Old 01-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I have a 22' CCD and refuse to go bigger. It is just the right size to squeeze into those tight and secluded National Forest campsites. Towing with my F-150 is a snap. While it is not as spacious as larger trailers or home, it provides me, my wife and 2 daughters with adequate facilities and living space for up to 2 weeks. With the awning and an EZ Up shelter, we have lots of outside cover.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have owned a 22;, a 25', and a 28' (actually 29' long). I find the 28 just as easy, all things considered, as either of the smaller trailers. The 28 is easier to back and hooking up is the same.

I can think of only 2 differences:
  • I have to consider more carefully where I go with the 28. Size is a consideration in parking lots and confined spaces/
  • The exrra width is a don't care except very rarely in construction zones. Again, it is a matter of looking ahead to keep out of trouble.

Since we tend to spend weeks at a time in the trailer, I wouldn't want one smaller at this point.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #17
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
There will be absolutely no difference in hitching/unhitching a 28' or 23' trailer. The 28' will actually be easier to back up than the 23' for 95% of the trailering population because the trailer axle is further from the tow vehicle and therefore is somewhat less responsive to steering changes (a good thing). If your only problem is with the extra 6" of width, consider purchasing some McKesh tow mirrors or other quality portable tow mirrors which will allow you to see around the trailer better without having to buy another vehicle. If money is no object, purchase a tow vehicle with mirrors that adjust sufficiently such as the F series Ford trucks. As others have posted, if you just want to trade trailers, "just because", then do it, but trading for the reasons you bring up don't seem to me to be valid reasons.
GStephens
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One thing to consider outside of what's been talked about here is that typically you see folks "upgrade" to a larger RV more often then "downgrade". Select carefully and save yourself some money by doing it once. As folks have said, there isn't much towing difference between a 23' and 28'....some, but nothing I'd be worried about.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
6" in width is only 3" per side... using towing mirrors should resolve this. Hitching/unhitching will be exactly the same between 22 and 28. If you don't have an electric jack, perhaps installing one on your current trailer would help.Additional length makes backing easier. However, added length means you must allow for a bit wider turns, and camping spots must be longer. Perhaps you are running into campgrounds that don't accomodate the extra 6'?Selling yours and buying another means cost (depreciation, taxes, fees...) and if you buy used you will inherit unknown prior problems. If your trailer is otherwise good, I would stay with what you have. YMMV
Old 01-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Tow Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druupy
I have the 28'
AND
the 6" width increase is a real big deal. I can't see behind me when towing.

I have to wiggle the trailer to get a rear view.

I am seriously looking at the 28 to 23 move myself.
28 is great to fulltime, but a thin 23 or less for the weekend, please.
I got my standard mirrors replaced with pull out mirrors - that are heated and adjustable from the inside, just like the original equipment mirrors. The WB took some adjusting to, but if you get Bigass adjustable mirrors you can do it. Real narrow country roads with mailboxes and ditches on the right and oncoming cars on the left are hairy, but usually don't have that much traffic. Don't let the wide body dictate your choice, go for the whole package. I confess if I had unlimited money I'd have a 16 Bambi for weekends - maybe even grocery shopping, keep the 22 for week long trips and go to the 27 FB SE to live in.

Gawd it's aluminitis times three!

Paula
Old 02-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Still haven't made a decision yet, but will read all replies again, and maybe again, to help with the decision.

I would like to see a 19', 23' and 25' wb lined up in a row and just go back and forth until a decision is made. Am leaning toward a 23' or a 19' with the sofa instead of the dinette.

If we buy one without a hitch, we will have to make another decision about what hitch to get. Am thinking about a Hensley or Equal-i-zer.

Thanks again for helping me think this thru.

Pat
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hi Pat, it's Rick-

Go for the 25' FB and be done with it! What a great trailer and I just love the layout. Our Safari 22' is very cool too and they don't make it anymore so we are rather attached to it. If the 25' FB were available when we were buying new it would be in the drive right now! Good luck on your decision.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have the 25' wide body. I tend to agree with those who mention the width being a problem on narrow roads or big city construction zones. It can be a handfull with a cement wall on one side and a semi on the other with an inch between the tires and the lane line. There are several narrow mountain roads in CA. I won't pull this trailer. I detour around some construction zones if I can. Once onto principal 2 lane roads or interstates, or newer suburban streets the width is no problem.

IMO just depends on how you intend to use it..what type of places are you going? Lots of urban driving on older roads, or less crowded rural driving?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I would like to see a 19', 23' and 25' wb lined up in a row and just go back and forth until a decision is made. Am leaning toward a 23' or a 19' with the sofa instead of the dinette.
Is there a dealer nearby where you could do that? Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0634 resized.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	32300  
Old 02-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Wide body

To me the width issue is largely mental. (Not altogether) I have owned and towed both.
The wide body adds something like 3" to each side. To me the biggest thing it affected was my choice of mirrors.
Dave
Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Is there a dealer nearby where you could do that? Like this?
That looks like Skyriver RV...

You are right about the biggest difference between the two widths being mirros. Once I got the proper mirrors the width issue disapeared.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I may as well throw in my 2 cents...
We have a 25' Safari. It tows great and we have experienced no problems backing into any space. I've been towing horse trailers a long time and the Safari is very easy to handle. Larger mirrors help the rear view and wife/spotter helps into the more narrow spaces. Plenty of room on the inside, and the FB floorplan suits us.
Good luck, and enjoy whichever you decide on.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Looking tomorrow

We are going to look at all three tomorrow, but doubt if they will be lined up like I would like. They are all at one dealer, about 170 miles from us.

Will be back tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

Pat