Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thank you. Continually complaining about the same problem gets old and makes one look childish. I am gone. jim

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Thank you. Continually complaining about the same problem gets old and makes one look childish. I am gone. jim
And yet...that's what this thread was started for...to get info on issues related to the 2012 models.

Complaining for the sake of complaining is one thing. However, I am glad to get any info regarding these issues. It's one of the main reasons I always join a forum that discusses any major purchase I make.

There are a few forums that won't let anyone 'bash' any of the products they claim to cover. They are useless in my opinion. Their only interest is in sponsorship.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The problem is, Rich, some people think nothing critical can be said of certain things like Airstreams and the WBCCI.

It is true some things get said more than once on different threads, but they may be useful for each thread.

Gene
Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The problem is, Rich, some people think nothing critical can be said of certain things like Airstreams and the WBCCI.

It is true some things get said more than once on different threads, but they may be useful for each thread.

Gene
That's true. And some people are way too sensitive about the same questions being asked more than once. I get tired (on other forums, not this one) of being constantly told to "just do a search". Searches don't always work that well. If a search term is mentioned at all it will generate long lists that have to be individually examined to find the info. If the threads have good titles, then that time can be shortened. So, I am always tolerant of being asked questions. In fact, I am glad to help when I can. So far my experience here is that most people are helpful here as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Some of these posts are especially useful. I have been particularly impressed with Robert Cross posting photos of his problem, followed by another photo of a good solution.

But what good is it to have Collimare come on blasting Airstream for all his woes. Most of his long complaint list was about his dealer who he did not name, or his own personal dislikes of some design feature. They are not custom built for him, but for a wider group. Our 2012 Airstream suits us perfectly.

There are two consistent and serious problems we hear, water intrusion damaging the floor, and corrosion damaging the metal shell. That hasn't changed in 80 years of Airstreams. At this point I think it's safe to say it's not changing anytime soon. Unless you want plastic Airstreams, because metal corrodes and wood rots. But it can be managed, and when it's not manageable, it's repairable and worth the effort.

For our part we are continually thrilled with our 2012 Airstream. Expensive but some of the best money we have spent. No doubt we could pick it to pieces comparing to something else somewhere. But what's the point of that.

Zig, am hoping you all reconsider leaving the forum. Collimare, am hoping you can work out the problems you have, and would love to hear the solutions.

doug k
Old 02-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
I think he is just leaving this thread, isn't he? An understandable choice.

One thing that I have noticed running through many of the posts (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong...it happened once before) is that it seems like Airstream leaves a lot of things to be done (or fixed) by the dealer instead of making sure they are done correctly at the factory.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Interesting point. That leaves me curious - does Airstream have a final quality check of the trailer before it rolls away from Jackson Center? Run water through all the plumbing, put the dinette table up and down, etc.

I have to admit - by the time we got to that part of the factory tour, we weren't paying attention - too busy popping in and out of trailers...

Tom
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Over the years people have two noticeable versions of their new Airstreams—lots of problems and no problems. Those are the ones that stand out, but there are lots in between.

I wish we had bought one that had no problems. I wish everyone got a new one without problems. I have bought trucks and SUV's with no problems or a few very minor ones. Then they have been driven for years without problems. But many people have problems with their new Airstreams.

Some problems never seem to stop. Leaks are one, corrosion another, but there are others too. Maybe the bed is a personal choice, but lots of people hate the beds. It seems to me a lot of those problems could be prevented, but it would cost the company more money. We bought from the same dealer that it appears Collimare did—he lives within a few miles of that dealer and got some of the same runaround we did. There is no doubt in my mind the dealer did bad prep, but you can't blame it all on the dealer.

Tom asks if they have final checks at the factory. I asked Airstream's president a couple of years ago if they had QC at the factory. He said yes. I think I said it seems like the QC people are not doing their job. Whether they do a final check out, I don't know. There is a lot of cheap stuff in our trailer and it doesn't last. The blame there goes to the cost cutting exec. There are plenty of examples of poor workmanship. Maybe some workers are good and they made Doug's trailer. Other guys made ours. There are design issues that never seem to get solved—but the service center techs know what they are because they fix them over and over (they will admit it if you ask them). I asked the president if the factory talks to the service center and dealers about recurring problems. He said yes, there's a "committee" to discuss that. I wonder if that committee actually ever meets because the same things continue year after year. The factory seems to avoid change. Maybe there are bosses who have been there forever and think they have all the answers. Maybe it is a budget that is cut too much and doesn't permit change.

Like Rich, I don't mind answering the same questions over and over. I was in the same spot 4 1/2 years ago and Forum members were kind enough to patiently answer the same questions that had been asked before and are still being asked. Sometimes I suggest that new people use the search function because sometimes you can find an answer there and you might as well learn how to use it. It ain't great now, but it was worse years ago.

When someone buys a trailer for a bunch of money and it is prepped badly and there are problems traceable to the manufacturer, they have a right to complain. They may even complain about petty things as well as serious ones. Some of us feel ripped off and I think that is justifiable. If the dealer is solely at fault, the company is responsible for that dealer—they picked them, they should have trained them, and in the case of the dealer in question, Airstream has been getting complaints for many years about them and they do not take action on it. This loses sales for Airstream in the long run, but nothing seems to change. From what I gather from this Forum, the dealer network is weak—some really bad ones, a lot of mediocre ones, and some good ones. There seems to be constant change in the dealer network and suddenly whole states have none. Ironically, a couple of years ago there were none in Ohio where the trailers are made.

Rant now comes to conclusion.

Gene
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Over the years, I've factory ordered every car truck and RV that I've ever purchased new. I figure that I got exactly what I wanted without compromise. Not always the best deals, but no problems. That is until I purchased an AS. The selling dealer went BK and the servicing dealer closest to me dropped the AS line. To put it bluntly, a premium price should assure one of a premium product. I cannot for the life of me figure out why AS has dropped the ball on what one could consider an iconic legacy brand. I was killing time waiting for my wife and looked at 2012 Airstreams. Deep discounts, yet considerably more than SOB trailers. Yet, I saw some of the same little problems on the new ones that I had to fix on my '06 Safari 25'. If I ever buy another AS product, it would be a Sprinter.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #94
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down People care, the Company...not so much.

If I was to ever purchase a new Airstream...it would be used.

It seems nothing's really changed since we purchased our Classic new in 2004.

The same problem applies now as then....Jackson Center is still just 20 acres of denial. Substantial attitude adjustment is, I'm afraid, a pipe dream.
WWWD?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If I was to ever purchase a new Airstream...it would be used.

It seems nothing's really changed since we purchased our Classic new in 2004.

The same problem applies now as then....Jackson Center is still just 20 acres of denial. Substantial attitude adjustment is, I'm afraid, a pipe dream.
WWWD?

Bob
I finally sent in my new Airstream opinion survey form the company sent me to fill out. After reading these posts I was inspired to fill it out with lots of suggestions. I gave it a 7 out of 10 overall satisfaction rating, which I think is fair, all things considered. I still like it and plan to use and treat it like a 10, however.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Before I moved to California, I owned, raced and cruised sailboats. Many of the same issues discussed on this thread exist in the world of boats. Go aboard a million plus dollar Alden and you'll see the same water heater,stoves, fridge, A/C and pumps, etc as you see on a much less expensive boat...and the owners have all the same problems. The difference between a high dollar boat and cheaper boats is the fit and finish. if you look in a locker, the inside is smooth and clean, take up a bilge board and the hull is smooth and well finished. The 'Streams we have looked at at our area dealers seem inconsistant and the things the factory should and could do well are ignored. I don't expect AS to build tank monitors or stoves but they should put in the effort to make sure people are getting a quality build. One thing they could do before the final inspection is use higher quality materials for cushions, the fabric sucks and why in heaven would they use a light color fabric for the seating areas and dark for the backs? That is one area the high end boat builders don't screw up on. I bought a semi custom race boat, it was about 4 years old when I bought it from the original owner, he made plenty of mods on the boat and I did more over the next few years. One cheap mod we did is to run all of the wiring inside pcv piping and isolated it from any seawater or moisture, upgraded the electrical panel and put the batteries in water tight cases. The entire project cost a few hundred dollars and a couple of weekends. It would have taken the factory a few hours. Its strange to go to a dealer and look at an AS. then take a peek in a 14k trailer and see many of the same mechanicals...same idiocy as the boat builders!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #97
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

SCD,

Very appropriate post.

Three years ago DW & I decided to get "wet" again.
After moving to the shore 16 yrs ago, we thought it was about time.

Now it's no megaboat but it was a substantial investment for 21' of slightly used high-end composite. Small manufacturer, built one at a time by people who take pride in their work.

I couldn't believe how much the build quality has improved over our last boat of comparable size & cost. It was a real eye-opener.
Same basic materials, (although much improved,) but a drastic difference in construction technique and finish. Something AS should take note of.

People are willing to pay the price if they know they are getting a quality product, at least I am.

ROSC,

"I still like it and plan to use and treat it like a 10, however."

That's absolute best way to do it....ENJOY!!

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Drive View Post
One cheap mod we did is to run all of the wiring inside pcv piping and isolated it from any seawater or moisture.
That reminds me of a cheap modification we made. I bought some vinyl tubing, split it the long way and put it around the propane lines. This protects them from damage from the road since they are mounted underneath the trailer.

If the factory bought giant rolls of this stuff it would be very cheap and installing it before the lines were attached would be very simple. They wouldn't have to split it.

Gene