Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #57
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
The dealer I purchased my Airstream from repaired my tank monitor twice and it still doesn't work. I took a look underneath the body a week or so ago and noticed this (see attached images).

I called a different dealership (one with a longer history and better ratings for Airstream) and described that the encasing was cut to access the tank sensors (this he said was normal practice) and explained that it was then duct taped back in place. He said that is not appropriate to duct tape it back on. I neglected to ask what the proper method of reattached the cut peice back in place was. I will be taking it to the better rated dealership this summer with a few other issues on the list.

My biggest concern is the tape wearing away and the panel becoming detached while driving and harming another driver.

Hope this is useful for someone.

-Brandon
Brandon,

It looks like they just cut three sides right below the sensors, bent it down and then just taped it back up. A larger patch should have been cut then caulked and secured with stainless self tapping screws.

Have them do it right or DIY it on your own.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Sorry, I should have paid attention to the date of the original post. You certainly have had your shakedown trip by now. Blackwater sensor issues. For months my blackwater sensor always registered full even when the tank was obviously empty. "Stuff" can get hung up on the sensor in the tank and give a false reading. A trick I learned last month while camping in Quartzsite is to pour a bag of ice into the tank thru the toilet and fill it up with water. Then drive around for a while sloshing the ice around in the tank; let the ice melt and drain. It worked for me and the sensor is working again.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
Sorry, I should have paid attention to the date of the original post. You certainly have had your shakedown trip by now. Blackwater sensor issues. For months my blackwater sensor always registered full even when the tank was obviously empty. "Stuff" can get hung up on the sensor in the tank and give a false reading. A trick I learned last month while camping in Quartzsite is to pour a bag of ice into the tank thru the toilet and fill it up with water. Then drive around for a while sloshing the ice around in the tank; let the ice melt and drain. It worked for me and the sensor is working again.
Ha,

Funny, I think I misunderstood your post the first time I read it. I thought you were from Washington and telling me that you were considering your trial run near those places. Sorry about that.

I have heard about that Ice trick before, that is a great idea but I don't think we have a need for it yet. We have a bathroom in the house at my Sister & Brother-in-law's place so we only #1 in the Airstream bathroom. We put any TP used in the waste basket.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Issues, 2012 25FB Flying Cloud with Twin Beds.

This is our 4th trailer (1979 Airstream, 1998 Trail Light, 2002 Trail Bay) and boy was I naive if not downright stupid with the purchase of our new Airstream. I never expected to have the issues listed below and should have done a very thorough inspection and complete live in trial run with the trailer prior to purchase. I would have never bought it if I had and we are seriously considering selling it. The 1979 was the exact same trailer as our new 2012 but was twice the trailer in every aspect, well built, easy to use, comfortable and quiet in operation. When kids started arriving we went with a 26’ Trial Bay with rear bunks, after the third we upgraded to a 32’ Trail Bay with rear bunks and slide. When the two oldest went off to college we decided to get out of trailering about 4 years ago, but we longed to get back into it so we splurged on a new beautiful Airstream.

I am sure the disappointment and frustration will wear off as I get things repaired, replaced and re-designed but it sure took the joy out of and left us with a lot of regret on our new expensive purchase.

The order below is just random and does not reflect the priority or severity:

1)Bathroom sink does not drain fully and leaves standing water. Drain flange sticks way up.
2)The twin mattresses are as hard as a rock. On the way home from the dealer I slept in the rear on the pullout couch. I bought and cut up a new a king size foam topper to make put on the twin beds but it is still uncomfortable. They could also be 3 inches wider. Going to have new ones made at Verlo Mattress Factory and put wider decking in before our next outing. The R-Vision bunk bed foam mattress were way more comfortable.
3)No insulation or even caulking around the twin beds/storage compartments. Our son throws the covers off in the dining area and we are freezing in the twins. I will put insulation in, seal all the cracks and put proper sealing doors in for the electrical access and hot water bypass hole.
4)Linoleum is extremely soft already marring/deforming at the dinette table leg and scratched.
5)Front dinette is very difficult to make into bed. Table top is 35” wide and the cushion opening is 28”. You have to remove all the side cushions “ripping” up the bottom ones (the cloth is starting to tear at the Velcro) to stand them vertical or set them aside to get the table down. I am working on plans to redesign it to drop down cleanly as it should, but will it take a good bit of work to do so. This is just a stupid design!
6)Hinges on front counter extension difficult to use, flimsy and told not covered by warranty.
7)Bath room mirror difficult to use, flimsy and told not covered by warranty.
8)Hot water heater controls right next to the bath light switch. The light switch is covered by the hanging towel and it’s easy to turn the heater on/off instead.
9)No bed linens included. Both of our R-Visions trailers came with linens and the last one had two sets for the queen.
10)No winterizing kit included. Both of our R-Visions came with winterizing kits.
11)There is a hole just big enough for your hand to fit through under the center of the curb side twin mattress and then you just feel around for the hot water tank bypass.
12)The water pump is separate under the fridge. Both R-Vision trailers had very convenient access doors for the hot water heater, pump and room to place the antifreeze jug all in one quick easy to use spot.
13)Tank monitors do not work from day one. Does the factory not test them at all? Do I just except the dealer cutting panels in the brand new tank covers? Does the factory just let it go out knowing they do not work and let the dealer cut the quick repair panels in (duct tape/screws)? I am going to insist they drop the covers to fix it. Perhaps I should just take it back to the factory and have them sort everything out. I am pissed about this one!
14)Furnace is loud. R-Visions were quieter.
15)AC is loud. R-Visions were quieter.
16)Water pump is very loud.
17)No remote IR for the DVD player, have to leave door open. Can’t switch between the front TV and the back one. Three different remotes. Radio always starts up in demo mode if power is cut.
18)No extra plug in at the front TV for game console. Installed a new double outlet myself.
19)Living area TV pops loose every time the trailer is moved.
20)Front rock guards already developed surface rust and buffer marks put on by Airstream dealer getting it off. Dealer told me that I needed to have clear bras put on them for $600.
21)Front Plexiglas window covers scratched by Airstream dealer (not sure how). The claim they did nothing to them.
22)Nearly pulled the under dinette wall socket out from the wall. Must hold the socket down to remove the plug. It feels like it is just held in by the skin.
23)Half the cabinet doors are missing the little cheesy stick on bumpers. No rhyme or reason.
24)Each time we travel I find loose screws, bumpers and rivets laying around when we get there. Not kidding!
25)Screen door latch plate fell off. The screws are too short and not installed properly. At least it was all laying inside and not lost.
26)The bottom third of main door does not seal well at all.
27)The front tongue area is spray painted grey over the wiring, grommets, tie wraps etc.. It already looks like crap where stuff has moved showing the black underneath and paint is flaking off where it should not be.
28)The dealer had the all windows open, vents going, and the furnace on when I got there that morning to pick it up and it was full of stink and light smoke. When I complained they said they normally try to have it open for a couple of days, but did not have time on mine. It was nearly un-breathable the first few days at home.
29)You don’t realize just how little storage space there is until you try to outfit it as we have our last two trailers. We are still working on this. Luckily the back of our excursion will hold a lot of stuff.
30)It takes two to open the larger windows. One person has to gently pull on the outside while the other pushes from inside; otherwise you’ll damage the window opening levers. The dealer cautioned me about this (another no warranty issue) and said you need to keep olive oil on the seals each time you use them.

It is pretty to look and does pull better but it is not work the 20-30k difference!!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #61
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Collimare,

Quite a first post....

I realize it's no comfort now, but a lot of folks have been there.

Our list was comparably long, although with some differing concerns.

The passage of time demeans anger...

Advise...call and write to the customer service people at the Factory.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Wow, Collimare, that is quite a list alright. Makes me feel better about my purchase. Of course a Sport 16, while still pricey compared to comparable models in other brands, is much less an investment than you have. I just called to schedule warranty service for my refrigerator, which works off and on when it feels like it...and the tank monitor, which does not even recognize the gray/black tank. Monitor issues seem common. Makes you wonder why they use that particular model (because it's cheap?).

I agree about that socket under the table. It does feel like it is just surface mounted to the aluminum skin. Not quality work at all. Also, in my shower/toilet area, they used cheap velcro dots to hold the shower curtain in place. The don't separate properly and soon do nothing to hold the curtain in place.

I also found a loose rivet in the bath ceiling that falls out if you touch it.

But other than those few complaints, everything else has worked well. My bed is actually pretty comfortable after I bought custom fit sheets and a custom mattress cover for it.

I agree the heater and a/c are noisy...especially in a 16 footer. But they do seem to work well.

Sadly, the quality of American craftsmanship is not always what it should be. Too many cost-cutting corners. Nevertheless, I still love my AS over anything else I have seen out there, that I could possibly afford to buy.

I hope you find a good warranty service. Don't limit yourself to only AS dealers. The one I am going to is not a dealer, but they have done AS warranty work for decades. Others have praised their work. I will find out for myself in a few weeks.

Good luck with yours.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Collimare, I assume you bought it locally. We bought there although we live on the western slope. We had many issues for a long time and the dealer often told us the same things—"not covered". Airstream has been cost cutting for a long time and you see some of the results. Sorry to hear of your problems, but if it makes you feel better, you are not alone.

I wrote the president of Thor Industries and that got some of the problems fixed on warranty. But we were very unhappy with that dealer and after they damaged the trailer, we never went back. We brought it to the factory for warranty work and we were treated much better. Things got fixed right for the most part in JC.

It has seemed that QC at the factory has been improving since we bought ours, but maybe not from your experience. But, the dealer is supposed to do a final check and I believe Airstream pays them to do this to make sure things work. I do not think they did much of a check on ours or yours.

Storage is never as good in Airstreams as in MH's and 5th wheels. The beds suck; a medium firm foam topper made the bed good. Everyone seems to find screws, shavings and trash hidden away. Cleaning standards at the factory are poor. You are being lied to about the rock guards. The window covers in the front should only be cleaned with a plastic cleaner or they can be scratched easily. Water pump placement is a very long term problem. Rubber washers under it help a bit; we ignore it. Don't you have a storage door next to the water heater? That's where access to the bypass is on ours.

There is a dealer in Colorado Springs. I don't know about them except that a women who was from there told me she had no problems there. We looked at Airstreams there, but after the salesman stopped lying to us about how much trailer the truck we had at the time could tow, he went to answer the phone and never came back; neither did we. That's how we ended up in Denver.

Gene
Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Most of your list is poor (or no) dealership predelivery responsibilities. Much of the rest is your own responsibility before you buy (mattress firmness, loudness of A/C, water pump, furnace, and such).

Your trailer is a better product than that, ours came virtually perfect and remains so after living in it almost 5 months. Our 2007 Airstream was nearly as good.

Sort out the details with your dealer, replace the noisy parts and mattresses with R-Vision parts, and see if it isn't better for you.

doug k
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #65
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Collimare's email is very discouraging. Since I have a 2012, I've experienced a couple of the same issues (like the Velcro in the dinette being too aggressive on the Ultra Leather -- dealer fixed this before I took delivery). Haven't experienced the more heinous events he's dealt with. My water pump is readily accessible by simply detaching a panel below my fridge...and the interior access for the hot water heater is, indeed, through a hole cut into the plywood. I didn't see this as much of a "problem" though. Hadn't thought of olive oil on the window seals. As many new owners discovered, the windows are tightly sealed on delivery -- but a quick slide with a credit card fixed that, and once I'd done the silicone spray they open very easily. From other posts on this thread, I am now glad I ordered my trailer -- because when it arrived at the dealer it hadn't been exposed to the great masses at some show, or in the dealer's parking lot. It sat there for two days before I took it home and subjected it to my own very personal (and critical) eye. I found virtually NO punch list items. I agree on the mattress -- pretty chintzy (like lots of other folks, I put a Tempur Pedic topper on it. AND, I also think that painting pewter on my Barker High Power 3000 tongue jack (which is black underneath)....with black cable ties that immediately disgorged their pewter paint was silly. Would I have preferred a more professional install? Yes. Does it detract from the overall quality of the build or reduce my enjoyment? Not really. I hope that once Collimare runs through his punch list he and his family will enjoy their Airstream.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #66

2012 30' Classic
Greeley , Colorado
I took delivery of a 2012 Classic Limited 30' about two weeks ago. Found a few items on our walk through. I'm sure will add to my list as the using starts with better weather. Agree the heater is loud and not balanced well as the front is warm and the bedroom is much cooler. Going from backpacking tent to AS it feels like heaven. My disapointment is with the Dealer not informing of the options available at order time. I will be adding the solar package and inverter for sure. It still far more comfort than a two man tent.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #67
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

......or even a one man one women tent.

mntman...sorry couldn't resist.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'Manx, we had a solar panel installed by the dealer closest to you. We knew nothing about these things at the time. The panel died after 3 years, the company was out of business and the warranty was useless.

Lewster was here and said the panel was way out of date when it was made. So we were sold junk.

Search for the solar threads and you will learn a lot. There is one by eheffa giving step by step instructions how to do it. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...est-87469.html is a recent solar panel thread. There are many others too.

Gene
Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Airstreams aren't made by magic fairies from pixie dust... the shell is a unique use of aluminum (in the RV world) but the rest of it is all off-the-shelf parts or some jigged-up plywood under some fancy covering.

Honestly, the future of Airstream might be foreign assembly, where more money can be put into design and materials.

I'm on Airstream #2... my first (a Basecamp) had a similar laundry list of obvious factory screw ups... and it didn't even have a bathroom or shower. My 'new' 2006 I just bought had the linoleum split like the Grand Canyon after a cold snap.

It sucks, but part of owning any RV is dealing with the issues that come from a mobile 'home' being built from stuff that is designed for a stable, stationary house. If a person doesn't have the time or skill to tinker, owning an RV can be very frustrating. Or, sometimes you get years of trouble-free enjoyment...

I'd never buy a new Airstream unless I lived next door to a fantastic dealer... I had to tow my Basecamp 2500 miles to get it repaired, and they screwed it up even more.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #70
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

"I'd never buy a new Airstream unless I lived next door to a fantastic dealer... I had to tow my Basecamp 2500 miles to get it repaired, and they screwed it up even more."...FRI.

Sorry, still have to parrot the same sentiment...my lesson learned, buy used and avoid the frustration.

It did appear for awhile after the "town hall" thread was shut down that things were improving on the QC front. Maybe yes on some items but judging by some of the recent posts I feel the folks at JC are still playing a cynical game of "whack-a-mole" with their customers. Just whack after rather than address before.
Admittedly some have gone to the "MS" Service Center and been treated very well with excellent results, we also felt that way when work was done on our 63. But wouldn't we all be happier if we could be "paloozafied" every year on our own terms, rather than have to make a QC trip on theirs.

Maybe an apprentice plan for employees instead of putting all "new" on the line with no one to say.."stop, lets do it right." Do any on the Service side rotate back to apply their expertise where it's really needed?

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!

Bob

RLC

RLC