Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry W View Post
We have a 31 foot, center bath, '78 Sovereign that had a double bed in the rear. I did some measuring and found that a standard queen mattress would fit if we we willing to sacrifice walk around access. A plywood platform that fit the new queen footprint was installed on top of the existing platform, and the standard mattress was installed. The most exciting part was finding that the "no turn" (read cheapened) mattress could not be bent and required removing the street side ceiling cabinets to get it in. The conversion was made five years ago and has worked well.
I second the "wall to wall rear bed" approach...below is a dimensional pic of the rear bedroom of a '78 Sovereign...

I built a "total platform" over the two existing twin beds, brought in a "Sleep Comfort" Queen sized bed (these beds break down into small, lightweight pieces), and filled in the "open spaces" with a heavy latex foam. I left the areas to the front of the trailer open, great places to stow flashlights, glasses, drinks, and use as a sort of a "night stand" area.

A King Sized "Tee-shirt" fitted sheet does an adequate job of holding everything together, and standard king bed coverings are used elsewhere. Note that the two "Bolster" dimensions to the front of the trailer are in error - the bath side (curbside) dimension is a few inches longer than the closet (driver's) side. From memory, 36" and 31" I believe.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #16

1970 25' Caravanner
Corona , California
Hello everyone, I am currently looking to purchase a 1970 24' airstream international, and I am trying to find any information on trailer. is there such a trailer? thanks

G Torres

Old 11-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Red face Bph

So Dennis I see you got the bed crammed in there sideways. What I want to know is how yall got the t-shirt (bedsack) on and how do yall get it off for cleaning?
I can imagine why the filler at the rear, but why the fillers on each side (street & curb)? Would I be correct that you sleep nearest the front of the trailer? Or as might be called the "prostate side"?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Torres View Post
Hello everyone, I am currently looking to purchase a 1970 24' airstream international, and I am trying to find any information on trailer. is there such a trailer? thanks

G Torres
Welcome to the forums!
International is an upgraded trim level that was available during that era, it is not a model. Starting in 1969 and running through the 70's the size of the trailers remained the same. There were no 24' models. The Safari was 23' and the Trade Wind was 25'. Both were available with the International trim level. The VIN of the trailer should easily tell you what it is. The second and third digit would be the length. This website: Vintage Airstream Photo Archives lists the different models and sizes.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
So Dennis I see you got the bed crammed in there sideways. What I want to know is how yall got the t-shirt (bedsack) on and how do yall get it off for cleaning?
I can imagine why the filler at the rear, but why the fillers on each side (street & curb)? Would I be correct that you sleep nearest the front of the trailer? Or as might be called the "prostate side"?
We sleep East-West, and the requirement for the "full area bed" is such that pups, grandkids, flashlights, and clothes do not drop into the bottomless abyss on the three non-accessable sides and be forever lost and forgotten in the bowels of the trailer.

You are entirely correct about the prostate position for sleeping, although the situation is recently much improved.

There is a 2" "Memory Foam" slab over the entire bed cut to fit the rear bedroom. The two rear corners are pulled up first (one at a time) and the respective corners of the fitted sheets are stuffed into the "filler" areas - there is enough "give" at the corners of the Sleep Number bed that the fitted sheet goes all of the way down to the plywood base. This, of course, requires that you be "on the bed" while putting down the fitted sheet. The "front" two corners are installed similarly, but does not require a "bed mounted" position to slip the fitted corners of the sheets into the bolsters. The rest of the bed clothes are sort of a duvet style, so stuffing them in neatly can be accomplished by starting from the curbside rear and working around to the drivers side front. The bed is not that difficult to make up, it just requires that you refine a technique of positioning the sheets and covers about where you want them prior to starting to fit from the rear.

Below shows a shot of the bed from the hallway to the rear trailer window.

Below is shot from the rear drivers side corner to the curb side front.

And, lastly, a shot of the forward drivers side of the bed. The small "ledge" areas to the front, and on either side of the hallway were originally filled with bolsters also, but we found that we really did not neet the room on the bed, the opened ledges made ingress and egress (especially the latter) easier, and any pups, kids, drinks, etc. dropped in this area were easily retrieved. The ledges also make a great area for stowing flashlights, glasses, slippers, clocks, and other necessities often required in the middle of the night.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 11-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Guys,
Help me out with something I just don't understand. From looking at the .pdf of the trailer weights over the years, it appears that there was a huge jump in trailer weights in 1982 that continues to this day.

A 1981 center bath 31 ft Excella weighed 4680. The same trailer in 1982 weighed 6800. A new 27 footer weighs 7600.

What makes these trailers so much heavier than the older units? Are the frames stronger, the skin thicker? I have heard that the new units are heavier because they have Corian countertops. That simply cannot account for a near doubling of the trailer weights.

I am interested in this issue because trailer weight impacts towing and gas mileage, and I would much rather have 4680 lbs pushing me down Black Mountain than 7600.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
1977 27ft Overlander Rear Bath here With 2 double beds one NOSE and one Curb side before the bath We love it. Front is a couch all the time unless we have guests.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck025 View Post
What makes these trailers so much heavier than the older units?
Some of it is due to an increase in width in later-day trailers.

Also, some of the difference is absorbed in the higher levels of standard content in newer models. The older (70s) brochures note that you need to add weight for options - that includes the air conditioning that is standard on newer models.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Thanks. That makes sense. I can see how the COMBINED effect of corian countertops, solid oak cabinetry, upgraded fixtures, and also the increased width of the units would contribute to their added weight.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
If you buy a 21+ feet with center bath you can redo the bedding in the back for $$ and make a nice queen size bed in a Vintage model.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck025 View Post
Guys,
Help me out with something I just don't understand. From looking at the .pdf of the trailer weights over the years, it appears that there was a huge jump in trailer weights in 1982 that continues to this day.

A 1981 center bath 31 ft Excella weighed 4680. The same trailer in 1982 weighed 6800. A new 27 footer weighs 7600....
Besides the frame, AC and other options, and width, a substantial weight gain is in the floor - in the '78 Soveriegn the entire floor is 1/2" plywood (true 1/2" thick).

The 1/2" makes for a "soft walk" on any vintage trailer. The MDF and OSB used on the newer trailers are certainly stronger (before they get wet, anyway) and much, much heavier.

Better? - I don't know - that's a matter of opinion.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GussyTX View Post
Together?? You mean like in the same bed?? Haha!!
We travel with our three children that still live at home, age 9, 7, and 6. We have the bunks in the back of our '78 Argosy and the fold down couch in the front. We also add an inflatable mattress on the floor for our 6 year old at night. Actually, the setup works really really well, 5 people sleeping in there!! Of course, it doesn't suit sleeping together ... call it birth control ...
What, 3 kids isn't enough of a birth control We have a front fold out couch. twin. I didn't think it was that big.. And we really like each other.

But it was like sleeping on top of each other. Which can be fun But we also need some sleep. with 2 kids

We are redoing it. Making a wrap around that will be a queen, I hope..

The kids sleep ( 2.5 and 5.5 years) on the bunks I have just made (well not yet because I am still redoing it) and I also have a dinette on the other side.. We had twin beds in the mid section.

If you can't find what you want, you can always make changes...

Thats the fun of an older trailer...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote