Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our update. Been living in the trailer 3 1/2 months, southern AZ. It's a Flying Cloud 25B front dinette, golden ultra leather, factory solar, full awnings, conv microwave.

Two problems. An incompletely crimped pex fitting that leaked, finished the crimp and okay. The fridge light switch stuck on, overheated the light housing and scorched the surrounding surface. Dometic gave us a new fridge, replaced under warranty. She would like a larger closet perhaps, but the huge under bed storage makes up for it.

Our impression is a beautifully designed and nicely assembled trailer. Many complements about front dinette design, especially interior. It is the mica interior with golden ultra leather and light counter tops. Lives like a larger trailer than a 25' because of excellent allocation of space, and convenient layout. Not too big, not too small.

Excellent road manners in a variety of road and wind conditions. We tow it with a Tundra 4.7 and Equalizer hitch without stability, power, or braking problems. Yes, you know its back there on steep climbs and heavy crosswind, but easy to adjust driving to accommodate.

Good trailer, everything works as it should, wouldn't change a thing.

doug k

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I'm glad I came across this thread! My wife and I just ordered our 2012 30' Flying Cloud, and I am making a list of things to cross-check before we pull out of the dealership parking lot.

We are also having solar installed before delivery.

Any other recommendations on items to double check are appreciated!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #45
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up tip's....

Hibby,

Video the dealer orientation, be picky, ask questions, take notes on anything you think may be a concern.

Camp overnight on the dealer lot and try everything..

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
I have ordered a 2012 Interstate (expect delivery sometime in Mar. ), &wonder if someone might have delivery inspection "punch list" which I could review for augmentation of my own thoughts.
It seems that the Dealer "walk through ", based on previous new Airstreams I have bought, is extremely brusque and regrettably doesn't really allow time for diligent inspection. I am pretty familiar with AS trailers by now, but have no experience with the Interstate with it's more complex systems, and feel that having a punch list in hand might put me more in-charge of the process.
All thoughts, ideas," punch list" would be appreciated. I'd like to do it right this time, might save me some aggravation on my return trip home .

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by denellen View Post
I have ordered a 2012 Interstate (expect delivery sometime in Mar. ), &wonder if someone might have delivery inspection "punch list" which I could review for augmentation of my own thoughts.
It seems that the Dealer "walk through ", based on previous new Airstreams I have bought, is extremely brusque and regrettably doesn't really allow time for diligent inspection. I am pretty familiar with AS trailers by now, but have no experience with the Interstate with it's more complex systems, and feel that having a punch list in hand might put me more in-charge of the process.
All thoughts, ideas," punch list" would be appreciated. I'd like to do it right this time, might save me some aggravation on my return trip home .
When I went to pick up my Stream I insisted on a quick walk thru before I would sign the papers. Then after it was set up I did the guided tour. Also, I had previously walked thru the same model at a different dealer, as well as having looked at all the online photos I could find. It helped a lot. You can miss much on the first go round.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A couple thoughts on delivery.

Get some info on the trailer and study the operation of its systems ahead of time. During the dealer walk-through you can concentrate on proper installation and operation, and any damage. The dealer cleanup crew can be rough on these trailers, especially scratching the exterior finish during washing.

If the trailer has been in their inventory for some time, look for damage by customers. Look for corrosion if the dealership is near the coast, or been towed to RV shows on salted winter roads. The fresher the trailer in inventory, the better.

While you bargain for the Airstream get the trailer options you may want, you can work them into the deal at a discount. That won't happen if you come back to have them installed later. New Airstreams are loaded, but full awnings, solar package, and inverter are great additions.

doug k
Old 02-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
A couple thoughts on delivery.

The dealer cleanup crew can be rough on these trailers, especially scratching the exterior finish during washing.

If the trailer has been in their inventory for some time, look for damage by customers. Look for corrosion if the dealership is near the coast, or been towed to RV shows on salted winter roads. The fresher the trailer in inventory, the better.
Very true. The first brand new 2012 Sport 16 I looked at had corrosion in one of the marker lights, and some scratches inside. When I pointed out a ding under the table the salesman said "oh don't look for dings on these!" implying I was being much too picky and dings were common. They had brought it in from another lot almost 100 miles away.

The 2d one I inspected, when I went to pick it up at the other dealer, was pristine. No dings, no corrosion, everything nicely cleaned and fresh looking. The salesman there claimed it had only been on the lot a few days before I bought it. I have had it home for about 3 weeks now and still can't find a single ding.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
I hook mine into the head unit. I've plugged it into the external USB port until I figured out that the head unit opens up and has a mp3 player slot inside it. It has a USB cable inside it that you can use a ipod cable to connect too. Then I looked in the plastic bin that came from AS under my lounge and inside the black box that is meant to hold the head unit face I found a connector that went from iPod to USB so I didn't need the long cable I was trying to shove in there.

Once it's hooked up you just flip through your sources until you get to USB and you have a choice between internal and external.

My iPod is running constantly when I'm camping.

What's cooler, if you hold the Bluetooth button a few seconds it will go into discoverable mode from which you can then search for it with your phone or laptop via it's Bluetooth connection and then stream music wirelessly directly to your Sony Head Unit. Try it, you'll love it!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
My wife ripped the mirror off off ove the cabinet, not knowing about the keeper in the latch. we have had problems with the CCC the heat pump and no Blu-ray to the bedroom TV.
Not sure if your Blu-ray is functioning correctly in your bedroom but, I removed my Blu-ray player (gave it to my dad) and custom installed my Playstation 3. While doing so I realized there is a switch box for the HDMI which takes the output of the Blu-ray and splits it between the two T.V.'s. This requires additional power to so it can be caused mainly by the bedroom HDMI plug coming loose behind or below the box housing your Blu-ray player or if it looses power.

Attached you will see my little project (but not the HDMI splitter), it's not perfect but it works well. I have since trimmed the box with some white vinyl tape. The fans are USB powered (removed from a laptop cooling pad) and plugged into the PS3. Nice eh?

-Brandon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3293.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	152019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3294.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	152020  

Name:	IMAG3295.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	152021  
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
This is all great feedback, I have noticed the temperature does not stay regulated very well so I am wondering if water has been leaking in over a long period of time and saturating the insulation after all!?

Also, Airstream has had issues with the 2012's tank monitors and sensors. They overnight-ed our dealership a new monitor and sensors for ours and after installing and recalibrating it seems to be working. Not sure how they adjusted our awning but it is indeed lining up now; I think they shifted the awning to offset both rather than just one so they barely seat right.

I will inspect for cracks and leaks as soon as it stops raining and storming!
The dealer I purchased my Airstream from repaired my tank monitor twice and it still doesn't work. I took a look underneath the body a week or so ago and noticed this (see attached images).

I called a different dealership (one with a longer history and better ratings for Airstream) and described that the encasing was cut to access the tank sensors (this he said was normal practice) and explained that it was then duct taped back in place. He said that is not appropriate to duct tape it back on. I neglected to ask what the proper method of reattached the cut peice back in place was. I will be taking it to the better rated dealership this summer with a few other issues on the list.

My biggest concern is the tape wearing away and the panel becoming detached while driving and harming another driver.

Hope this is useful for someone.

-Brandon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	152022   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0034.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	152023  

Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
For those of you who have new trailers and are spending a lot of time in them please see my posts from the following thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...d-85586-4.html

See posts #'s: 48, 56, 59, 61, and 67.

-Brandon
Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
For those of you having issues with the condensation in your 2012 AS including the yellow substance leaking from the front and rear windows, be aware that if there is no leak and temperatures are much cooler outside it is likely the moisture from your body(s) are causing enough condensation on the inside of the outer panel. This then drains down mixing with the water soluble glue used to hold the insulation in place thus creating the yellow substance. Highly recommended is a dehumidifier for any type of winter-like camping. See the following thread for lots of information and the New Air dehumidifier I purchased (with picture) and have been extremely happy with!!!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...old-85586.html

-Brandon
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Airstream Trial Run

I think the suggestion of a nearby test trial is a good idea, especially this time of the year. There is a great Rv park just down the road in Coberg and Airstream support is nearby at Sutton Rv in Eugene. Also AM Solar is located in Springfield, a must visit.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50KIP View Post
I think the suggestion of a nearby test trial is a good idea, especially this time of the year. There is a great Rv park just down the road in Coberg and Airstream support is nearby at Sutton Rv in Eugene. Also AM Solar is located in Springfield, a must visit.
It looks as though you are from Washington. You also have Airstream Adventures Northwest available to you in Portland, and their second location recently opened in Seattle.