Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Huntley , Illinois
Talking 25' vs 27' and length concerns

We would like to upgrade for our 22 FB sport to get twin beds and larger capacity for long distant traveling and many overnights. We have heard that the 25 can be accommodated in most National Parks and not too many people have issues in state parks.
We are also considering the 27 FB for more space and comfort. Has anyone had issues with the length of a 27 in national parks? Are there other length issues that we have not considered?????

Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
yakima , Washington
Hello, We understand your concerns and we had them as well. We pull a 27FB and have not found any park that could take a 25 but not a 27. Both are very good trailers, no bad choices.

Good luck,
Mike

Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I doubt two feet is much of an issue, but you have to draw the line somewhere. We drew it at 25', front dinette. We found the rear dinette does not work well in many RV resorts we like to use in our winter travels (six months) because we are usually back to back with another RV. The activity areas are in front.

The other 27' model is the 28' which is the same length but rear bed and front lounge. The dinette on the 25/27's is not as comfortable as the one on your 22' Sport if you're going to spend much time in there. A solution is to replace the dinette with recliner(s) which is in process; one new Villa Lift recliner as used in the Airstream 30 as an option, ordered and shipped same day.

doug
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
We just stayed at 2 national parks, and never saw anything about length restrictions. Our 26' Streamline fit just fine everywhere we went.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Get the larger trailer. You will enjoy the extra room.

Our previous AS was a 31'. We had one camp spot for one night that was a small issue in the Grand Tetons. And, that was because we did not make reservations, and had to take an open spot.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
We mostly camp in state parks and national parks accross the US. Never had a problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We are migrating from a cross frame queen bed 25FB International (25' 11" long) to a twin bed 27FB Classic (27' 9.5" long). The extra 22.5" will show up on the street side as a wider clothes closet and longer bedroom and on the curb side it will show up as a twice as wide pantry as in the 25FB and wider kitchen counter spaces. (Note that the 27FB Flying Cloud and International models are actually 28' long so they are 2.5" longer than the Classic 27FB)

The cross frame queen bed was the straw that broke the Camel's back for us. If I had actually been in that model (I ordered while overseas), we would have purchased the 27FB International Serenity as the queen bed is inline with the frame. We can not put anything into the front overhead storage cabinet above the pillow end of the bed without actually climbing onto the bed. Access to the storage unit to the left (above the foot of the bed) is constrained as well. Making the bed requires getting on top of it as it is impossible to stand at the side of the bed closest to the hitch. When I would sit up in bed, my head hit the bottom of the overhead cabinet. I had to try and crab walk down the bed without awakening my wife for a nightly pee run.

The 25' and longer Flying Cloud models do offer the twin bed option, but sadly the twin bed is not a standard option for any of the International models (they made one custom twin bed International unit in the 2013 model year). All the Classic models offer the twin bed option as well.

After we saw and went inside the last 2011 34' tri-axle Classic built, we fell in love with the hickory wood interior. I was chaffing at the bit to swap for that unit. But the reality of a 11,500 pound GVW that was too much for my current new 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pickup and that the 34' length would be a challenge to take off road boon docking and into some older western parks put that idea to sleep. Thus we ordered the 27FB Classic with twin beds and only the options we wanted and omitting the options most dealers install for more profit but are unusable off the power grid unless even more options are installed....

We carefully looked at the current longer Classics, but there was no way without major reworking after the sale to get a gas oven and kitchen drawers at the same time.

Spend time on the forum looking at the specific model threads. You will benefit by the experiences of the current and past owners as to their trailer's strengths and weakness.

Good luck in your search for the unit that speaks to you. That is why Airstream makes so many different trim level and length combinations. Take your time. Lots of folks get into the two footits mode - it it were only 2' longer.... and that gets expensive!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
If I was going larger I would go to the 27 just because I am not sure you gain all that much for the extra cost but we do have a 25 foot and love it. We find that it is perfect for my wife and I. One reason we bought the 25 foot was because of possible size restrictions at State and National parks but we have not found that to be the case. I have not found any of the parks we have stayed that could not fit a 27 but I always reserve on line to make sure the space is large enough. The real challenges could be backing into the space as some spaces are tighter then others to pull into however both size trailers are the same width so that should not make a difference.

The 25 works fine for my wife and I even when we bring our two young grandchildren. it would get cramped with if there parents came along but then we can always put them in a tent. HaHa, I would probabably end up in the tent.

Another consideration would be size of your tow vehicle. I have F250 diesel so it will tow the 25 and all of the extra gear going up and down grades with out a hiccup.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I needed to clarify that the current 3/4 ton Dodge could safely handle even a new 31' Classic with a 10,000 pound GVW. The 11,500 pound GVW of the 2011 34' tri-axle Classic was too much for the combined tow weight rating of the truck. It would have pulled it, but we could not put any payload into the bed of the truck.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote