Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Uxbridge , Ontario
Any info on dealing with Colonial in NJ?

Hi there

I am an AS hopeful and am looking at a few different trailers...anyone out there got anything I should about dealing with Colonial...right now we are emailing back and forth but I am feeling a little in the darl. Current topic is a preowned, 2004 CCD ...what are the big and little questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance! I need all the help I can get!

Nicole (the newbie)
caberneigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I did get a quote on some parts from them, Inland was half the price and much more knowledgeable. I don’t know anything about their trailer deals. I recommend Airhog1 of Airstream of Arkansas. Inland RV and Airstream of Arkansas have a presence on the forum which I think speaks volumes about their service and deals. YMMV.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
They are a used car lot turned into a dealership. They are known for their pricing on NEW rigs but having been to the shop don't expect any level of parts or service. This is surprising because in the past Airstream has had required dealers to maintain a level of parts. One customer drove from Washington state saving close to $8,000.00 on a new trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Colonial is also here on the forum.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Have you talked to Andrew at Can-Am in London? He goes by Andrew T on the forum.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I'd also give Gene @ Airstream of Arkansas a call. Great dealer, great service department. He would make it worth the drive. It was for me.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard!!

From various posts here and word of mouth. They have a very good sales reputation. Made several inquiring calls myself, the sales staff seems knowledgeable and does COURTEOUS follow-ups, with a thorough customer orientation. They offer "lot camping".

High volume= good price in most cases.

Cannot comment on the Service Department.

Does EVERYTHING work?

Any leaks? Ck roof caulking and vents for cracks. Extent of filiform corrosion. New batterys? What brand hitch?

Just checked the web site, if thats the one...it does appear to have quite a few dents, the interior one is a little puzzeling. (po=previous owner, inexperience?) The fact that they were even included in the ad is a plus. Work with 'em on that price!!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've had excellent experiences with Colonial. We bought our AS there a couple of years ago. Minor warranty work was handled well.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
north shore , Massachusetts
i worked with lauren and david on my new as purchase and give them a thumbs up so far.solid help on financing as well.
vunico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I haven't had any first hand dealing with them but..I KNOW that as a "Family Run Operation", they do cut-throat any deals you make anywhere else.. (send me a pm)
My question to you is this..How much are you willing to drive out of business a dealership close to you?? for a cheap price? Just remember this..when you need warranties or help and, are forced to drive hundreds or thousands of miles for crappie work..Don't come on here and, expect any of us to comfort you..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Colonial is Fantastic!

I bought mine there and they are wonderful from beginning to end.
After my maiden trip I had some items to address and they bent over
backwards to work with me so I could get the work done when I was going by their door.

Customer Service from the first hello just never quits.

Everyone is so great...the whole staff...I can't say enough good things about them all...
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Sales (Patrick B.) and service (Bill H.) staff were fine. I had an unpleasent experience with the GM (David S.). He "baited and switched" on terms after I drove 300 miles with a trade-in. If I had known this was going to happen, I would have taken my business elsewhere. I also had to make the trip twice, because they couldn't prepare the AS the day of the sale.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #13

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sparta , New Jersey
Colonial NJ - Thumbs UP

Bought a new 25' Safari SE last year as a newbie and this year traded it for an 05 30' Safari.

Their customer service is outstanding. Patrick and Lauren and Tony in service are very knowledgeable and helpful. Not to mention patient. They have been happy to keep answering my inane questions as we continue to learn what we are doing.

They don't budge on price but the service level that has come with the unit has been excellent. As a local dealer they have kept me running all year.

They installed a Hensley Arrow hitch and Brakesmart controller for me.

If I need anything I usually leave the trailer with them from one weekend to another so they have all week to get parts and work on the unit......I had a few self inflicted wounds.

We have been very pleased and would highly recommend.
SSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The point is moot, as the trailer in question is no longer listed in Colonial's inventory. Either the person starting this thread a month ago, or someone else, has purchased the unit.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I have had good luck with Colonial RV -- We did not buy our AS from them, but have used the service department several times for maintenance and warranty repairs and have been satisfied with the work and the staff. I am going to have them do some AV work in a few weeks -- having them wire my tv into the stereo speakers.

So another thumbs up for Colonial from me.

Tom
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Colonial Airstream

We are considering buying a late model Airstream from Colonial in New Jersey, based on photos and descriptions. Wouldn't think of such a thing except from the most reputable of dealerships.

Would Colonial Airstream meet this high standard?

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
There is one very important thing to keep in mind when dealing with Colonial. They are very close to the ocean - lots and lots of salt air - so examine anything you buy from them very carefully for corrosion. This is particularly important for trailers that have been sitting on their lot for an extended period of time.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Waverly , Pennsylvania
I purchased my then new 2003 trailer from Colonial. At that time they were more of a used truck dealership. Although they were an Airstream dealer the number of trucks far outweighed that of Airstreams by about four to one.

I had trouble picking up my trailer after the sale because although they told me that I could pick it up on a Saturday, once the sale was complete they told me I would have to pick it up during normal business hours on a week day. This was due to service being closed on Saturday. When I reminded them of their original promise they said they would honor it, but subsequently told me that it would cost them too much for the mechanic and I would have to come during the week.

They were originally going to install the hitch and brake controller. I had this work done locally and they still wouldn't let me pick up my trailer on a Saturday. I was told that service needed to be there to check out the integrity of the hitch and brake controller work.

I finally had a weekday off from school and went to pick up my trailer. My walk through took less than 30 minutes and I really felt rushed. Fortunately the systems are pretty easy to understand. They did give me some mis-information concerning the waste tanks, but that wasn't an issue as I got the correct information on a forum.

I had some minor warranty work and took the trailer back down to New Jersey. I left the trailer and when I called to check on the work and make arrangements to pick it up was told that the work wasn't completed as AS sent the wrong parts on one item. They told me that I could leave it there or come and pick it up while they awaited the arrival of the parts. We had a camping trip planned so I asked them to lock the keys inside the trailer as I would arrive after closing. They forgot to lock the keys in the trailer.

I never did get the warranty work completed. Every time I called they had an excuse; expanding the service bays, paving the lot, AS sent the wrong parts again (X3) or they getting ready for an RV show.

Finally I asked if they would please send me my keys back. I was told that they lost the keys when they remodeled the show room. I got no offer to send blanks so that I could have keys made locally or reimbursement for my key chain (3-D Airstream). When I asked them for a set of blanks I was told that it was not their policy to replace items that they had lost.

That is my experience with Colonial Airstream in New Jersey.
nayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The point is moot, as the trailer in question is no longer listed in Colonial's inventory. Either the person starting this thread a month ago, or someone else, has purchased the unit.
But can't we keep it going as a YEA/NAY thread on Colonial?

Didn't close any deals with Colonial... did have a few conversations with Lauren. Seemed nice enough.

They were sporting a used 30 Classic S/O some time back. Lots of pictures inside and out, with the slide OUT, and the stabilizer bars UP.

Can't be too detail oriented when you're dropping that kind of coin....
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Would anyone in Colonial's area be kind enough to stop and look at a unit for us?

Doug and Cheryl
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colonial nj, first time help, questions before buying, buying