Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Vintage license plates in OHIO.

After a little research I've found that I can run vintage plates on my Argosy. Today at a yard sale I bought a collection of 23 vintage plates for $10. Three of them are camper plates. The vintage plates may be used on the rear of the trailer and the issued "Historic Vehicle" plates you can simply keep in your camper closet. It's a one time permanent registration. The catch is that every trip must be considered a "club" event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	plates.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	44730

General Information:
To qualify, motor vehicles must be at least 25 years old. They are solely collector's items and are used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, etc. They are NOT for general transportation.

Registrant Eligibility:
These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist. The vehicle must be 25 years of age or older. It is a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation.

Title Requirements:
Ohio Certificate of Title issued in individual's name, either singly or jointly, or the name is the same name on the lease agreement.

Vehicle Information:
These plates may be issued to any vehicle.

Type of Plates:
Stock, reserved, or personalized plates inscribed with the words Historical Vehicle Ohio (personalized plates may now contain up to six characters). Model Year Plates are also permitted.

Issuance Information:
Applicant must complete Form BMV 4806 (affidavit).

Cost:
There is a one-time fee for historical plates. The fee is determined by Ohio Revised Code section 4503.181.

The owner of an historical vehicle who desires to display model year license plates on the vehicle, is permitted by this section, shall execute at the time of registration an affidavit (BMV Form) setting forth that the model year license plates desired to be displayed on the historical vehicle are legible and serviceable license plates that were originally issued by this state.

A vehicle registered under this section may display historical vehicle license plates issued by the registrar of motor vehicles or model year license plates procured by the applicant.

Model year license plates shall be legible and serviceable license plates issued by this state and inscribed with the date of the year corresponding to the model year when the vehicle was manufactured.

Section 4503.21 of the Ohio Revised Code, states that only one model year license plate is required to be displayed on the rear of the historical vehicle at all times. The registration certificate shall be kept in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the highways and roads of this state.

Upon application for registration under this section and payment of the license tax prescribed in division (B) of this section, the owner of such a historical motor vehicle shall be issued historical vehicle license plates. The registration certificate and at least one of the license plates shall be kept in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the highways and roads of the state.

Historical vehicle and model year license plates shall be valid without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence. These plates are issued for the applicant's use only for such vehicle.

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The plate on my avatar would be the correct one for NM in 1971. It is a little unusual in that it is green and NM plates for years have been yellow and red. Unfortunately NM does not have a YOM law so I can't legally run it. I want to use it anyway, along with my official plate. Not sure yet exactly where to put it so I don't get pulled over for a invalid plate.

Also in NM they have tons of specialty and vanity plates, but you can't get one for a trailer so you have no choice other than the standard plate.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #3

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Antique Auto License Plates

I found this great online reference listing states that use historical plates:

Antique Auto License Plates

Nice historical info with photos and a "for sale" page too.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
nice!

Nice find, Steve! That is great information! Thanks for posting.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Car shows and Swap meets have many vendors with old plated
Old 08-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
I was told the DMV in Chardon, Ohio that I could use my 1965 plate and later she called me at my home and told me that there was an issue and the historic designation was only on motor vehicles. I was bumbed... And that reminds me, I have been driving without the proper plate.

Please let me know if you get through this, I will attempt it again at a different DMV office.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I have historic plates on my airstream and my buddies turned me on to it, they have them on older motor homes and hunting trailers. Hows the weather in Newbery getting ready for old man winter?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #8

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
The rule book does specifically say "motor vehicle" (see above) but I had no trouble getting issued my "historic plates" and registering my vintage plates for road use on the trailer.

I thought for sure I saw trailers mentioned somewhere in the rulebook.

Steve
Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
We are lucky to have found our gal with the plate issued to her in 1971. In California she was able to keep a part of her history. Our grandboys want to share the airstream ownership wtih us as they love the license plate.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
rslaymaker
The person at the BMV is totally misinformed. I went thru the same stuff,with the person insisting It had to be weighed. I was also told ITS NOT A MOTOR VEHICLE.WRONG . I do have Historic Plates on our 77 Overlander after Umteem trips between the title bureau and BMV offices. Oh for anyone wanting Ohio 77 Plates they never stamped any. 77 was the first sticker yr. or so Im told by collectors of old license plates.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Here are my 71 plates. The BMV made a quick call to verify the color scheme and issued me historical plates and said as long as I kept the historical plates onboard I could display my vintage plates. Robert
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7th b-day and parade 002.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	71672  
Old 11-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"Bertha" also has her original plate from 1953. Found it in the trunk when Gram-in-law sold it to us in 1976.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BERTHA AT THE BEACH.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	71673  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Helen Byam Schwamborn's Ohio Trailer #2, 1961

In keeping with her Airstream's, Caravan and Club number 2, my Mother had Ohio Trailer Vehicle Number 2. A very fitting compliment to her trailer.

Pee Wee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Helen license plate.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	71676  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Very nice Pee Wee what a true gem. Robert