Old 04-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Question 1974 Overlander - What is reasonable?

Hi All,

We're fairly new here, and I've had some good feedback on the thread I set up on trying to get some of the history of the AS we are looking at. Now come the tough questions:

1. The current owner is asking $5000 (Canadian) for this. We haven't seen the inside yet. What would be a reasonable offer? I feel that he's asking a bit much given the unexplained sheet metal at the rear and some of the holes in the skin.

2. How much are replacement axels? We tried some of the tests recommended to us, but given that the rear bumper on the only side we could jack on (parked in a tight space) was jammed on top of some railway ties I don't know if we were getting an accurate reading on travel.

3. Does the rear end look fixable? How much work would it take to fix it?

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
From the pics I see:
  • tires
  • probably axles - (at least new brakes) axles typically start at $400 each for dexters and go up from there depending if you opt for disk brakes or Henschen axles. I believe Axis is available from a vendor.
  • real good cleaning
  • roof vents
  • r/r the caulking
  • blue molding
  • LP tanks - probably hoses and regulator depending on condition
  • paint of steel parts
  • shocks could be worn out ~$32 each
  • misc dents/aluminum belly pan etc.....
  • figure on new door/window seals
  • a few marker lights
To me the price is high.
Just an opinion.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It's hard to say without inspecting the inside of the trailer. From the rear end separation that can be seen in the one picture, I would guess that there is going to be an issue with the rear floor and perhaps the frame as well. The plastic covering the top also suggests leaks and more floor damage as well. It's hard to put a price on this trailer without more information.

BTW $5,000 (CAN) = $4,063.72 (USA)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
Have you had a chance to have them hook everything up for you? Make sure the pump works, that the plumbing is in good shape. Check all the external and internal lights. Try to look around the unit for missing rivets. Hopefully you can get a sneak peak at the floor. I would suggest opening a cabinet and pressing down on the floor to see if is rotten. Price really depends on how much extra you need to put into it. Make no mistake if you buy an older unit half the hobby is keeping it going.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I would assume that there is significant floor damage due to the open and poorly covered vents. The loose sheets under the rear could indicate significant problems. If that is where the black tank lives it could be damaged, or may have been replaced. The mis-matched tires obviously are in need of replacement, but when I see something like that it makes me wonder how well this thing has been taken care of over-all. Without seeing the inside I would say too much money. If the inside is in need of a lot of work I would say $2500.00 to $3500.00
If the pics are showing that the rear end has seperated(can't tell from what I saw) Then figure in the cost of a down-to the-frame renovation. That would bring my offer to $1000.00 max.

As always, just an opinion

Rich
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
looks like a lot of work for the $

Having just purchased a '74 Overlander myself, I can say that the price doesn't equal what you're getting. We purchased ours for $6500US. We got a heck of a camper, but even so we found enough problems with it that it prevented us from going camping this weekend in Washington DC. We haven't put a lot of money in it at this time, but there's been a lot of labor time. I know ours is going to need new axles and based on your pictures, the one you're looking at does, too. We don't have rear separation, everything worked at least 80%, it was road worthy, had new tires, new brakes, new tanks, full weight dist. hitch setup. There were some leaks that I have since sealed, but nothing that got far enough to rot the sub-floor. Ours needs all new window & door gaskets which I have in my possession, but they seal good enough to camp so it's a progressive replacement process.

OK, enough dissertation...after having gone through the rigors of searching and valuating, I'd guess you're looking at a complete gut-out & rebuild. No more than $1000 US unless there's a pile of gold sitting on the floor when you open the door. Honestly, if it were me, I'd already be looking at something else. If it needs work just to get it to safely go down the road, then you're looking at a lot of work.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
no way. I'd give them 1000.00. I am just finishing up one that was not quite that rough, and it has been a lot of work. Just my opinion, but the seller is dreaming. If the outside looks like this, the inside couldn't be much better.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks to everyone who responded - We walked away

We got a chance to look at the inside and speak with the PO. Turns out this rig had changed hands several times since the original owners had her - through a sucession of bachelors and young party guys

The PO didn't have a battery in it, so there was no way to test the electrics. The regulator was broken, so no way to test the LP system. He had apparently never used the pump - had shoreside water whenever it was used - so no way to test the plumbing.

The rig was parked at an angle, so the latchless wardrobe doors were taped shut. When looking under the sink, I could see little bits of daylight - not a good sign. The windows were missing handles, so we couldn't see if they opened. The screen door had damage, and the steps - while present - did not actually deploy. While the floor seemed solid enough, there were just too many questions and potential downsides to this one that we walked away. That was too much of a project - we will be saving our pennies and buying something much newer.

I guess I'd better order that scale model from the factory and put it on my desk since it will be the closest we're going to come to owning one in the short term.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Don't give up, you Airstream is out there somewhere. I looked for over 6 months and walked away from one that was over 750 miles away from me. Then one day I get a PM from a member asking if I might be interested in his trailer. The rest is history.

Hang in there and keep looking!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylia View Post
W...we will be saving our pennies and buying something much newer.
Newer is not necessarily the answer! There are many, many vintage airstreams out there that have been well cared for and need little or no repair. If you can pony up something like 10-15K US, then you can get a vintage trailer that is in very good shape. Or, shoot for the 5-10K US range and get a vintage trailer that isn't immaculate, but very camp-able and can be spruced up over time with some personal touches.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
Lots of people are dumping their toys!!! There are a lot of airstreams for sale out there and you are in a buyers market. I wish you all the luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylia View Post
We got a chance to look at the inside and speak with the PO. Turns out this rig had changed hands several times since the original owners had her - through a sucession of bachelors and young party guys

The PO didn't have a battery in it, so there was no way to test the electrics. The regulator was broken, so no way to test the LP system. He had apparently never used the pump - had shoreside water whenever it was used - so no way to test the plumbing.

The rig was parked at an angle, so the latchless wardrobe doors were taped shut. When looking under the sink, I could see little bits of daylight - not a good sign. The windows were missing handles, so we couldn't see if they opened. The screen door had damage, and the steps - while present - did not actually deploy. While the floor seemed solid enough, there were just too many questions and potential downsides to this one that we walked away. That was too much of a project - we will be saving our pennies and buying something much newer.

I guess I'd better order that scale model from the factory and put it on my desk since it will be the closest we're going to come to owning one in the short term.
We paid $2600 for our '74, and it was in better shape than that one. I'd happily sell it for $5,000 Canadien.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks Terry, but California is a bit out of our hunting radius. At least getting a look inside told us a few things:

1. I really hate Harvest Gold
2. The mid cabin double bed is a bit small for two full sized adults
3. I think I'd prefer a rear bedroom with a full sized bed, and a mid trailer bath with a shower stall. I think that kind of a lay out would work better in a wider bodied model.

We haven't given up, we're just being patient. I know the right deal will come along in due time. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
I some how feel some how connected to this poor neglected Overlander. My Sovereigns' Wally # is very close to the one that is on this trailer. I think that you have made the right choice to move on from this Airstream. There is the right one out there with your name on it. And you with know it when it happens. With the help of the good people on this forum I know you will make the right choice.

My Sovereign.

The Overlander