Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

orange , California
advise for a 62 safari

Hi, I'm new to this and in the process of purchasing a 62 safari. It does not have ANY holding tanks. Was re-plumbed and I guess they thought they would only use hookups so they didn't put back the holding the black tank. There is no battery and no water heater. Needs new propane tanks as well. otherwise it is in great shape. price is $7,000. Any thoughts ?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Thoughts....

Don't even consider it....for that price. You can do MUCH better.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
My thought is that $7,000 seems high for a trailer that is missing so many important parts. How is the axle? Do the remaining LP appliances work? I'd also be wary of the plumbing job that removed all of the tanks. At the start, you'd need to put in a couple thousand dollars just to fix what the PO did. I'd keep shopping...
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
EEEK.... I agree- that's too much to pay for so much missing - and that's only what you know about now, wait till you get into it...$$$$$$!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Take a look at RJ Dial'sPrice vs Condition write-up. It will give you a realistic view of what you should pay based on the condition of the trailer you are looking at.

Unless this trailer is pristine other than the missing items I would not pay any more than $3000 for it.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Paid $900 for mine, but that was neighborhood deal and I had to pull it from the mud and dispose 4 tons of books stored inside.
Lack of holding tanks might not be a big deal even drycamping, when you can hook up the blue tote. But main purpose of TRAVEL trailer is that you can use it while traveling. The black water tank is mounted in the rear under the floor. I hope mine holds (test coming today) but if not it seems easy to replace and I see new available at Inland.
BTW what the toilet looks like? The original toilets had poor aluminium sleeve at the bottom, that turned into dust. I guess it might be the main reason for redoing the bathroom.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibell16
It does not have ANY holding tanks. Was re-plumbed and I guess they thought they would only use hookups so they didn't put back the holding the black tank.
Even if you are only using sites with full hook-ups you would need a black tank. The small amount of water that an RV toilet uses is not enough to flush the solids through the tube each use.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
It's unanimous, move on. That is too much $$. For the money you'd spend to get that one roadworthy and ready to camp in, you could buy a really nice one that has already had the work done for you. Check the classifieds here on the forums to see what is out there for a comparison.
Dave
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
62' Safari

As a owner of a 62' safari I agree with the above comments. The trailer you are describing will need many upgrades and many hundreds of hours just to be serviceable.
I still think there are many restorable units out there for half the money (or less) and that buys many of the parts you will need. Axles, refrigerator, water heat and furnace is almost three thousand right away.
Then there are the plumbing issues and new gas work, batteries and tanks. We have not begun to think about the fun stuff like upholstery and woodwork.
If you restore one of these you can invest fifteen to twenty thousand before it is finished and it can take years to complete.

It is really worth it if you start with the right trailer that is worthy of all the work and investment.
This one is priced too high to start and sounds like there are other surprises.

Good Luck
Gary
Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibell16
Hi, I'm new to this and in the process of purchasing a 62 safari. It does not have ANY holding tanks. Was re-plumbed and I guess they thought they would only use hookups so they didn't put back the holding the black tank. There is no battery and no water heater. Needs new propane tanks as well. otherwise it is in great shape. price is $7,000. Any thoughts ?
That price is out of line with what similar units in similar condition would sell for. For a good comparison take a look at the classifieds here. There are a couple of pretty decent vintage trailers where the work is already done and they are campground ready for more money, but by the time you tear into this one at that price and add all the components it will need these ones will seem like a deal. Or there are projects if so desired that are priced a lot more realistically if you have the time, location, tools and abilities or are willing to learn. Too often, though, we see projects started with great enthusiasm that in too short order are up for sale because the people either ran out of steam, out of money, or just wanted to go camping this year and not one or two or more years out, and realized they could get a done Airstream and be out enjoying it.

If you have pictures of the one you are thinking about it would help to share them.

Good luck with your search. Hope you are able to find what it is you want and stay an active participant on the Forums.

Barry