Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #71
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
...Or would you just remove the screen completely so it's one less thing you have to worry about when in an actual "emergency"?
Dennis
hi millva'

yep i removed the screens for my exercise.

the red knobs (all 4) will need to removed and reinstalled for the drill (it's a simple hex driver)

then reinstall everything afterward.

besides the screws a/s uses to secure the screens are ALL way to long,

which makes cleaning the window channel a bloody mess,

so this gives u the chance to replace with shorter screws or snip off the ends on the originals!

cheers
2air'

i'd also position a step stool outside the window and consider using a pillow or blanket or jacket or cushion on the lower window rim...

have a great drill, make it fun an try it in the day light and after dark...

fire drills can be made like easter egg hunts or action/adventure episodes, and without fear of ACTION.

yes the piping loop is how the screen is removed quickly and it's a pia to get tight again...

just make sure the kids know IF they need to get out not to worry about being nice to the screen,

PULL IT KIDDOS!!!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, just for referrence, but the escape window on the rear of my Safari [BVD] is made for that purpose only, to escape. It is very easy to get to, open, and get out of because it is an escape window only, and there is no screen.

Note: The large window on the right is the escape hatch.

[Also parking / backing lessons given for a price. $$$$$]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0706 (Large).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	54230  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I would much rather pop out Robert's rear safety window than my stacked side smaller window used in the 2007s, and let's hope I haven't eaten too much chocolate by then to fit through the opening from my burning bed. But I won't be doing any fire escape simulations through the window and wounding myself to practice. In the end it would be a necessary choice of flame vs broken bones or skin or at least nasty bruises or possibly unconsciousness, but until then I can't see how suffering through a practice or trying to avoid injury now with items not available in a crisis situation will help me through an actual emergency later. Now if I were writing an expose on safety or trying out for a test dummy, maybe...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I would much rather pop out Robert's rear safety window than my stacked side smaller window used in the 2007s, and let's hope I haven't eaten too much chocolate by then to fit through the opening from my burning bed. But I won't be doing any fire escape simulations through the window and wounding myself to practice. In the end it would be a necessary choice of flame vs broken bones or skin or at least nasty bruises or possibly unconsciousness, but until then I can't see how suffering through a practice or trying to avoid injury now with items not available in a crisis situation will help me through an actual emergency later. Now if I were writing an expose on safety or trying out for a test dummy, maybe...
Yep, Wait til the adrenaline is a pumpin and you'll fly out of that window.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
first night after original post

Hi guys
Last night we spent our first night in our 2008 27'FB since 2air' started this thread.

We've tried to make decisions that would make our camping experience fun and as "safe as possible". We bought a new tv to pull our AS and had a HAHA installed. Bought two 5lb fire extinguishers to have "just in case".

I woke up at 4 am this morning to the VAROOOOM of our heater going on. The thermostat is set at 62 and the air outside is about 40. Every 5 min the heater went on for 5 min. and then after that the water heater kicked on.

I laid in bed wondering...... would it be safer to just shut the LP at bedtime?

I wonder if this is one of 2air's main safety concerns regarding the newer FB models? The fact that the 15 gallon LP tanks act as our "head board" and the LP pipes run right under the bed?

I'm thinking about using a plug in oil filled radiator type heater to heat the trailer.
We use them at home and at the office and have never had a problem with them....just set the thermostat and leave it alone. (it would be a lot less noisy)

Do you use your heater at night? Ever thought of tuning the LP off as a safety measure? (if it actually makes a difference)

Is it more "dangerous" to use a space heater?
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
From what I've read, space heaters seem to work well in an Airstream unless you have freezing conditions.

One of the pluses is if you're at a campground, you're using the electricity you paid for instead of your propane.

The only drawbacks to me would be:
1. having to navigate around it in a confined space like the Airstream
2. not working without 120v

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Dennis, we turn off the hotwater heater at night or run it on electric and sometimes the water pump (keeping toilet flushing from kicking on the pump and utilizing the last water ready in the pipes...works once anyway.) We set the thermostat down low and use electric mattress pads to warm the beds. It's a might chilly when we get up but it is nice to breathe the cooler air and doesn't seem so stuffy and dry. You could use a portable heater, just make sure you run the furnace when it is below freezing enough to warm your tanks. Have you a heat pump, do you like that constant fan noise for sleeping better than the furnace blasting at intervals? When it gets to freezing it will automatically make your furnace run to heat the tanks.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We turn off the water heater at night and turn it on in the morning. It's so well insulated, it retains a lot of the heat overnight. If we're just going to use a little hot water in the morning, the water is probably hot enough to leave the heater off, but I don't think we've tried that yet. The water heater is almost under the bed (actually under some drawers next to the bed) on the 25' FB and listening to it during the night is neither pleasant nor does it feel safe.

Dennis, it sounds like your furnace may be short cycling if it's on for 5, off for 5, on…. My manual for the furnace and the thermostat does not tell me anything about an adjustable hi-lo switch. There is a limit switch which may be that switch, but it doesn't appear accessible. When you set the thermostat and the temp drops low enough, the burner lights, after a while, when the air is hot enough, the fan goes on. When the temp gets high enough at the thermostat, the burner goes off and the fan soon after. There are switches to control that.

At 40˚ outside, it seems to me a 5 minute interval is too short. When we were camped and it was 15˚ outside, it did seem the furnace cycled pretty quickly though not quite that fast. With lots windows and less insulation than at home, the Airstream loses heat pretty fast so it may cycle faster than a forced air system at home. So, unless you understand furnaces and feel confident looking for an adjustable switch, call the dealer—which you may have to do anyway.

We have usually turned off the water pump at night (exactly 2 nights so far) while boondocking because if there are any air bubbles in the system, the pump may go off for a few seconds in the middle of the night. These pumps are noisy, especially when sleeping. For the 3 am trip to the toilet, I get to turn on the pump and make noise anyway.

Enjoy the 27' FB—we really liked the floor plan, but wanted the shortest unit with a queen and I wasn't sure it was a good match with our truck. It was sure tempting though.

Gene
Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #79
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Our water heater is a standing pilot type--it's brand new, but the less sophisticated model. The standing pilot keeps the water hot all night without kicking on.
In the grand scheme of things it probably wouldn't matter, but you could turn off one of the LP tanks before bed. A little less fuel for a fire, should one start, though I think one tank would be sufficient to create a stream-b-que.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have, in another post, mentioned that I use an oil filled heater. It works great. I set the thermostat to 66 degrees [on my furnace] just in case the oil filled heater couldn't keep up. I set my heater to #4 out of 0-#6 and the watt switches to medium. [900 watts] No noise, no orange glow, and no air depletion. My water heater only kicks on about twice during the night, so I leave it on. When I don't have hook ups, I only turn on the water pump as needed, then turn it off. I do not turn my gas off at home and I don't see the need to turn it off in my trailer while I'm camping.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
I just noticed my themostat has two possible modes for heating. Furnace OR Heat Pump mode. What's the difference?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
I just noticed my themostat has two possible modes for heating. Furnace OR Heat Pump mode. What's the difference?
Hi, the furnace runs on propane and the heat pump is part of your roof air conditioner.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, the furnace runs on propane and the heat pump is part of your roof air conditioner.
Thanks Robert
So the heat pump with the themostat runs on electricity? I can turn off the propane at bedtime and the heat pump/air conditioner will keep a steady temperature that I set on the "Comfort Control Center"?
Dennis
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
A little less fuel for a fire, should one start, though I think one tank would be sufficient to create a stream-b-que.
More than enough.

I'm usually one of the folks to err on the side of caution, but propane in a properly working system is pretty safe. I leave mine on. The only time I turn my water heater off is if I don't want to listen to it all night.

GoingCamping mentioned adrenaline in an earlier post.
While I agree with the idea that you need to be aware/familiar with the use of emergency exits - don't develop the mindset that those, or the door are your only two ways out. Any window large enough to get through is a potential exit. Kick the window out or use something to break it. Fire can be a great motivator and will get your adrenaline going...

Remember, none of this will mean anything if you sleep through the fire due to a dead battery in the smoke detector.

There have been some valid points raised in this thread. If nothing else, I feel that the awareness being raised is a good thing.

Dave