Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
...and he (TrulyVintageTrailers) posted on TinCanTourists today! Seems to be alive and still in Business...

Bjoern

PS: and he sells on the Classifieds of TCT...

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaggy
Please folks- I'm not sure why I wasn't warned enough about these thieves, but there should be a way to support the unknowing buyer who wants to get into an Airstream by warning us about people like Truly, Centers, Jarzabek and whatever other name they have come up with. They've ripped off others, there is no way they can claim they are legit, or sue for slander when people warn about them. Myself and these others- Karen and Lynn and who knows what others have been victimized- have to be protected, warned....
oldbaggy - the problem is unless we've got personal experience with these or any folks it's all conjecture. How to maintain a civil forum and also have debates about the credibility of certain members just seems to me to be a difficult if not impossible thing. I have been on other forums where one person comes on with a statement, the other person comes back at them, and others get involved trying their best to mediate, and it becomes a nightmare for all concerned. To our forum founders and moderators significant credit they do not allow this to happen here and it is what makes this such a great forum.

I agree it would be great if there was a place to go to check on the credibility of a vendor or any seller but what a legal and logistical nightmare that would be - and in many cases the buyer can just as easily be the problem, so then how to track that. I guess all a person can do is to post a mail on each of the many forums that they are interested in acquiring a product from such a person/vendor and if anyone is aware of why they shouldn't please send a personal email with some details. I don't know of any other way.

You have an opportunity here to go to the post office and make them aware of what has transpired so at least the things you can do with your limited mobility you should consider doing. Often less than credible vendors rely on people's willingness to let a deposit go and just not be bothered with all the follow up it takes to have them exposed. If you just let it go then it leaves the next person exposed. Kinda crappy eh ?(my Canuck'ness coming out )

Good luck with this - it's never fun being taken advantage of no matter what or how small it is - but it's how you react that will make the difference.

Barry
Old 12-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #43
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile

Hi OldBaggy,

So sorry about your loss, ya know I too lost the deposit on my first Airstream (not to Vintage trailers) but to a private person, of course in retrospect there were warning signs!.

Had I spent more time HERE at Airstream Forums.
Had I not been so eager.
Had I done more research, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, it's hard to protect ourselves FROM ourselves, a fact that many take advantage of.

Hopefully, what we learn from these experiences protect us from the really big mistakes!

While it's little consultation now, things happen for a reason.
Your trailer will find YOU, this I'm sure of.

Best regards,

Michael
Old 12-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
In Hindsight

Looks like the best advice is to purchase trailers in person.

Unless you actually know the people you are doing business with, do not buy long distance. Do not use wire transfers of money or any other unusual transactions.

Bring your tow vehicle to their site and buy in person. That way you can inspect the trailer, verify if it has a good transferable title, and you will not have to rely on someone else to deliver it.

Hindsight is 20/20
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
...and he (TrulyVintageTrailers) posted on TinCanTourists today! Seems to be alive and still in Business...

Bjoern

PS: and he sells on the Classifieds of TCT...
I see his profile on that site says "usually home...but may be out picking up vintage trailers" (or something like that) but his website says "Jim travels over 50,000 miles a year picking up and delivering vintage coaches & travel trailers".

Then, I read one of his detailed past posts here, saying how slowly he always drives on the highway to save his tires from overheating.

Usually home...but don't answer the phone...drive 50,000 miles per year...always going very slow.??? These people are fast on their feet. Very fast indeed.

John
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Jim Jarzebek is a former forums member. His account was removed about the time of his last post. Since he is no longer active, the info on his profile may no longer be accurate.

Ouch!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Done this twice

I have bought each of my two trailers off the web. The 1st from a person using Ebay and the 2nd right here from the classifieds. Both transactions went smoothly - but I have to admit - there was a lot of back and forth from both parties to ensure the deal was legit and honest. I sent the full amout of payment on the last deal 48 hours before I go to see the camper - I had a huge pucker factor going into that one - BUT, I wanted the title in hand at the time of pickup so I could insure the camper.

I guess what I am saying is that the "feel" of the deal needs to be right for both parties - ask a lot of questions, get them to send a lot of photos, and maybe get someone local to the trailer to inspect it.

Sorry if this was a scam or a deal gone bad - best of luck.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #48
Craftsman

I bought my first two Airstreams long distance too, and both transactions went smoothly. Iwould NEVER pay more than a 10% deposit and never ever pay in full before you've see what your buying. When you have agreed on the sale price and placed a deposit, I would think that this constitutes a contract. If the Airstream isn't as described you have a right to back out of the contract. If this guy is still posting on other forums and in business, I would guess that he is still ripping people off . There needs to be some way of warning other people of this couples dishonest business practices.We need a feedback forum for commerical vendors like eBays. At least there you can see what purchasers and sellers think of each others transactions.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #49
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
The internet cuts both ways!

Can I suggest that you follow Jim around to the message boards he posts to, and ask him where your deposit is, in plain sight for all to read!

As has happened on the forum (Being dropped), if you really want to prevent him from taking advantage of others, this would be the way to go.

Start with the TCT site mentioned above. Respond to his post there!

If you bothered him enough, you might just get your money back.

Post a jpeg photo of the Money order as proof, and ask him where your money is in the public forum called The Internet.

It's not slander, because he deposited your check, and you got nothing in return.

Michael
Old 12-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
ARTSTREAM - That's funny, the last trailer I bought happened to be in a satellite photo of the guys house on MAPQUEST. I cut and paste the photo and sent it to him in an email - spooked the bejesus out of him.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #51
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
One of the things I learned from this is to beware of ads like the one on VAC that doesn't list a mailing address or phone number; you can only contact through their website.

A lesson learned at oldbaggy's expense. At least I can give you a hit with my karma bat!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
ouch!

I've been following this thread and first of all commiserations to all who've been scammed. I guess it's one more reason I'm glad I bought new.

The older I get the more I think that Karma is a VERY long term thing, but the more I believe that bad stuff really happens to bad people. When I was a little girl (4 perhaps) I had the terrifying experience of playing with a friend in her nice basement rec room... when her drunken father dragged her mother downstairs for privacy, not realizing that we were there... and brutally beat her. We both stayed hidden until he left. And the shame nearly killed her mother when we came out and tried to help her, because his behavior was a "dirty little secret". I was sworn to secrecy and being an honorable if stupid child kept my word.

When I much older and learned how to overhear whispered gossip, I found out that same man was brought in to the local hospital, in very serious condition. His condition was so "unusual" that everyone heard all of the details. Seems he also ran around on his wife with very young women, and on more than one occasion the doctors had helped a girl "fix" the problem. He'd made the mistake of courting a nice Italian girl who got in trouble... and her five brothers had "counseled" him... by using a car battery, some copper wire and battery cables attached to his body in that place which had harmed their sister most. The "counselors" left him where he was discovered very publicly... with all of the specifics of what had happened to him in plain view (nekkid and taped to a telephone pole outside of a popular bar)

He lived... until he drank himself to death. I learned Karma will always exceed your most vivid imaginings.

----------------
The internet in one respect has opened a larger field of potential victims for scammers, but forums like this have allowed a lot of folks to hear about and avoid them.

I thank you all for your warnings. This forum is SO extensive that I just hope everyone who joins gets to find threads like this.... In fact, perhaps the moderators could set up an "intro and suggested reading list" for lurkers and brand new members to help them hit the critical topics (frauds, safe towing, how to use SEARCH, etc.)

(Here's a haha on me... I was so dumb when I first started thinking of getting an Airstream that I assumed my Lexus SUV (stupid useless vehicle) could tow an Airstream. It can't tow a kite!

Paula
Old 12-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #53
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaggy
The problem is that they're far away, I'm off work from an injury for an indefinite time, and am in no shape to go chasing them- the law works for them- I'd have to go file in Ohio.

Please folks- I'm not sure why I wasn't warned enough about these thieves, but there should be a way to support the unknowing buyer who wants to get into an Airstream by warning us about people ... who knows what others have been victimized- have to be protected, warned...

I have to say thanks to all you nice people who tried to give me good advice here- its appreciated.
Oldbaggy... it's called "Caveat Emptor"... an age-old latin phrase meaning "let the buyer beware". I don't know who you think should have warned you. No one warns you when you go to a legitimate dealership and get stuck with a bad used car! It's your money, you're in charge doing your homework and of spending it wisely.

Writing bad things about people is called "libel" and that doesn't go over very well either, especially in public forums. I'm not defending anyone here 'cause there's nothing to defend, but one of the things I've learned in my lengthy professional career is that there are two sides to every story, and until both sides are heard, the full picture generally doesn't come out.

There are undoubtedly things you can do to either expedite the delivery of your trailer or get a refund on your deposit, but YOU have to do them. You may not have to do anything, you may have recourse, and it may not cost you anything. On the other hand, you may need to sue in Ohio. My offer still stands if you'd like some direction. Again, if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll try to give you some avenues to pursue.

Roger
Old 12-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
'Baggy, just re-read your original post. If you used official USPS money orders you have an great chance of getting your money back. Go talk to your local postmaster. You'll be surprised how much help you'll get.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Please bear in mind that "the truth" is a complete defense in any libel or slander suit. Printing or speaking the truth or "in my opinion" type remarks are perfectly legal. I'd go get him if I were treated as you have been; however, I agree that sometimes it's just too much trouble and not worth the agony. Do what you think is best for you, but a big "Thank You" from the Forum members for letting us know about this guy. You may have saved one of us from being "taken".
Old 12-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #56
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
I've learned in my lengthy professional career is that there are two sides to every story, and until both sides are heard, the full picture generally doesn't come out.
Again, if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll try to give you some avenues to pursue.

Roger
Can't help but hear the "Cops" music in the background.

"Bad boys, bad boys. Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when the come for you. Bad boy, bad boys......"

Old 12-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The moderation team has decided to close this thread after it seems to have run its course. Remember, when purchasing anything, whether it be a new car, or a set of hubcaps, use care in your transactions.

Caveat Emptor - "a principle in commerce: without a warranty the buyer takes the risk"

Posted for the Moderation Team
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Closed Thread