Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but when we picked up our new Airstream a month ago the dealer said that the red light between the two hot water switches would illuminate if there was a problem with the hot water heater when running on propane. You may have no problem at all. I have seen it illuminate briefly when there is no a/c and the propane is in the process of lighting. As soon as there is ignition it goes out.

Congratulations on the new stream! Pictures???

Bruce
This must be true because I have run the heater on propane and elec and the light has never come on. This seemed odd to me though as I would have thought the light would indicate when the unit was heating. I'll look in the manual.
Dan

Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
This must be true because I have run the heater on propane and elec and the light has never come on. This seemed odd to me though as I would have thought the light would indicate when the unit was heating. I'll look in the manual.
Dan
On second thought I think tha† light is an indicator for the potable water pump.

Dan

Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #171
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
On ours when the propane lights the red indicator goes out.
If it should blow out and doesn't re-light it will come back on...red indicates, you should check for leaks and why it went out.

Bob
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #172
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
On the newer ones, the light flashes when either source is selected (unless the water is already hot enough from previous use, or there's a problem); it does not stay on through the entire propane start cycle like the old ones. This little change hasn't found its way into the owners' manual yet (typical of the RV industry). If the light never even flashes, but everything works OK, try swapping the two connections on the back side of the light...since it's an LED, polarity matters, and some of them get connected backwards on the production line.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #173
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
"This little change hasn't found its way into the owners' manual yet (typical of the RV industry)."

Why are we still the last to know?...crank-up the old mimeograph machine and add a page.

Bob
Old 04-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Right...it's as if the boss at the Atwood plant said: "Guys, let's go ahead and use up these old manuals first..."
Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #175
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I just went out and checked it because it's parked next to the house at the moment. I flipped on the propane switch for the water tank and no light came on even though the propane fired up. I also tried the electrical switch for the water heater and, alas, no light comes on.

Admittedly, I seem to have found only one flaw at the moment of the entire trailer. I'm pretty impressed...

I still think we should put together a group of private investors and by Airstream from Thor industries. We could make a better product and take over the world!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #176
CRT

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Help - my husband raised the bed to access the storage under the bed. Now we cannot lower the bed - makes sleeping difficult. Help!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
It's probably just difficult to push down. At first, I thought I was going to break the bed, but after moderate pressure the gas lifts released and it lowered easily. Try placing your hands on the mattress directly above the point where each lift attaches to the wood sheeting that the mattress sits on. Gently apply pressure and gradually increase to see if they just need to pop loose and allow you to lower the mattress!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hibby is correct, although you could try to get in the bed and ride it down.

Gene
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #179
CRT

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
Hibby and Gene, thank you very much!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Thinking through this carefully, I think Gene has the right approach...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #181
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You may need to tie yourselves to the bed before you ride it down or you may roll into the wall. This also may be an opportunity for other things best discussed on the "Sex in an Airstream" thread.

Gene
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
You can push down hard on the bed. Body weight should do it. However don't try this approach on the mirror in the bathroom. It has a keeper on the left side hinge as my wife found out when she pushed hard and it blew out and fell on the floor. Amazingly it didn't break the glass and the dealer fixed it. He also fixed the screen on my emergency exit window and didn't engage the locks and we were on I-5 doing about 60 when I looked back and saw the window flapping in the wind. Luckily we found a pull over stop and locked it. When I told the service mgr about it he chuckled and said it happened all the time, which made me lose what little patience I had at that moment and I unloaded on him. The last time I called for service he was no longer there.

Dan