Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #99
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
That reminds me of a cheap modification we made. I bought some vinyl tubing, split it the long way and put it around the propane lines. This protects them from damage from the road since they are mounted underneath the trailer.

If the factory bought giant rolls of this stuff it would be very cheap and installing it before the lines were attached would be very simple. They wouldn't have to split it.

Gene
Gene,

I believe Airstream may think like my doctor.... he said he would like me to keep an eye on my waistline and should consider getting it out where I could see it.

Bob
__________________

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #100
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
Here is where the cushions will need to be cut back to (2 3/8” back on the door side and 3 3/8” on the far side) in order for the table to drop straight down. I can reposition the Velcro to keep both cushions in place for table up and table down. I don't like it one bit but have the cushions in the car to drop them off at the upholstery shop. Currently the table sits up on top of the seat supports and the cushions then lay on top of the table making it uneven on both sides. I will ultimately need to have all new cushions made to fit it properly. The seat backs need to be taller now as well as thinner so the bed surface is flat and even all the way across. The way it should have been done:

Table should be narrower.
Door side seat bottom should have a lip sticking out 1/2 – 5/8” just under the seat support.
Same on the far side.
Far side storage door and heater vent vertical should be cut down to fit under the lip.
Table should drop straight down just missing the cushions resting on the lips, trapped as well as flush.
New cushions that fit the new configuration so the bed is tight and flat.

I could see a whole new layout that would maximize the table width but it would be even more involved.

This would not really cost any extra to do it right from the start. Why??
__________________

__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #101
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
Why are the twin mattresses so narrow? I am guessing these are sized to fit the industry standard bunk beds and AS does not want to spend more for the correct width or comfort. I can’t find any of the old pictures, but remember the 79 twins to be full width as well as way more comfortable. I was considering getting different “softer” toppers at my wife’s insistence instead of buying new custom mattresses but I want the extra 3 inches of width. I will also need to install new 6 inch wider support decking on both sides as they are currently 3 inches short of supporting the current mattresses with them back against the wall 7 inches short if forward.

__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #102
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
I made the twin bed platforms wider and took the dining table to a cabinet maker that cut down the width and put new edge molding to replace the factory crap. These fixes cost me about $40 or $50 bucks. Done at the factory couldn't cost more than $5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006S (2).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	152607  
__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #103
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Collimare, our 2007 Airstream Safari 20' had the narrower dinette table and support strips screwed to the benches as you describe. The dinette table folded down to a flush surface. However the narrower table was too far away from the seat backs for comfort, so we used the supplied throw pillows behind our backs to sit closer. Something tells me you would complain about this as well.

We don't have the twin beds, but would you be happier if the mattresses were wider and the passage narrower? Or would the passage be too narrow for you?

Take some moments to enjoy the many pleasures this wonderful camper gives you. You are nit picking.

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #104
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Collimare, our 2007 Airstream Safari 20' had the narrower dinette table and support strips screwed to the benches as you describe. The dinette table folded down to a flush surface. However the narrower table was too far away from the seat backs for comfort, so we used the supplied throw pillows behind our backs to sit closer. Something tells me you would complain about this as well.

We don't have the twin beds, but would you be happier if the mattresses were wider and the passage narrower? Or would the passage be too narrow for you?

Take some moments to enjoy the many pleasures this wonderful camper gives you. You are nit picking.

doug k
My back does not rest on the cushions with the wider table and sitting full sideways to watch the flat screen can be a bit tight. We add pillows or remove the wall fillers as needed, no complaints as that is what they are there for.
Yes I can live with a narrow passage in favor of better sleep. If the mattresses are full forward the passage is just as narrow now. The mattresses float back and forth and could be 3 inches wider filing the full width of the mattress area and everything is the same except making the supports wider which they should be anyway.
Why is it nit picking (seems to be a common theme here) when my 1979 Airstream 25RB Twin and the last two 1/2 price new trailers were, higher quality, easier to use, more comfortable and reliable. Is this going to be a continued don't step on the toes because it is an Airstream? Really??
Now you can blast me all you want for not checking the dang thing out first but that is about it.
It was 60k and I feel I have a right to nit pick, complain and lament the poor quality and execution.
That is just the attitude that has allowed and will most likely maintain the current poor quality. The louder the complaints, the sooner sales drop off to nothing the sooner it will turn around. Sad, but appears to be true.
I personally feel this is the place to air the laundry, if not to help force quality changes then at least new buyers will be aware or should we just keep silent and take our lumps for the sake of the brotherhood.
Sorry the salt is still there and it seems like I am boxing the wind. Am I talking to AS managment?
__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #105
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,840
I suppose nit picking is in the eyes of the beholder. What bothers one person is fine with another. There are some things Collimare finds unacceptable that wouldn't bother me, but maybe some things I don't like wouldn't bother me. It could be said that he is overreacting, but when you buy a "premium" trailer and it isn't premium quality, the first reaction of many people would be the same and I think it is understandable.

On his long list there are many things that either come up year after year, or are worth complaining about.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #106
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
No not Airstream management, just trying to find the good in each day. I suppose advancing years, surviving cancer and such has done it to me.

Collimare, is the trailer really that miserable? I don't see how it can be, we have same year similar model and it is virtually perfect. Our 2007 was nearly as good. What is the point in "padding" your complaint list with a bunch of stuff that you did not suit your personal wishes. Or "dust in the corners" stuff. Or many things your dealer should have done before you got it, and not name the dealer as culprit, just blame Airstream.

They have sold a load of 2012 Airstreams this year and that is the focus of the thread, yet earlier owners keep coming back with their complaints. Or non-owners. Where's the several hundred who are satisfied.

Maybe you can complain enough, fluff it up a bit, to get something out of it. I don't see it that way. If there are problems, fix it and move on. Tell us your solution.

Maybe I'm just tired of the bitching.

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Maybe I'm just tired of the bitching.

doug k
I wish there was no reason to, but you are so right. My sincere apologies as this whole thing has gotten the best of me and I am moving on with it.
Best of wishes to all and happy trailering.
__________________
mtntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #108
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
My back does not rest on the cushions with the wider table and sitting full sideways to watch the flat screen can be a bit tight. We add pillows or remove the wall fillers as needed, no complaints as that is what they are there for.
Yes I can live with a narrow passage in favor of better sleep. If the mattresses are full forward the passage is just as narrow now. The mattresses float back and forth and could be 3 inches wider filing the full width of the mattress area and everything is the same except making the supports wider which they should be anyway.
Why is it nit picking (seems to be a common theme here) when my 1979 Airstream 25RB Twin and the last two 1/2 price new trailers were, higher quality, easier to use, more comfortable and reliable. Is this going to be a continued don't step on the toes because it is an Airstream? Really??
Now you can blast me all you want for not checking the dang thing out first but that is about it.
It was 60k and I feel I have a right to nit pick, complain and lament the poor quality and execution.
That is just the attitude that has allowed and will most likely maintain the current poor quality. The louder the complaints, the sooner sales drop off to nothing the sooner it will turn around. Sad, but appears to be true.
I personally feel this is the place to air the laundry, if not to help force quality changes then at least new buyers will be aware or should we just keep silent and take our lumps for the sake of the brotherhood.
Sorry the salt is still there and it seems like I am boxing the wind. Am I talking to AS managment?
We had the 2007 27' Classic and I felt the same way about the end dinette and the uncomfortable cushions and too wide a table to sit sideways. I sold it and opted for an older couch model and find it much more comfortable for me. I did think for the price the loose cushions and table to bed design was poorly engineered as is. We have had Airstreams since 2003 and we are on our 5th and 6th newer model units, the first four brand new the second two gently used. We have had various trim levels and floor plans and are currently enjoying our latest choices. Style and layout can considerably affect your personal comfort and satisfaction. It is very unique to the individual and Airstream makes many kinds for many different tastes. A modification would probably be done without too much trouble once you decide your priority and preference. I understand perfectly wanting your Airstream to be "the" one of your dreams and obsessing until you are comfortable with it. Been there done that, as well as more than a few others here have done also. Don't be put off by comments. It is your Airstream and your opinion to express. Not everyone feels the same. Take what you can use and shake off what is not useful to you in the way of comments. Hang in there. Don't go. See Pahaska's thread on widening the twin bed platforms and all his custom work. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...8-a-17610.html
__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #109
Rivet Master
 
danlehosky's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 780
another dinette rant.

I went tent camping with my sons on the Hoh river last weekend and even though I still don't like the front dinette arrangement after two nights in a tent I love the rest of it. I suppose I will get used to all of the little things i find annoying or change them. I'm done complaining, everything is a trade off. If all of the little quality fixes were initiated into the manufacturing process the trailers would be much more expensive. I'ts called "value engineering". I'm sorry some people become irritated by complaints. In my opinion the word forum is just that, say what you feel. These forums are digital soapboxes, so lets use them. My back still hurts.

Dan
__________________
TAC
Hope is not a plan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #110
Rivet Master
 
GettinAway's Avatar
 
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 835
I know this is about 2012s, but I will post this anyway..
We went to pick up a new 2011 23'FB Flying Cloud on Saturday.
I had called ahead several times to make sure all would be ready.
After 5 hr drive, we found it to be less then perfect.
The awning bracket on the right side where the wheel type fitting screws down to hold it in place against the trailer in the retracted position wouldn't screw in.
After looking at it closely, I realized they had a left bracket on the right side. The "cup" area that the little wheel screws down into, was on the underside of the bracket. There was no way it would hold..
Then when I filled the fresh water tank, we noticed water dripping from a cover plate below the tank. The technician found a leak (hole) in the hose running to or from the tank. I asked for the hose to be replaced, not repaired.
Then when we turned on the pump, it sounded like a machine gun going off.
They are replacing the hoses running to the tank with flexible lines?? I guess that will quiet it a bit? Hope so..
Also, none of the blinds seemed to want to stay in the plastic clips they are supposed to clip into at the bottom. Just one of the two screws were used on each clip.. Does this clip system really work? Or, should we raise the blinds up to the top when we are on the road? There's no way they will hold them against the windows.

Lots of other small stuff, I will take care of, but I was a little surprised these issues weren't seen in Jackson Center..
We hope to get it in a few weeks..

The surprise upside was we thought it had a cloth interior, it had the soft vinyl/leather like seats. They seemed pretty nice..
__________________
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #111
A.K.A "THE STREAM"
 
THEPILL's Avatar
 
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,285
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collimare View Post
Here is where the cushions will need to be cut back to (2 3/8” back on the door side and 3 3/8” on the far side) in order for the table to drop straight down. I can reposition the Velcro to keep both cushions in place for table up and table down. I don't like it one bit but have the cushions in the car to drop them off at the upholstery shop. Currently the table sits up on top of the seat supports and the cushions then lay on top of the table making it uneven on both sides. I will ultimately need to have all new cushions made to fit it properly. The seat backs need to be taller now as well as thinner so the bed surface is flat and even all the way across. The way it should have been done:

Table should be narrower.
Door side seat bottom should have a lip sticking out 1/2 – 5/8” just under the seat support.
Same on the far side.
Far side storage door and heater vent vertical should be cut down to fit under the lip.
Table should drop straight down just missing the cushions resting on the lips, trapped as well as flush.
New cushions that fit the new configuration so the bed is tight and flat.

I could see a whole new layout that would maximize the table width but it would be even more involved.

This would not really cost any extra to do it right from the start. Why??

On that table picture,..I couldn't sittheree for long....after awhile the cushion would compress and the wood would hurt the bottom of my legs. We enjoy playing scrabble there,,for hours at a time,...not for me.

Shane
__________________
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...h_postcard.jpg

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member
 
herrick51's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 85
Hello,
Did you catch any steelhead? The last time I was there at the take out by highway,I buried my one wheel drive chevy and raining heavy and water was above hubcaps before tow truck arrived. Since that time four wheel for me. Love the Hoh.
Pete
__________________

__________________
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BASH III July 4- 8 2012 Frank's Trailer Works Other Rallies & Events 432 12-05-2013 05:51 PM
Went to buy 2011 27FB, ended up with 2012! 18driver 2011 - 2015 International 71 06-21-2013 04:22 AM
2012 Airstream current available models and Floor Plans Colonial Airstream Commercial Listings 11 10-08-2011 09:24 AM
Centramatics for 2012 Flying Cloud 25FB wlanford Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 14 08-25-2011 10:06 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.