Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
little river , California
Be aware of this online scam.

Hi everyone. I was excited when I saw an ad on Craigslist today for a 1960 airstream that looked to be in great condition and was listed for $4400.00. I emailed to inquire and got the response below. It sounded absolutely hinky to me, so I did a few minutes of online research and found that this scam is commonly used on automobile sites. I suppose attempting it with an airstream is pretty clever. Anyhow, I'm 99% sure it's a scam. I thought I'd post it up on here because I saw the same ad listed not just on Sacramento Craigslist, but a number of other sites stating a variety of locations. I'm including several of pictures the "seller" sent me. Who knows? Maybe the trailer actually belongs to one of you guys!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-602212675.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	199023

Name:	image-602212675.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	199023

Name:	image-135297610.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	199024

Name:	image-4213663149.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	199025

Name:	image-2293227055.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	199026

Name:	image-854445669.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	199027

Name:	image-408695780.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	199028

Name:	image-3933684604.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	199029

Name:	image-1110261983.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	199030

"I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Omaha, NE for a new start. The camper is in my possession, already at the shipping company, ready to be delivered to its future new owner. The deal is handled by Google Wallet so I don't have much to do about it. With Google Wallet, you get free delivery, at your place in 4 to 5 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. I want to make it very clear, that Google Wallet will hold your money, and I won't be receiving a single dollar unless you call and tell them to release the money to me. For more info on how it works, I can ask Google Wallet to send you an email with more details on how to buy it. They will contact you shortly, as soon as have your personal details. This way you also get proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from Google Wallet with all the transaction information, please reply with your whole name, address and phone # and they will contact you right away."
jessejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
This same trailer is listed on Craigslist in Rockford, IL.
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
And in DC. I reached out this week just to make sure (you get lucky sometimes) but as soon as I got the reply back, I knew it was a scam.

Unfortunately, this one is better than most. The price is low, but not outrageous. The "seller" has plenty of pics, and it's an old one, not the 2011 Bambi for $5,500 you usually see.

It could get some people. I posted it in the interesting CL section, but I'm glad you posted it here too.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I saw an AVION with this same scam. If they want to handle the transaction totally online and want payment sight unseen then it is a scam.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Scams like this are a dime a dozen. They used to plague Craigslist, but now they are becoming very common on the Airforums classifieds as well. As usual, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
I came across a similar ad here in the classifieds. I reported it and the mod replied back that the ad and the account were both deleted.
JDnBeastlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You're right that this was a scam, and I hope you flagged the craigslist ad immediately to protect those more gullible than you.

If you see anything similarly suspicious on the AIRForums classifieds, please contact a moderator with your concerns. We're serious about keeping our own classifieds as clean as possible.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
As always, if it's too good to be true, it probably is a scam.That vintage trailer is easily worth $15k plus judging by those pictures. Commonly seen are $3500 new Bambis as well.

If you see these ads crop up on CL, report them as spam, and if you see them pop up in OUR classifieds, let us know right away. We try to keep an eye on the new ads, and we are working behind the scenes to make it harder for the scammers, but we appreciate your help!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
Yup, we fell for one on the Seattle craigslist recently. After days of no response from the individual who listed the ad, we got the same lame story that he had to leave town to take care of his daughter who just gave birth and would be gone for a while, but he can still do the deal via ETC...some kind of online escrow service. Luckily, we are not suckers!
loriinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
It's sad that you can't buy or sell with out being scammed. I recently listed a classic car for a reasonable no negotiation, serious to sell price. You bring cash and leave with the car. Will not ship! You must come and get it.

It got flagged as a scam within minutes after posting it. Then I got 1 low ball offer.

Hate Craig's list but I did score my 360 classic on it.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
It's sad that you can't buy or sell with out being scammed. I recently listed a classic car for a reasonable no negotiation, serious to sell price. You bring cash and leave with the car. Will not ship! You must come and get it.

It got flagged as a scam within minutes after posting it. Then I got 1 low ball offer.

Hate Craig's list but I did score my 360 classic on it.
You have probably already assumed so, but I'd bet you a mortgage payment that the person who flagged your ad is the person who lowballed you on it. Different breed of dirtbag than the "escrow service" scammers, but dirtbag just the same.

I bought all of my Argosy trailers on Craigslist (the '75 24' trailer we currently travel with, the 28' rear-bed renovation project and a '74 26' gutted parts donor). Each one was as-described or better. I've seen many times that number that bore very little resemblance to the written description or the carefully chosen photos, so you just have to sort the wheat from the chaff. Carefully.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

You have probably already assumed so, but I'd bet you a mortgage payment that the person who flagged your ad is the person who lowballed you on it. Different breed of dirtbag than the "escrow service" scammers, but dirtbag just the same.
Yup! Ended up selling it through a Mustang web site for more than I thought it was worth.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
little river , California
Yeah. Apparently, flagging non-scam posts is very common. I have a friend who makes a living selling different kinds of furniture on Craigslist. He said that people selling similar things are constantly flagging his posts to get rid of competition. Jerks!

I flagged the airstream post as soon as i realized. i emailed with the scam artist a couple more times. Curious to see what excuses she'd come up with as to why picking it up myself wasn't an option. Pretty outlandish stuff. I suppose this scam must work on some people. What a drag.
jessejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Maybe have a button like on craigslist you can click to report scam ads. I think on CL is the ad get 3 "Flags" from different IP's it get deleted.

I know for while i was flagging scam AS ad's on CL every day as were others. After a while the stupid scammers get tired of having to recreate the ad and move on.

That is easier than trying to figure out where to send email to report.

speaking of new classified forums.. have a way to see more than 10 at a time.. i like to load up a bunch and go through them.

Do like the new way to search,, length, date range, price etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
You're right that this was a scam, and I hope you flagged the craigslist ad immediately to protect those more gullible than you.

If you see anything similarly suspicious on the AIRForums classifieds, please contact a moderator with your concerns. We're serious about keeping our own classifieds as clean as possible.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If I was bored I would make several fake emails and start a bidding war with myself!

Then drop the emails!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote