Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Argosy rear bedroom-inspect ?? specifically

Have located a 77 Argosy rear bedroom that was at a campsite about 10 miles from the shore for at least 7 years.
Had a window AC mounted in through rear window.
Exterior skin/paint looks pretty good in photos and rear wrap windows are intact. Interior is unknown. Have been lurking on this forum long enough to expect repair$ or replacement and a long road to fini$hed.
Am arranging for an Airstream knowledgeable RV tech to accompany me to inspection. Is there an area that should receive special attention during inspection? Should the exposure to sea air concern me?

Al's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
With a trailer that lived it's life that close to salt water, I would be concerned about rust. Rust on the frame, axles, frame above the belly pan, and on the galvanized end caps.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Owner says the 77 Argosy rear bedroom for sale was put on campsite about 10 miles from the shore in 2000 or 2001. Regarding possible salt contamination on all metal; is there best way to neutralize the salt beside washing with ample water? Any other concerns for that year?
Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy rear bedroom-inspect ??

Greetings Al's Cousin!

The Argosy has the benefit of paint which helps to minimize the potential for damage to the aluminum skin from salt air/salt mist. As has been mentioned, particular attention needs to be given to the galvanized steel endcaps and the seams where they meet the aluminum ... electrolysis could be more of an issue with exposure to salt water/salt mist. The potential issues for the chassis are the same for the Argosy as the Airstream.

While it isn't as common with the rear bedroom models, it can still happen. The coach should be examined for rear end separation. A cursory examination for sag would be a good idea as well, but I don't believe that I have ever heard of an Argosy with this problem - - but since the engineering of the two lines tends to be similar it would be good insurance just to take a look.

There aren't really any problems peculiar to the 1977 Argosy 28, but as with any coach this age any original appliance can be suspected of nearing the end of its useful life. Postponed or neglected maintenance issues also need to be considered. With its placement in a park for 10 years, new tires are a given as well as bearing service. . . brakes, shocks and axles may have issues from the long period of inactivity as well. Since it has been such a long period of time since the coach has been on the road, it may also need to have OPD valves installed on the LP tanks as well as updating the certification.

If the deep-wrap wing windows haven't been protected with rock guards, you may want to examine each of these windows to determine whether there is any pre-existing damage (or if any are something other than the original glass). As you have probably learned through your research these windows are very costly to replace - - and the new ones are tinted rather than clear like the originals.

Good luck with your inspection!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Thanks Kevin, I knew about electrolysis in general but not that salt air or salt mist could present a greater risk. The fella who is going to inspect this Argosy for me has an Argosy so he will know to look. I've wondered just how Airstream avoided electrolysis; answer anyone?

The tires and bearings are a given. I am not keen on towing home with iffy brakes or shocks so they may be addressed the same time as the tires and bearings. The deep wrap wing windows appear to be original and a rock guard will be professionally installed immediately. Anyone ever put a rock guard on the rear deep wrap wing windows?

I knew about the rear end sag in the Airstreams but, so far, have not read that it did affect the Argosy.

Thanks for your insights. They will help me make an informed decision.

Al's cousin
Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Al, congrates on your find. Our Unit is having a rally not too far from you in Shartlesville Oct 1-4. Why not bring your new trailer and join us. You will see other argosy there and meet some real nice folks to camp with.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote