Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
2012 Airstreams

My new wife and I our awaiting our new 2012 27FB International!!! Is anyone else an owner or soon to be of a 2012? Anything we should know or anything to look forward to which I may not already know regarding what's changed for the 2012's?
BrandonJenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland

Brandon
My wife and I just purchased a 2012 25' FB Flying Cloud. Not sure of all that is new for 2012 however the TVs are bigger and it does come with a blue ray player and an upgraded radio that allows you to play your IPOD. The toilet was upgraded to a china toilet. I also think the decor lighting is upgraded. There may be other stuff but I can't remember off hand.

We should be picking it up in a week or two. Hope to see you on the road and enjoy
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
The television, blueray player and color changes are just about it.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
A couple more weeks!
Any suggestions for our first outing? My driveway is all setup for power, etc. but I think we want to drop out of civilization for a few days, just to test everything out.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from Ga. . . When we bought ours, I searched & found the closest RV park to the dealer and spent 2 days checking,trying,learning. Some comfort in having the technician guy 2 miles away. I called him 4 times and took him a 12 pack on our way out of town. Enjoy the new girl ! regards, Craig
Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Smile

We picked up our 2012 27 FB Classic in June. Nice unit, small changes like the Tv, toilet, Some models have more led lighting than earlier. I think they all come with front generator prep but not sure. Enjoy it.
justretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Thanks for the responses. Can you tell me more about the generator prep? I opted for the aftermarket 190 solar panels but I also know that won't always be enough.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The generator prep is a plug in for the power cord in the front of the trailer. Easy connect for generator in the bed of the pickup.
justretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #9

1977 23' Safari
nether-vapor , Oregon
oun1111ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
Rambling Man:
Now THAT is a good idea.
Practically like having an au pair trailer mechanic/tutor on hand.
You know not everything is going to be right, or you will know how to work it, but still, 99% drive right on out of there.....
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Fresno , Texas
Our 2012 25FB FC is slated for the assembly line around 9/1/11. Can't wait...just hope it cools off by the time we receive it, hopefully in Oct. or Nov. In the meantime, I'll just keep reading these threads and making preparations for its arrival. We also plan to spend two days at a park near the dealer to check it out thoroughly before taking it on its first trip back home.

Congrats on getting your new AS soon!
Traildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Fresno , Texas
Here's a link to what's new on the 2012:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tes-77611.html
Traildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
I have to say, for being certified green our Airstream off gasses way too much formaldehyde! My eyes and nose as well as Jenna's eyes especially have been very irritated. We have since opened all of the windows and have constantly run the fans for the last 5 days straight. It is getting better. I have also been running the heater for an hour each morning while we have been out. That way we can lesson the winter-time formaldehyde exposure.
The off gassing is the worst when closed up and heated so I have found a filter I am considering purchasing for the winter, check it out: GCX ChemiSorber http://www.iqair.com/commercial/standaloneaircleaners/gcx-series.php

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how can I address this formaldehyde off gassing issue?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
We haven't experienced this at all. But we have camped in our every night since delivery day, august 5. Only one night with no AC a few nights ago. We had every window open and 2 fans a running. I remember our SOB had so much gas it was completely intolerable. Hope it gets better for you.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
. We have since opened all of the windows and have constantly run the fans for the last 5 days straight. It is getting better. I have also been running the heater for an hour each morning while we have been out.
We opened all the windows and door and put on all the fans and turned on all appliances, don't forget to run the oven to burn off the fumes that it will put out when new. I removed the smoke detector and left the oven open as well. Plan to spend time outside while burning off all the manufacturing smells and keep at it until it dissapates. Either you are more sensitive to it than we are or it is only a temporary situation. I hope it is the latter for you and not the former.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna
I have to say, for being certified green our Airstream off gasses way too much formaldehyde! My eyes and nose as well as Jenna's eyes especially have been very irritated. We have since opened all of the windows and have constantly run the fans for the last 5 days straight. It is getting better. I have also been running the heater for an hour each morning while we have been out. That way we can lesson the winter-time formaldehyde exposure.
The off gassing is the worst when closed up and heated so I have found a filter I am considering purchasing for the winter, check it out: GCX ChemiSorber http://www.iqair.com/commercial/stan...gcx-series.php

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how can I address this formaldehyde off gassing issue?
We have a late model (May 2011) International 27FB. I don't know what the "smell" was but we had it too for the first week or so. We use it for weekends and summer holidays with the kids - 35 night so far this year. The only real issue we have had is the compressor failing on the AC unit a week after we brought it home. It go's in next week for a replacement.

One other thing of note: the wire cables that support the front hatch door are cutting into the rubber gasket. Be careful when pulling things out of the hatch because I busted one of the rivets and had to drill out and replace. Not a very good design in my opinion.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
I have to say, for being certified green our Airstream off gasses way too much formaldehyde!........Has anyone else experienced this and if so how can I address this formaldehyde off gassing issue?[/B]
B & J

Not a new problem at all, but something the factory should spend more time on addressing.

Our was so bad when we did the initial inspection that we told the dealer it was a deal breaker. During the two weeks prior to taking delivery I called frequently to check on the progress and reiterate how important it was to us. I was told it was in the shop with everything open and two shop fans running 24/7.
It was fresh when we picked it up.

But I still feel that this problem may be partially responsible for the very shoddy PDI the coach received, diversion of attention.

Bob
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Almost forgot. If you have the ultra leather be careful if you frequently remove the cushions to lower the table for a bed. The extra wide super strong Velcro does not release easily and in short order every cushion now has the Velcro separating (fabric ripped). My wife remove the hook part from the seats and replaced with smaller pieces of Velcro. When we find our way back to the dealer I will get this repaired/ replaced. Come to think of it I should take a few pictures and let them and AS customer service know now.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
From what I read, keeping it cool and or cool with windows open helps to reduce the off gassing. It only got to us over a four to five day period when we had it relatively closed up and it was warm. It was most noticeable when we stayed inside at Jenna's parent's place, felt relief, and the next day stayed in the AS again.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It probably wasn't very cool with the furnace and heat pump and oven going at once even with the windows and door open. The heat will burn off the paint and oils and residue and the open air ventilates. We do lots of cold weather camping and have spent 1-3 months shut up in it during winter months with plenty of heat or even shut up in summer never seems to bring back the new smell and irritation.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote