its like to camp in an RV.

If you like the experience then you can continue exploring getting you own RV.

KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
clovis , California
What you want to do is admirable, but difficult to accomplish. I tried, but had to settle on something a little simpler.
Rent a class C and go for a trip. Reasonable price and easy to find. This will tell you of you like the basic concept. Traveling slow, in and out of campgrounds, the people, the pace.
Then go look at some airstreams. You WILL fall in love with one. Paula's tip about visiting some other air streamers can help you find the one that's best for you.
Then pull the trigger and have fun!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #18
Montague , Michigan
Like you, we have been interested in renting an Airstream to try before buying. We have not found much, especially in the Eastern US. We asked at a couple of dealers (naively thinking that a used Airstream would be a fantastic sales tool.) Their cool response suggested there was little point in pursuing this option with dealers further afield.
Others here have mentioned, which says they are the only factory authorized rental source in North America. It sounds like a memorable vacation opportunity if it fits your budget.
If you can consider something outside Virginia, another rental option is As I understand it, they have rentals in Denver and in San Francisco. A mix of sizes and vintages.
We saw an article about a few KOA campgrounds having Airstreams that you can rent. The Bar Harbor KOA in Maine is one example. You wouldn't get the experience of towing with that option.
In Michigan, where we are from, we were able to find an owner who rents out his Airstream with a tow vehicle, though his was an older, refurbished unit. I expect you have already explored this option in Virginia.
If you come up with any interesting options, please post them. It would be of interest to others.
Almandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Montague , Michigan
I saw this article on by a journalist that rented an Airstream from airstream2go and thought it was interesting.
Renting an Airstream for the ultimate luxury road trip - Fortune
Almandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
We too wanted to rent an Airstream before buying one -- actually, we needed to just go "camping" before buying an Airstream. So, we rented a 2011 International Signature 23 from We didn't tow it...we just had them drop it off at a campsite -- the San Franscisco RV Resort. We stayed for 3 days weekend and the cost was about $200 a night for the Airstream plus the campground fees-- we went at the end of January so it was off season. My experience with was terrific. And, it was nearly as expensive as Airstreamtogo which I had also considered. By the way, I live on the East Coast and I couldn't find anyone on the East Coast who would rent Airstreams.

We absolutely loved our weekend in the Airstream and decided that we liked the camping thing so we would move forward with purchasing one. Still, the Airstream was a big purchase and we weren't sure if we really liked camping or if we just liked the Airstream. So instead of buying an Airstream we bought a T@B Sofitel. It was half the price of the Airstream we wanted but would allow us to learn the basics of RV ownership and camping. We practised in the backyard with the T@B for a month or so then went on our first camping trip to a nearby KOA. We also LOVED that camping experience but discovered the T@B was too small. So, this past Friday, we just picked up our Sport 16. On the one hand, I kind of feel that I should have just purchased the Airstream first. However, even though it was a very short amount of time, the experience with the T@B was invaluable.
So, I guess the moral of my story is if you already know that you like RVing/camping, go for the Airstream -- but make sure you get the right size for your needs! If you don't know if you like Rving/camping, then make sure that you do before investing in the Airstream. Hope that helps!

Bewell is offline   Reply With Quote