Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
AS Buying Advice: 1958 Overlander

Hi, everyone! I am looking at purchasing an already gutted 1958 Overlander. I have attached the only images that I have at the moment, since it is not local. I have never owned an AS, so I have a few specific questions regarding price, feasibility, and if it is generally worth it.

I am a bit of a dreamer, so I like the romance of restoring the exterior of the '58. Since it is gutted, there is no way for me to properly 'restore' the interior, so I would be looking at modern furnishings & conveniences.

My first question is about the exterior. From the image of the roof, the aluminum looks pretty weathered, but solid. Can this still be brought back to a polished shine, despite the age?

Second, I have looked through some of the forum threads, discussing trailer weight and balance, but how difficult is it to actually accomplish?

Third, towing. I have a 2008 F150. It is not a 4x4 or a diesel, but I am assuming that it should tow the 27' empty AS home. I just wonder that if I outfit the interior to be live able, will the AS quickly outgrow my truck?

Fourth, construction. How easy/difficult is it to build cabinets with curvature of the AS? Are there forums in here that provide help with getting this done?

Fifth, and probably most important for me right now is price. I don't know how to properly price these trailers, and I know that there has to be so many different variables that could change the value. So, I guess I am asking: how much would you be willing to pay for one, basically sight unseen. Don't get me wrong, this is not a "wire transfer over craigslist" type deal. No money exchanges hands until I see it, but I have to be comfortable enough with the price before I travel to go see/get it. They are asking $6,800 as-is. I think it is way too much, but I don't want to insult them.

Last. Am I getting in over my head? I am sure that all of you seasoned AS owners see people like me, wanting to jump into AS ownership as restorers, not just owners, and you may be shaking your heads. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	272094Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1662.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	272095Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	272096Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	272097I have never owned/went camping with a travel trailer. I have no history with troubleshooting at home or on the road. Would one better off buying a 70-80's model and learning from there? I like the idea of taking a gutted camper and working with a blank slate, but it is also overwhelming at the same time. I have someone that wants to sell me a '73 31-ft land yacht for $7,000 that has everything in it - it is just dated. I still think $7,000 is too much, but I value your opinions. Thank you all in advance.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
I forgot to add the only interior image that I have...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	272098

Tags