Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
1969 '27 International Overlander For Sale (need advice)

Hello,
Still in the search mode for an A/S - and learning lots on the forum.
Was wondering if someone has or had a 1969 '27 International Overlander and could provide advice on a similar coach that is presently for sale on e-Bay.
The item No. is 150070750906

Negative Aspects;
The bathroom sink, counter, toilet, and hot water heater cover are missing. I am not overly concerned about this problem as I have cabinet making experience and necessary tools, or possibly a person could buy the missing items from a salvage A/S.
The trailer does not appear to have a curbside awning.
There is no equalizer hitch with the trailer.
A dent on the front of the coach.

Positive Aspects for us is that the coach is located a long day's drive (oneway) from us rather than in Florida, New York or California.
Exterior, and interior seem to be in good shape.

The following is a response from the seller in regards to some questions I had forwarded to him;

The trailer was purchased new in Sioux Falls, SD and I believe that it has been in the local area for most of it's life. I will sell to Canada, no problem. We are about 500 miles from Minot. The subfloor is in very good condition. I have poked around and not been able to find any weak spots or places that it is warped. The belly pan is in place and in good condition. Rock dents but no areas that have had any major damage. It only has one drain for waste water so I am assuming that it only has one tank for waste. I have not serviced the wheel bearings, but this could be done for a reasonable fee. The trailer brakes do work. The converter charger does work. The battery cables were lengthened when we got the trailer and had jumper cable clamps attached to them. It looks like they jumped it from a different vehicle. Battery box is still in place and cables could easily be refit to attach again. The curtains are not rotten, but the attaching material that the clips are sewn to is just falling apart when I pull on it. I have an equalizer hitch that was on a different trailer that I will be selling seperately on eBay. This trailer had one but it was gone when we got the trailer. It is set up for two propane tanks, but I do not have them. The glass is all in very good condition, no broken windows. There was an antenna on the trailer so the wiring is there. THERE IS NO RESERVE, BID EARLY AND OFTEN! THANKS, TOD and MIKE

Did this vintage of a trailer only have 1 holding tank as suggested by the seller?

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions,
Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
This trailer was built with only a black tank and fresh water tank. A 1969 is a very good year.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Bob,

these trailers had only one holding tank in the rear. The second holding tanks were introduced in 1974 I think. I really like the wood interior they had in 1969 and it also has a bunkbed, very cool... BUT these two dents in the roof (the big one and the smaller one at the rib) plus the dent in the lower streetside panel are really bad. You won´t be able to punsh them out and replacing these segments is not only a lot of work, it is also a lot of $$$. Plus new axels, plus the parts for the bathroom and A/C.

Sorry to say, but I think wait for another unit without these major dents... It is out there! I know it!!!

Good luck for your search!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
'69 27' Overlander

Bjoern

Wow, what a surprise to find your response all the way from Germany.

I do value your advice.

What would you think if;

The coach could be bought for a "reasonable" price?

If it could be determined the roof was not leaking at the front a person could leave the top dents as is - you cannot see them from the ground?

In a former life I spent 13 years in the autobody trade and I would not be concerned with removing some inner panels to work on the dent on the front curbside??

Lots of what iff's . . .

By the way - we have something sandblasted into the glass in our entry way door into our business.

It reads;

There are no strangers here . . .
Only friends we have not met . . .

Bob
Old 12-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
69' 27' Overlander

Hi Peegreen

We have e-mailed before. I had the keen eye for your Dad's Chrysler Wagon (tv) in your profile

I too believe '69 was a good year - July 19, 1969 was the date of our wedding & the same day Armstrong walked on the moon. I recently read the explanation of the message Armstrong sent back home to his old next door neighbour. It was priceless!
We're still hitched and have had 3 grandbabies in the last 25 months. Doesn't get any better!!

Can you elaborate as to why you believe the '69 27' Overlander was a good A/S??

Thanks,

Bob
Old 12-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hey Bob,

well you know as always with many what if´s it is hard to say don´t do it... It is nice looking unit from the pics! 1969 is a good year for the 70´s trailers although it was the first year and they only had that one holdingtank. I really do like the wood interior!! If you don´t mind the dents and if the trailer is really not leaking it should be ok! Do try to get pictures from the rear. What bothers me is that they show one, but only the upper part and not the bumper section where it maybe would be possible to see if there is any rear sag... Try to find some one who can inspect the trailer for you before bidding. There is a Thread here for volunteer inpsectors...
A resonable price would in my opinion not exeed $2500, maybe less. I don´t know if you have this chart??

I think that there are other maybe better units out there, it just takes a little time and patients.

I know how it is when you really want an Airstream! You want it now!! We bought ours very quick and due to distance without inspection. It is nice trailer and we really love it, but next time we will have more patients before buying , because now we still have a lot of work to do and will probably put more money in it than we would have needed in another trailer...

Really try to find an Inspector, that might help!

hope this helps...

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The dent in the front looks like a leaker to me. Notice in the one picture the sealent that has been applied in the seam area. Without a real inspection it is hard to judge any trailer. Don't ever trust the seller to tell you the whole truth. An air conditioner that does not blow cold air in South Dakota in the winter? The door latch is another item that may be costly to repair. Have you asked the seller why the bath is missing?

Without knowing the true condition of the floor or if the trailer has rear end sag / seperation or even frame damage you can not put a value on it. If you can get it cheap and are willing to put the time and money needed to get it to your standards, go for it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
BOB,dont let aluminitis get the best of you,cheers--------

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
We know where there is a 1970 (we think) 27' Overlander in Richland, Washington. Don't know if you want to travel that far or not. The interior is mahogony. Everything else is original. It appears to be in pretty good condition. The man who owns it is very elderly and his son has power of attorny and was looking for offers on it. Not sure what he might be willing to take for it. The son lives in Utah, so could take awhile to contact him about it, but thought I'd let you know.
WHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I grew up with the '69 - It's a classic, great wood interior, the first with rounded window corners and not a square rear. The 27' is a great size. I don't know anything about the one you're looking at, but don't become emotionally attached. These units can be money pits, even late model ones. The exterior doesn't look too bad, and as for axels, it looks to be riding at the correct height. It's worth a look at the right price - a personal visit is a must before you bid.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Checked the ebay listing. Except for no bath and a few exterior dents, this looks like a very respectable unit that warrants further investigation.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
'69 27' Overlander

Hello Bjoern & Peagreen,

In regards to the '69 model having only 1 holding tank

Is the grey water also plumbed into the single tank or do you have to carry along a tote tank for the grey water?
I have also read on the forum where owners at one time looked around for a gopher hole to get rid of grey water.
I am aware of regulations in Manitoba that are very strict in regards to disposal. I am sure simular regulations are in place in neighbouring provinces and states.
Certainly are all kinds of questions that crop up when one is contemplating a purchase.
I do appreciate Bjoern's caution about not getting overly anxious.
I just took our 2 Cocker Spaniels outside and there is a grand snow storm happening and that got me to thinking that you could not use an A/S if it was sitting in the driveway!!!!!
Camping will not resume until the May long weekend in these climes.

Bob
Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
69 is a changeover year

Bob - it all depends on what you want to put into your trailer.

By the pictures it has a few nice things going for it - but then there are a lot of unknowns that could rake up the change.

The wood in the 69 is really really nice. It gives you the last of the 60's feel but with the 70's space. They stretched all the 69's an extra foot longer and a foot wider.

With all the issues that have been identified here there of course a price tag with it.

I think a lot will attest - the better shape you start in the less expensive in the long run.

The dent can be fixed - but beware that you have a full fiberglass end panel that has to be removed - not just a couple of roof panels. But being a body main - with patience and the right tools and a woman's touch - you could tap that dent out to look as pretty as a pocked up hail storm rig. As far as leaking remove the rivets once you have it punched back out and re-seal and re-rivet. Does not seem that difficult.

The door lock/latch for that year is the L100 at $125.00US. If the A/C is not blowing cold that would be an issue - the old Armstrongs might be hard to find parts for. But if you can get her running cold they are usually very reliable. Ours blows real cold.

A negative is the wing windows on the 69's if they break you have to replace with lexan - there is no glass replacement.

I would question why the bathroom was being removed as well - very suspect of floor rot - and the only way to fix would be to remove the bathroom. But then if you are a handy guy then the PPO gave you a big head start on the project. Putting a new bathroom in would be a kind of fun project. But if you had restoring to original that might take a while to find parts.

The dent on the front and on the banana wrap both look fixable as well.

PS just because she looks like the right hieght does not mean anything on a petrified torsion axle of the late 60's. If it is rock hard you will shake the trailer apart. So if you get an inspector make sure they do a check on the bounce if any and the torsion arm angle.

If you really want it - for a day trip I would make it and be sure you are comfortable in the purchase - picking up a cheapy is not always the best route. Check the plastic through out - they could all be so brittle that they have to be replaced as well - and they are not cheap. (Cupboard catches and light shades)

good luck with your decision - it is a tough one when you look just at the wood interior - trust me we know. But we were lucky - no rot.

You can also get by without the grey tank - or they are easy enough to install one. The 69's were not like the 70-73 the grey did not back into the black they were separate - however they do drain out of the same hole. We use a 15 gal blue buggy low profile - it is great. If we don't want to use the buggy then we just use a bucket....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Gray water tank

If you have hookups you don't need a gray water tank.....just when you are boondocking, I think. Also, you can add the gray water tank.....we are doing that now to our 1969 27' Overlander or you can tote a blue tank. I don't think the gopher hole is allowed anymore unless you are in a very remote area but certainly not in campgrounds. Good luck on your purchase, pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote