Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
There is an inbetween - a Trailmanor folding hard-side trailer. They are very roomy for their towing length, have big beds, most of the amenities you'd get in an Airstream, and they're very lightweight. The later ones (2003-on, IIRC) have almost all composite construction, so the floors won't rot. I looked into buying one a few months back to upgrade from my T@B teardrop, and found you can get a rather nice late model Trailmanor for around $15k.

So why did I just buy a vintage Airstream Argosy? Frankly, we like the way the Argosy looks and we like the community. (Not that the Trailmanor folks don't have their own good forum.) Also, we enjoyed eating lunch at highway rest stops in our T@B, and didn't want to raise a folding trailer to be able to do that, or to even just pop in and grab something.

But honestly, if it wasn't for our vanity, the Trailmanor would have been a very nice trailer to own and tow.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"Airstream or Pop-up?"

2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
or steak?
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #46
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Did you guys see these?

Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - 1966 Tradewind 24' Maintained with TLC - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Vintage 1966 Airstream Land Yacht Safari 22ft Travel Trailer

I seem to be drawn to the late 60's models
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #47
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Start with a tent!
Next camping trip, listen as a pop-up is being set up.
The pop-up campers have the most colorful vocabulary.
Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion.
Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Definitely AS, even a pop up with every bell and whistle can't compare. The privacy, comfort, convenience mean everything. When I get home and it has rained, I dont have to "set up" to let it dry out before packing it away.

Good luck with your decision. Either way, it's great your getting your family out there together!

Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #49

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our first towable was a pop up. Personally I'm glad we started that way since its a nice introduction to towing and camping. Every change in vehicles over time added another level to our experience and made understand what was important in future trailers.

We always bought new so for all intents we weren't dealing with repairs or restoration issues. I always bought quality units also. At the time we had Coleman pop ups which were the class act in pop-ups. Lots of things that Coleman did that when you put them side by side with other pop ups, made the decision to go with Coleman a no brainer. That cut down a lot on frustration and reliability which led to more time camping and having fun. It also made it much easier to sell since the universe of folks looking for quality vehicles in good shape and newer vintage much larger. I sold both my pop ups within 3 years of their original purchase. Both sold used, very close to their original new sales price. My first hard sided trailer was a Hi-Lo. Hard sided walls, full bathroom and A/C. It was a great bridge between the pop up and the upright travel trailer. We paid $8,200 for that trailer new and sold it for $5,500 14 years later. The ability to keep that Hi-Lo in a garage kept a lot of wear and tear on it. It was also built like a tank with great insulation with a steel frame. It was was my first introduction to Henschen axles which Airstream used.

When the time came to move to the Airstream, we were pretty seasoned towers. The only thing we hadn't considered was the lack of a fixed dinette in our '01 Safari. We compromised there and ended up trading to get the Classic slide out with the dinette being in the slide out unit.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
We went from tent camping (which we rather disliked, but it was the only form of vacation we could afford at the time) right to an older Airstream. We considered popups and hybrids briefly, but decided that "travelling", was a priority for us as opposed to "camping". We also wanted to do this once, not lose money in a series of trades.

I also expect that we will own the Airstream for another 20 years or more. The only reason I would willingly sell it would be to get something with a nicer layout (I like the current 27FB), or to get a restored '60s trailer with real wood inside.

Parking outside in winter is fine; just be sure to wax the clearcoat at least once a year. And never put a tarp over the trailer; wind action is certain to rub bare spots in the clearcoat.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #51
Usually Sleepy
1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut

You can get a very nice ready to roll vintage Airstream for significantly less than $20K, in fact significantly less than $10k. Proof is my two trailers. I would not rule out an Airstream. Good luck with your search!!

biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote