Old 08-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
VIN wrong on trailer????

OK this is a long road I have went down trying to get a title for a 1972 overlander. I got a out of state inspection today and really looked at the vin. The first number is a 1 not a I??? It is very distinct, I am not seeing things, it looks just like this 1. Is this common?? Thanks Dragonnfly

Old 08-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi dragonnfly--The first character in my vin is also 1 not an I. I asked the same question a few weeks back on another thread (the thread regarding the bogus Excella), and the answer was that A/S did use 1 in place of I, sometimes, for reasons unknown. Hope you enjoy your Overlander as much as we enjoy ours. I think 27' is the perfect length to be big enough to be comfortable, and small enough to comfortably tow with a 1/2 ton.--Frank S

Old 08-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
dragonnfly,
Many times airstream did substitute a 1 for an I in the vin# .inland Andy
has confirmed this also .The reason isn't really clear but known
to happen ,so if the correct vin should be an I but is clearly a 1 ,it still represents an I .

Scott of scottanlily
Old 08-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi dragonnfly--Based on dealings with license bureaus in many states, I would recommend you NOT discuss this with them, and stay with the 1 for licensing. If they believe there is a discrepancy in your vin number, they can make you jump through hoops to straighten it out. The correct vin number for licensing is the one stamped on your A/S. Hope your title has the same 1. If not say nothing, and you will probably come out OK.--Frank S
Old 08-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi dragonnfly--Based on dealings with license bureaus in many states, I would recommend you NOT discuss this with them, and stay with the 1 for licensing. If they believe there is a discrepancy in your vin number, they can make you jump through hoops to straighten it out. The correct vin number for licensing is the one stamped on your A/S. Hope your title has the same 1. If not say nothing, and you will probably come out OK.--Frank S
What he said. Government officials like things easy and uncomplicated. Just hand over your paperwork smile and ask "How much should I make the check out for?" I say this as a retired Government official and know the its easier to make you suffer and do the impossible than make a decision that could get me in trouble mentality. This attitude does not apply to all but you could get unlucky.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weston , Ohio
Thanks

The only thing I have filled out so far is a "out of state inspection" form done by my local chrysler dealer. He charged me $25. to come out to the house and then had to go back and type up the form. Anyways this guy was like 85 years old, so I read him the VIN. I, knowing the VIN schematic, said the first symbol was a I. I went to pick it up yesterday and there was a "Z" in the VIN also. I knew that wasn't right so I told them I would just leave it there and get another one on Monday. Apparently the only person that knows how to work the typerwriter works Mon-Fri. I hope they dont give me alot of crap about changing the 1 also. If so they need to have someone else come out that can get down on their knees and see this VIN. I could very easily lose this inspection and get another one from another dealer if they get too frustrated with me. Thanks alot for your help. Dragonnfly