Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the great comments. I am going to keep my eyes open for a smaller trailer 17-19' (i know they are harder to find) , ideally an abandoned project. After having kept my eyes on the forum for a few weeks now, I see that half done projects do appear every now and then and I might just have to be patient.

I am enjoying the forum though!

Sarah

Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
sarah,

something to keep in mind. i dont know about in NZ, but in the US, there are certain requirements for food vendors. now if you are just selling ice cream and not actually cooking anything, you might need less equipment. but in my research, nearly any vintage trailer you buy for food service will need the frame beefed up to handle the weight (and a new axle to handle the weight). So anticipate what you will need to put in the trailer and know what weight you need...

you may as well find one in the worst condition, already gutted, etc. you might also look at avions, i tend to see them sell for less $$ (but i rarely see short ones) and most people can't tell they aren't airstreams once polished. the accomplish the same end effect.

also...then you're not chopping an airstream

Agreed the price is far, far too high. I'd almost sell you my GT for that price.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are not to hung up on it being silver. Look at an Argosy Minuet. They were made in the 70's. You could always have it painted silver.
It's much easier to keep a painted trailer looking nice. Keeping an A$ looking shiny all the time is a lot of work.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wellington , New Zealand
Hi NJtoNC
Thanks for the advice, that really makes sense. I feel that I need to use the services of a good, well respected restorer to help me refurbish an old trailer - definately new axel and ensuring subfloor is in good condition or rebuilt and making sure windows etc work .

I do like the minuet's aswell - good advice ! Then I can keep the airstream for myself

Sarah
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Napier , Hawkes Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraspberry View Post
Hi NJtoNC
Thanks for the advice, that really makes sense. I feel that I need to use the services of a good, well respected restorer to help me refurbish an old trailer - definately new axel and ensuring subfloor is in good condition or rebuilt and making sure windows etc work .

I do like the minuet's aswell - good advice ! Then I can keep the airstream for myself

Sarah
We have been told you can take a photo of a beautiful shiny airstream and you can have a digital wrap made and applied.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraspberry View Post
Thanks Melody, the max width for a container is 7.64 feet or 92inches. The safari is a bit long, but the globetrotter is a great size. Where on the forum can I find the volunteer inspector list, i cant seem to find it.
Cheers, sarah
Hi Sarah,

Two comments. One, if you need help inspecting a potential purchase please check us out. We are now signing up inspectors all over the US to inspect vintage trailers, and even if you can't find a trailer expert I know you could find a vintage car enthusiast who would gladly go look at a trailer and take photos for you.

Jewel or Jalopy - Pre-Purchase Inspections by Enthusiasts

Also, keep your eyese on the Portland, Oregon craigslist for good, usable trailers. Portland has a thriving food cart scene, many using vintage trailers, and they do come up for sale quite often. Some that have already been converted.

There are more Streamline and Silver Streaks that have been converted due to the lower purchase price.

In fact, The Grilled Cheese Grill (one of our favorite places just a few blocks from us) uses a vintage Streamline Countess.

Here's a blurry photos of it:

Good luck!

Tags
1961, 1961 bambi