Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
Thanks everyone from both sides of the fence..great information.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Used Car/RV Salesman

How can you tell that a used car salesman is lying?

His lips are moving.

-----------------------------------
A lot of businesses (Bates included) don't seem to have adjusted to the power of the internet and are doing business the same way they did in the 1960's through 1990. I can remember back in the bad old days when the BBB was the only game in town, and businesses could artificially improve their records simply by joining or paying higher "contributor" dues. Now social media websites abound, and the power of negative feedback can seriously hurt a business like BATES. Colonial caught on very early and has their sales folks marching in absolute lockstep with the corporate ID - SERVICE AND SALES.

Mr. Bates probably wants the same thing but isn't as well organized at getting it. Obviously he has SOME of his staff in line, but USED inventory sounds like it's his weak point. His sales people clearly get away with sloppy performance there.

Complaining here - helps US - Copy the link and send an E-mail to Mr. Bates. Challenge him to do better. Most people who buy one Airstream will come back in 3-5 years for another. He's got a staff that are focused on a single quick sale... trying to sell a product that thrives with a relationship.

It's amazing how fast an owner can clean house once he finds out how effective social media is at growing or crippling his sales.

Oh - and have an appointment, It's a busy dealership and an appointment will get you better through the door service.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
I really appreciate all the advice and information ...thanks

Btw foiled again. You are right on about social media in this day and age. Any business of any kind that ignores it is doomed.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Vero Beach , Florida
I definitely agree with Foiled Again. Whenever we were at the Bates dealership, they were always busy with customers, phones, etc. Even on the weekdays. It just makes sense to schedule your business with the service or sales people so that they will be prepared to handle your needs.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Excellent treatment from Sanders in Fl. when we purchased our latest Airstream. They went the extra mile for us!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
So far I haven't been impressed with any Airstream dealerships I have interacted with (except for Arbogast in OH, but I only got a quote on a new trailer from them so not much interaction).

If Airstream is selling a Cadillac / Lexus quality product (everyone I meet at the gas pump says "isn't that the Cadillac of RVs?") they should insist on Lexus quality service at their dealers, not Uncle Buck's Used Car lot.

Even Colonial - their good prices are the only reason I would go back. They have a good Service Dept reputation, but the owner basically"disinvited" me from taking my trailer there since I bought it from someone else.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Strange that AS cannot get dealers to develop a good reputation for service. I bought our AS used from a Winnebago dealer and their service dept was excellent at prepping the trailer. But their admin dept really dropped the ball in getting me license and title, with a whole bunch of excuses. My temp tag had expired, but the trailer was parked at home. TT's are not Hatteras yachts or Mercedes cars so I wonder why dealers cannot meet our expectations.
Larry
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There are a few gems out there, though. Foley RV in Gulfport, MS has given me good service from day 1. They are a bit slow right now, but that's only because they're so busy and their service department has a long queue of customers.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
Once again. Thanks to everyone for all your input and sharing your experiences. Hard to get that warm dizzy feeling about purchasing an airstream after reading a lot of this. But the long term fun and adventures will more than make up for the problems I hope. I sent an email to sanders today based on some of your input. Thanks again
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I purchased a new AS from Bates about 2 years ago. They offered a great price and easy back and forth. Arrived at Bates on appointed day, went through a very thorough walk thru. Identified several small items that were resolved. Completed paperwork and took it next door to spend the night. Found several small items that were resolved the next day. Headed home. Also they installed a Pro Pride hitch. For me it was a very good and smooth process. Since I live about 1,000 miles away I have no experience with their service dept. I did have some warranty issues, worked with JC and they directed me to the nearast AS dealer who resolved the issues.

No experience with the parts dept. so no comments on that. My impression of the service dept. was that they were extremely competent and knowledgeable about AS.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
A lot of great information both pros and con.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1953 View Post
Once again. Thanks to everyone for all your input and sharing your experiences. Hard to get that warm dizzy feeling about purchasing an airstream after reading a lot of this. But the long term fun and adventures will more than make up for the problems I hope. I sent an email to sanders today based on some of your input. Thanks again
If you buy a Airstream be sure and let us know when the first filiform corrosion shows up
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
I suggest you go through Sanders which is near Gainsville Fl. They are a family and very nice. They worked a very good deal for us and stayed on top of our needs. Even let us store our other trailer there without charge for almost a mo. I would definitely go there again. The trailer we bought was also on line and they were finishing waxing it when we arrived. It had been thoroughly gone thorough and was very clean. We found we needed a new part for the furnace when we got home and they sent it out immediately w no charge. Good people, call them.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Knoxville , Tennessee
So we are interested in the Eddies Bauer 25FB. We have received quotes from three dealers. What % of MRSP is fair to pay for a new unit or a new 2013 unit?