1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
What to buy ???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
Hello all,
We are looking for an Airstream probably around 24 feet or less, that sleeps 4 and doesn't need too much work for not very much money. We want to be able to camp in it right away. That's not too much to ask is it?

My question to all of you is what are the pros and cons of the various decades of trailers?

Any help or advice is appreciated. This is a big investment, and we want to be sure we make the right decision for us.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TexasAggie,
You have much advise on here to consider, I would strongly advise with the Vintage Ralley coming up that you not be in a hurry, and go to it and ask many of the questions you asked here of owners there. Listen to those that have owned different size trailers as they will give you answers close to your search and what size is really best. Write all your questions down between now and then so you forget none, another piece of advise is not look for one in a certain price range yet but look for what will best fit your needs not only now but for at least 3-5 years in the future, such as are you going to need more space (kids grow)? Answer this- where will I put the kids when it rains? will I have enough room for them inside for an extended period of time (such as all day or days)?
Once you have answered all your questions found what you need and want then you will be in a excellent position for the price part. This will lead to you finding the unit best for you and at a price you can afford.
I am betting that you change from the 22 to a 28, not much difference in towing, but has the added space for growth. Also many can be found in a resonable price range.
On this forum there is links for persons who inspect A/S trailers, use them, also consider something further away from you such as here in the South East rural areas.

Mark "Sarge" Hutchens

Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #30

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
We made the trip from Houston to the Texas Vintage Airstream Rally this weekend. Thanks for everyone's input and knowledge (and on the forum). My husband and I had a great time and everyone was incredibly welcoming and inviting into the airstream fold.

After all that we saw, we think we have a better idea of what we want - we like the layout of the mid-seventies with the middle bath, rear bedroom and angled kitchen counter. I am also leaning towards some of the recommendations given earlier here, such as in a longer model anywhere between 27'-31'. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of a '75-'78 models airstream Overlander thru Sovereign. My husband was not as particular, he still wants a 60's model.

One consideration that I have is tow vehicle. My husband tells me we have a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton V8. He thinks we'll be okay, but I wanted to get opinions since some of the trucks we saw there, he tells me, were 3/4 & 1 ton. That's all I need is to give him a reason to get a bigger truck.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks again for everyone's kindness at the rally. It made us leave there wanting a big, shiny Airstream even more.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
One consideration that I have is tow vehicle. My husband tells me we have a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton V8. He thinks we'll be okay, but I wanted to get opinions since some of the trucks we saw there, he tells me, were 3/4 & 1 ton. That's all I need is to give him a reason to get a bigger truck.
Hi, either you can find a trailer, in a size and weight, that your existing truck can handle properly; Or you can find your dream trailer and deal with the tow vehicle capabilities at that time. Seems most people on the forum choose the trailer first because they plan to keep it much longer than the tow vehicle. And then there are some who change trailers several times until they find the one they should have bought in the first place.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
for not very much money. We want to be able to camp in it right away. That's not too much to ask is it?
I'm the down'r here...
We started our Airstream life with a 63 Safari, "everything worked", but not very well. It took two seasons to fix the everything works 'til everything worked. It was not a, "not very much money" experience. Was it worth it? You Bet!! We loved that coach for 18yrs and would have kept it had we had the room. But time changes things, and the "let's get camping" theme became more important to us.
Enter the 03 Classic. It has been a different experience. We are now learning how to maintain all the "new" stuff. One thing I think we all can agree on, owning any Airstream takes time and effort. But...the effort is worth it. I have gotten a perverse satisfaction in doing the warranty repairs myself, with a lot more attention to detail.

IMHO Bottom line, do your research here, it's your best tool. And if getting started right away is indeed your primary goal, go for the newest within your budget. Consider what is available in our classified section.

Good luck and keep us posted.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
We made the trip from Houston to the Texas Vintage Airstream Rally this weekend. Thanks for everyone's input and knowledge (and on the forum). My husband and I had a great time and everyone was incredibly welcoming and inviting into the airstream fold.

After all that we saw, we think we have a better idea of what we want - we like the layout of the mid-seventies with the middle bath, rear bedroom and angled kitchen counter. I am also leaning towards some of the recommendations given earlier here, such as in a longer model anywhere between 27'-31'. Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of a '75-'78 models airstream Overlander thru Sovereign. My husband was not as particular, he still wants a 60's model.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks again for everyone's kindness at the rally. It made us leave there wanting a big, shiny Airstream even more.
Texasaggie- good move. Nothing like seeing for yourself and trying one on to check the fit! Lots of good advice from Rc and R-RUS above too....

Don’t let the ¾ ton/1 ton thing scare you. They are not really “bigger” just more capable. If you intend to buy larger than 25’, this is where you should be looking in TV’s. You already own the ½ ton, so you may try it (if you are within specified limits-you probably will be close) but don’t be surprised if your desire to “do more, see more, live more” steers you toward a more capable TV in the future…you won’t be the first.

Bill
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
It's one thing to "camp" right away. It's another for everything to work right away. You can buy a renovated vintage trailer where most things work, but this isn't necessarily "cheap." The bottom line is that vintage isn't really cheap... but then again, you generally get what you pay for. Buying an older trailer may seem inexpensive when you look at the price tag. And if you are relatively handy, you can do a fair amount of work yourself but it doesn't take long to run a pretty stiff tab replacing, repairing or upgrading things. Probably the cheapest way to get a camp ready Airstream is to buy someone else's restoration or look for a deal on a 90s era coach. I think going to a rally and looking is a great idea. Knowledge is power.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
I was at the rally and could have given you insight of my own. I have a mid bath 1975 Ambassador that was rennovated will everything new. It is quite roomy, and works great. If you are interested, some pics can be seen at my blog listed below. More pics can be seen on Flickr if you want to see them.

Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Asking too much

Quote:
Hello all,
We are looking for an Airstream probably around 24 feet or less, that sleeps 4 and doesn't need too much work for not very much money. We want to be able to camp in it right away. That's not too much to ask is it?
I am sorry but I think it is not possible.....sleeping 4 in 24 feet or less would be very cozy indeed. Not sure what "not very much money" means but trailers that don't need much work are generally pricey and even some that do need a lot of work can be pricey....the trick is to figure out how much work it is going to need. The trailer can look great and everything can "work" but if it has a rotten floor, none of that matters....the floor is an integral part of the structure of the trailer. And replacing a rotten floor is not easy or cheap--unless you inherit one for free.... This is just IMHO......On the other hand, there is nothing like an Airstream be it 60's 70's or 80's. Good luck in your quest.....you can find all the answers to your questions here. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #37
Airstringers

2007 19' Bambi
Irving , Texas
Howdy Ag,
My wife and I are shopping for our first AS.
As much as I like the older ones, my wife knows how long it would take me to
work on one, and of course I know nothing about maintenance on a trailer.
We've pretty much decided to go new (or at least newer) thinking there'll be
less to fix and less time till we're on the road.

Fish Bell - F2 "What's it to you snake?" - '75
Good luck and keep in touch.

(My Aggie son lives in Houston by the way)
Old 05-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Airstream Choices 70s and Texas

Howdy from Houston. I looked for a long time and went with a 72-25' Tradewind. It's not as big to haul as the 30 footers but does have a separate cabin with beds in it and a curtain to separate the "bedroom" from the front couch bed when our 12 yr. daughter can sleep with a friend. Smaller trailers have kind of an open one room concept. Bigger ones are more to haul and if you're new to trailering then pulling a 30 footer is something to try before you buy. I had hoped to find mine in Texas or nearby but it didn't happen. Had seen some close by but the deals didn't work out. Once you decide the model you want and the target year then be prepared to pay what it takes. Some one else is always out there with more money to spend, especially if the trailer you want is restored and ready to go. Even then make sure all systems work and are tested. Thought mine was and wound up putting in a new fridge and toilet the first month. There are a lot of the "I'm selling this trailer for a friend" or the "Don't know if anything works" sellers out there. In that case you can assume that they don't and you WILL be putting lots of money into the coach to get it to where you want. It's not hard to fix one up, but you need to expect to spend the additional money after purchase.