Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Meyersdale , Pennsylvania
A question

Hello Friends,
I recently read that if you buy a new airstream from Jackson Center, Ohio, you are to "set it up" there and live in it to see if there are any problems with the new unit. I need to know if this is true. Secondly, I am questioning this practice, because, in my mind, I would assume that the unit should have no defects. Please set me straight on this topic. I am still looking for my first airstream. I get discouraged with some of the things that people write especially about buying a new AS, then finding things that do not work. Any information given would be appreciated. I recently attended an RV show, opened the bathroom door of a new, large unit, and the bathroom door handle came off in my hand!! I showed it to a company rep. and explained what happened. She looked at me like I was growing another head! I am puzzled about conflicting views of AS people.

Thanks,
Don S.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sorry, not true. You can not buy directly from Airstream and cannot pick up at the factory. Next best thing would be to buy from a close dealership and pick it up there. I believe there is a dealership about 40 miles away. Your assumption about no issues is also generally incorrect. Like most man made products there will always be quality control issues. Airstream seems to have their fare share of those issues. You can certainly take your new Airstream back to the factory for any warranty work required. They have an excellent service department that can repair any problems. They do have free overnight parking and will even move your trailer in and out each night for you to stay in if required.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
It's like buying a home. You walk through and develop a punch list for the builder. Often times you don't notice much or anything. Then you live in it and you notice issues you would like resolved, so you bring it to your dealer (or the factory if close enough) to have those things addressed.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Good advice here, Don. In a perfect world, each product would leave the factory in perfect condition, and would be in perfect condition when it arrives at the store. Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world. Any RV is a complicated vehicle, with many parts, all of which were made by the lowest bidder. The wonder is not the number of failures but the small number of failures compared to the total.

Newell motor homes start at $1.5 million and go up fairly rapidly. They only make a couple dozen coaches each year. Think they are perfect? Hardly. They have 24/7/365 help line for any Newell owner, no matter how new or old the coach. Why? Because it is needed.

An Airstream TT isn't as complicated as a Newell MH, but it is still a complicated piece of machinery. As was said above, do a thorough checkout at your dealer, make a list of what isn't right, and have either the dealer or factory fix it.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Believe me, you will have hundreds of questions about your new AS, and a lot of them won't occur to you until you are living in the trailer. So take advantage of any opportunities you get to spend time with knowledgeable folks who can not only answer your questions, but fix anything that is wrong on the spot. Later, when you go on your "shakedown" cruise, you will probably find some fastenings that were screwed in too loosely to start with, and others that were screwed in too tightly so the threads in the hole get stripped. Both conditions result in loose screws on the floor or in the couch that will need to be replaced, sometimes with larger screws that will hold in the stripped out holes. Living in a trailer, like living in a boat, involves more or less continual maintenance while on the go.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
I am still looking for my first airstream. I get discouraged with some of the things that people write especially about buying a new AS, then finding things that do not work. Any information given would be appreciated. I recently attended an RV show, opened the bathroom door of a new, large unit, and the bathroom door handle came off in my hand!! I showed it to a company rep. and explained what happened. She looked at me like I was growing another head! I am puzzled about conflicting views of AS people.
Good Hunter, be not puzzled. I turned into an RV geek when I took my first vacation in one in 2005. Then years later got serious about buying one, like you, and started looking and listening to others. I hung around a local CW store and heard horror stories of the Class A owners with their roof woes- rubber roof leaking, etc. Then the brand talk- Monaco versus Tiffin versus Holiday Rambler, etc. It was enough to scare anyone off. One of the workers there told me that so many came in with roof problems it was awful. When I focused on roofing and best towable I was told to only consider fiberglass or metal roofed trailers. Then I learned about front end caps and leaking seams. Finally I got to two contenders Galieo RV (all fiberglass) and Airstream (all metal). I shopped new at first then considered used. Galileo was fairly new and not available used as much as Airstream. So, that is how I made it out of the shopping maze. Each unit is made not by machine so #47 can be well built and #48 may have a section for example where a particular guy's screw gun is set too high and strips screws. They look good until things get shaken a bit. This is the way of the industry. At RV shows I've had a laptop desk come apart in my lap - (Winnebago), A step handle bottom attachment come loose (some brand motorhome) and a floor pop up and down while walking in the bedroom (Airstream). I watched as a customer and sales man got caught in a triangle chalet pop up and break the table or bed panel not sure which from a faulty latch- glad I was outside.