Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Kentucky
1967 Overlander in AL

First time posting after reading and educating myself with the wealth of experience on this site.

I really want to get an airstream after owning and actively using two other travel trailers over the past five years (well over a year in that time).

I'm considering driving 4.5 hours to look at this camper:

1967 Airstream

Thought maybe someone on these forums would know something about it. I got the seller to send me photos of the other side and belly, both of which look good. At this point I feel like I just have to go see for myself. Taken at face value it looks like a good deal. Any advice is appreciated.
W123suv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
1967 Ambassador 24 Foot Airstream

This looks like the skins are in very good shape! The missing back access panel if not inside the trailer can be purchased from a few providers. If the dealer can prove all appliances work it is worth the price listed as long as the frame and sub floor are solid. Replacement glass can also be bought and many more parts are available as vintage resto parts from vendors. Go and see it in person! Road trip anyone? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I would go look at it. I really like the bath layout of the 67, although I own a 65! I especially like the twin bed setup, you don't see those very often! I'm sure the rear floor will be rotted,but if you get it for the right price,it might be worth it.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Kentucky
I was about to go down a couple weeks ago right after it was posted because I was excited about finding a good deal. Then I got too busy and figured I would let it go but now it's still for sale which makes me wonder if it's such a good deal why has it not sold yet?

If don't hear back from anyone on here about this specific camper I will probably make the trip down.

I asked about how the floors were and of course he said they were solid...I realize the rear floor is probably bad. Is the price fair even with a bad floor in back?

The dinette area doesn't look like any photos I've compared it too (although I like it well enough). Could it have that setup from the factory or was that a custom job along the line. Otherwise the rest of the trailer looks original.

The twin bed setup is a must and is what I have in my current camper.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Zanesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by W123suv View Post
First time posting after reading and educating myself with the wealth of experience on this site.

I really want to get an airstream after owning and actively using two other travel trailers over the past five years (well over a year in that time).

I'm considering driving 4.5 hours to look at this camper:

1967 Airstream

Thought maybe someone on these forums would know something about it. I got the seller to send me photos of the other side and belly, both of which look good. At this point I feel like I just have to go see for myself. Taken at face value it looks like a good deal. Any advice is appreciated.
We are glad we bought our 67. After a little, I mean a lot of work ours is looking pretty good. Hopefully you will be able to keep it all original. Just remember airstream parts = $$$$. When finished its well worth it. Enjoy
Laff67safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1968 24' Tradewind
Airstream_ , Open Road
Looks like a good deal!

I helped a friend get started on polishing one just like it two years ago.
I'm curious as to what is under that "patch" over the side window. It would still be worth getting and restoring. I'd go to at least look at it but, I'm in MN in the middle of mirror polishing a 1978 Sovereign.
Full timer WBCCI #1923
1966 Airstream 20' Globe Trotter (Twin)
1968 Airstream 24' Trade Wind (with Vista Views)
Airstream_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
I was about to go down a couple weeks ago right after it was posted because I was excited about finding a good deal. Then I got too busy and figured I would let it go but now it's still for sale which makes me wonder if it's such a good deal why has it not sold yet?

If don't hear back from anyone on here about this specific camper I will probably make the trip down.

I asked about how the floors were and of course he said they were solid...I realize the rear floor is probably bad. Is the price fair even with a bad floor in back?

The dinette area doesn't look like any photos I've compared it too (although I like it well enough). Could it have that setup from the factory or was that a custom job along the line. Otherwise the rest of the trailer looks original.

The twin bed setup is a must and is what I have in my current camper.

Thanks for the advice!
Assume some floor repair until you test it yourself or have a inspector to look at it for you. I still think the price is not bad if all appliances work. If not you can dicker with the dealer over the price due to having to replace non functioning items. The Dinette in the front of the trailer was an original option in '67. You could have a Goucho couch that folded down into a full bed or the Dinette Lounge that converts to two single twin beds. The lounge seat on the curbside @ the entry door has a slideout that extends into a full sized twin at night. The bolster cushions are used to fill in for the mattress area when made into beds. Basically you will end up with 4 Twin beds at night, The two mid-cabin twins fold up into Goucho couches amid ship for seating during the day. Very good useable space for this size Airstream! Go check it out! Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Kentucky
I am hoping to have time to go down this weekend. It's good to know that the dinette arrangement is original. I like the way it's laid out but could not find any photos of that setup so assumed it was not original.

I got distracted by another camper (72 overlander) and decided to go see it about 5 hours away in Michigan. The photos looked good and the owner said it was good except for a soft spot in the bathroom.

I got the price down to 4500 but after looking at it decided to walk away. It was the first airstream I have been inside and looked over. The two big reasons I bailed were the bathroom floor and rust.

The bathroom floor substrate seemed solid enough but as soon as you walked into the bathroom the floor would creak and sink down a little. I put the outriggers down and it still did it. Maybe that's normal but it didn't feel good to me?

The rust was only visible on the outriggers in the wheel wells and on the axles. The whole belly pan was there but more than half the rivets had corroded through. I could here a crunchy sound when I pushed up on the pan. I even saw some large flakes coming out at a couple edges and seams.

Based on the photos I saw and planning to fix some bathroom subfloor I was happy to pay 4500 but after seeing the underside I decided it was too big of a project. I love all things mechanical but hate fixing rust.

Did I make the right call or is this as good as it gets for 4500?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Old Trailers

Quote:
I am hoping to have time to go down this weekend. It's good to know that the dinette arrangement is original. I like the way it's laid out but could not find any photos of that setup so assumed it was not original.

I got distracted by another camper (72 overlander) and decided to go see it about 5 hours away in Michigan. The photos looked good and the owner said it was good except for a soft spot in the bathroom.

I got the price down to 4500 but after looking at it decided to walk away. It was the first airstream I have been inside and looked over. The two big reasons I bailed were the bathroom floor and rust.

The bathroom floor substrate seemed solid enough but as soon as you walked into the bathroom the floor would creak and sink down a little. I put the outriggers down and it still did it. Maybe that's normal but it didn't feel good to me?

The rust was only visible on the outriggers in the wheel wells and on the axles. The whole belly pan was there but more than half the rivets had corroded through. I could here a crunchy sound when I pushed up on the pan. I even saw some large flakes coming out at a couple edges and seams.

Based on the photos I saw and planning to fix some bathroom subfloor I was happy to pay 4500 but after seeing the underside I decided it was too big of a project. I love all things mechanical but hate fixing rust.

Did I make the right call or is this as good as it gets for 4500?
Rust, Rust, Rust! Unless you buy new from the factory you will always have to deal with RUST! Unless you see the frame under the floor you haven't seen rust yet! The belly pan is riveted to the frame and over time the fact that the rivets pull thru the belly pan is a given that will happen. Don't worry at this point that this has happened. You will want to "drop" the belly pan at some point to address the rust on your frame anyway. The Dinette IS an original option in these trailers! My Safari has the very same set-up as this for the front dining area. The Clean Water Tank is hidden along the front edge of the inside wall under the table. Some tables fold up some like mine do not. This table looks just like mine so I will assume it doesn't fold up. Most Tradewinds you find from these 3 years will have a goucho folding couch up front with a fold out table that is hidden in a side panel on the street side. As I said before your Dinette set-up was an option and back in the day customers could order any custom touches to their interiors that they wanted to make the trailers the way THEY wanted them. Ed
Old 08-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Louisville , Kentucky
Avion instead

Just wanted to update my process. I was planning to go down to AL this weekend when a 1975 Avion T-25 popped up on craigslist. The price was was low but I called the guy within an hour of listing and he agreed to give me until now the next day to come look at it. I'm really happy with it.

Sorry airstream people. I really like the anodized skin among other things about the avions. I'm sure I will still be on this forum a lot and thanks for the input on this.

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander