Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
Vin # Help!

Hi,
My husband and son are on a trip to a sporting goods store when they saw yes an AS camper. They stoped and looked inside and gave me this Vin #:

B06FJ
027T9J322

Could someone please tell me what kind of AS this is? I just started looking for AS and want to do my homework before I get excited! We have a 99 Suburban with a 3.73 axel ? gears ? (how ever you put it) and a tow package. I'm looking for a unit I can pull easily with my 99 Suburban. I was up until 2:00 AM reading about what was required to tow an AS and trying to find out (AT NIGHT WITH A FLASHLIGHT) what my Suburban came equiped with before we fell in love with the wrong AS.

Thanks for your help! I really need it!

Mrs. Pfay
pfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
027T9J322

I think that you have
O= Overlander
27= length
T= rear bath, twin bed
9 =1969
J= Jackson Center
322 your serial number (3 places =1960s/ 4 places=1970s

If this sounds correct you can figure approx weights from this information.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I'll take a stab at it too.

VaJeep has got it right on the most part except for the year and the O representing Overlander.

It is a 1969 and the O is really a 0 (zero) a number place holder or blank. In1979 they did not make a 27 foot model -There was a 29 foot that is an ambassador made in 79 according to the list of dryweights.

Here are the weights for the 69.

1969 OVERLANDER DELUXE LY 27 TWIN 4525 490 19
1969 OVERLANDER DELUXE LY 27 DOUBLE 4525 490 19
1969 OVERLANDER INTERNATIONAL LY 27 TWIN 4525 490 19
1969 OVERLANDER INTERNATIONAL LY 27 DOUBLE 4525 490
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey vajeep you figured it out and changed your post - always fun deciphering serial numbers.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks Pete,
I just corrected the year.

It also appears that Airstream changed Vin# code some time in 1969? The O in the front has me a little confused....
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is the link to the magic 60's & 70's VIN decoder. http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...pre1980vin.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
That was quick!

Hi,
That was quick! I just steped out and got 5 replies! You guys really know your stuff. Thank you everyone! How about my TV? Do you think I could make 11/2 hour trip to the coast without any problems? Oh yea, what about black, gray water tank? I'm still watching .

Mrs. pfay
Old 01-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfay
Oh yea, what about black, gray water tank?

Mrs. pfay
That year (1969) grey tanks did not exist in Airstreams yet. Some people have modified their units to include them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

http://www.trailerlife.com/towrating..._chevrolet.cfm you can find your TV towing capacity there. (it appears to be 6500 pounds)
It appears your vehicle should have no problem towing this size Airstream.

RichardT
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Pfay;

Do you have a picture of the unit you are looking at.

I am not totally convinced she is a 69 - as she could also be a pre 69 as VJeep mentioned - the 'O' could actually be an O and not a 0. 69+ the 0 is a place holder and pre 69 it is a letter.

As far as your TV we have a 1999 Yukon with a towing capacity of 6800- another 500# for the 4X4.

If it is earlier than 69 then it would just mean you have more payload available in the trailer as it would be lighter - either a Burb or the Yukon/Tahoe would do the trick. Some of the big hills can slow us up to around 60mph but we are quite happy pulling either our 21' or 26' .

Grey tank... no such luxury in the older models - most can be fabricated with one - but if you are not into that a 70-90 Blue buggy does the trick nicely. We picked up the low profile one easier to place under the trailer out of sight out of mind for those out there who are hung up about wash water.

Post pics as soon as you can.......
Old 01-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Here's one better, I've always seen that the VIN for mine should be I31T1J4268, but the last owner's title had it listed as 131T1J4268. I registered it as 131T1J4268. In Maryland, it's too much of a headache to change it, and frankly I don't care enough to argue with a DMV nitwit about whether it's an I or a 1.

By the way, I happened to be looking in my Owner's Manual yesterday, which has the original owner's warranty card still glued in it, and the VIN is listed as 131T1J4268. Funny, even an Airstream dealership couldn't get it right.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
I got a price!

My husband and son looked in the camper and said that the kitchen was nice and the bathroom was clean and a new floor was installed (easy to clean).

The owner was called and she said that the camper has been there for a while and she would take $4,500.00 for the Overlander . She said that the floor was replaced and that there was no black or gray tank and the water tank was small. There is a dent about the size of your fist when some property was being cleared and a log rolled into the camper. She also said that it did not leak! What other questions should I ask her? This might be the one until we decide what we want. I want to hook up the camper to make sure that all systems work. Sounds like she wants to move it! Please help, oh great Airstreamers, come together and give any advise!

Thank you,

Mrs.pfay
Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Ask her again about the black tank. If you don't have one of these you can't use the rest room.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Just noticed where you are. I spent two years in Cordele, Ga. building the hospital there. Know the area well. Maybe the present owner doesn't know about black water tanks. The drain should be in the rear. Better check that out. I'd check out the tires and axels and look for rusted-out underbelly. Those things can add up to a lot of money and you may want to offer less than her asking price to give you money to get it ready for camping. Let us know how things go and sent PICTURES. We love pictures on the forum.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
You might want to give this a look http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
Well this morining I'm going to look at the 1969 Overlander! My husband and son saw it on a road trip. I'm taking a camera. I looked at a 1972 Overlander last night and the PO had put so many extras in it that I was overwhelmed. Wish me luck, I may leave a deposit.

Thanks for your help!

Mrs.pfay
Old 01-18-2006, 07:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Good Luck Mrs Pfay;

Hope you read the inspection thread here to give you lots of ideas on what to look for.

If you have not left yet - take an ice pick and flash light with you. Be prepared to get on your hands and knees and check all the storage cupboards. Look for signs of water damage - black wood in corners - chalky white surfaces too - this is another type of mold. Mold on the ceilings is usually just dampness and easily washed off. Check for a strong floor around the door front window and under the kitchen counter/cupboards.

Be sure to open all the storage compartment doors on the out side. They are tricky so be gentle putting them back. Be sure to thoroughly look in the trunk - if the bathroom is in the back then this is a good place to look for water damage from the black tank, toilet sink bathtub and possibly water heater.

Check the propane lines for creases and kinks do they look browned and brittle if so they will need replacing. Plumbing check for patches with hot water heater hose and clamps - an easy and economical fix - but an indication that the lines have split for some reason.

Check all the windows operable. Check to make sure all the latches are there.

And of course if the PO can do it have them show you that all the systems are working Fridge both electric and propane.

On our 69 we replaced:
Toilet
Water Pump
Water Heater
Axle/Brakes
Tires
Wheels
Had a new vintage look awning made to match the original that was on it.
Replaced the curtains / and working on the Upholstery.
Replaced the fridge door inner skin (still looking for Ice box door)
Replaced all the propane copper.
New Propane Regulator
New Valves on original tanks
Got all leaks under control
Removed the carpet to find original tiles in excellent shape underneath.

A leak at the running lights and bumber rail had seeped enough to lift the tiles at the edge of the wall - but the floor had not started any rot - we were lucky!

Our Friends in Virginia with the same year and model - were not so lucky and he had to replace the whole floor area in the back.

One word of caution with the 69's - the wing windows in the front can not be replaced with glass - they were only made one year. Following 69 they made the wing windows with rounded corners top and bottom. However you can still replace the windows with Lexan - and to the onlooker you would not know the difference. Ours had all original windows in the front - and on two trips we have lost a wing window and the large front window.

On a more positive note - the 69's were the last year they had the total wood interior. The 1970 model did have some wood but also shared the look with the introduction of the tambres doors on the cupboards. Then in 72 they went to the (GA) composite 70's plastic material.

Although it is wood and looks great when all redone - keep in mind for the rigs to be light they are just veneer over a very light pressboard material.The veneer being over 30 years old can be very frail and care should be taken in the refinishing. And if regular use of the trailer is instore then precautions should be taken to preserve the wood beyond just a wax or oil treatement. The veneer will not hold up at the edges.

Not just because we have one - but we think the 69 is a very special year for Airstream and all man kind . It was a change over year from the very popular 63-68's and the introduction of some new technolgy and the door opened to the 70's era that so many people like (?????). It was a year of ending and beginning - just as landing on the moon

Good luck - and be sure to post pics when you get back you would be amazed at what folks here can pick up in a photo - we are all aluminum wizards with powers that go far beyond the naked eye.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
1969 Overlander Pics and Inspection notes

Just got in and I have attached some pics of the 1969 27’ Overlander. I have more pics but this is all I could load at one time. If there are other areas of interest I can send them in another post. Things I noticed while inspecting the trailer were as follows:

The floor seemed solid I could not find any soft spots

The original tile has been replaced with linoleum

The gas heater has been replaced with a Suburban model. It appears to have some ducting on the side of the heater that has been covered with aluminum tape.

The dents in the front will have to be repaired on both corners and a local dealer said he could do it for around $600.00

Most of the interior seems to be original i.e. frig, stove, oven, wood work, sink, counter tops, toilet, bath, doors to bath, and hallway, sofa, light fixtures, storage bins, etc.

Not a lot of additions or modifications by previous owners

Was not able to hook up electricity, gas, or pigtail to truck

Original owners manual, water, gas and electrical schematics were kept in good condition

The asking price is $4,500.00 with the owner asking us to make an offer

Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. Mrs.Pfay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image031.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	17744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image032.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	17745  

Name:	Image033.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	17746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image034.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	17747  

Name:	Image035.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	17748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image036.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	17749  

Name:	Image037.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	17750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image038.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	17751  

Name:	Image029.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	17755  
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Yes I have one - if you don't take it I will! No serious. She looks really clean from your pics.

Now as far as mods are concerned all depends on what you are looking for in a vintage trailer. This is a really nice looking one for $4500. We paid $4500 for our globe Trotter 2 years ago and this one looks in better shape!

On a second note - DO NOT get taken by a dealer on fixing those dents.

On the 69 the banana wrap in the front is very easy to drop - just drill out the rivets and then get yourself a shaping hammer set and knock those dents out. Those dents are from stones and small rocks on the road. We all have them - and after a while they add character to the rig.

Looks like someone has taken real good care of that one they are hard to find.

If I were in your shoes - and had a choice between the 69 and 72 - hands down on the 69 - but is all in the eye of the beholder.

Worst case - on the electrics you may have to change out the univolt - to an intelli power - $140.00 US

Worst case - on the propane - new tanks and/or regulator and replace old copper.

Worst case - on the Umbilical - change out and rewire the cord to the truck.

Mods - well not sure what mods you are looking at or want.....

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
We bought it!

We just closed the deal for $4K. Hope it works out to be a good deal for us and not a money pit. Thanks for everyones help and information I don't think we would have had the courage to make the deal without you!