Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Prineville , Oregon
VIN Dilemma

Well, I know this is a common problem but I'm not sure how to handle it. The VIN on my trailer doesn't match the VIN on the title. I"ve reserched it real well and the trailer I have does jive with the number on the frame. It looks to me like the title was simply mistyped. Here's the real VIN:

131D7 S0973

and here is the title VIN:

13D7 50973

They left out the "1" in 31 and they typed a "5" instead of a "S". It's obviously a clerical screw-up from a title previous to mine.

So now what? Do I go to DMV and ask them to straighten it out? Keep my mouth shut? When the trailers are titled in Oregon, a DMV official has to inpect the VIN so it's possible that the originally titled VIN is correct in their records. What worries me is what will happen if I decide to title it in another state or have an insurance claim.

God I hate the idea of dealing with DMV!
DasAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAir
Well, I know this is a common problem but I'm not sure how to handle it. The VIN on my trailer doesn't match the VIN on the title. I"ve reserched it real well and the trailer I have does jive with the number on the frame. It looks to me like the title was simply mistyped. Here's the real VIN:

131D7 S0973

and here is the title VIN:

13D7 50973

They left out the "1" in 31 and they typed a "5" instead of a "S". It's obviously a clerical screw-up from a title previous to mine.

So now what? Do I go to DMV and ask them to straighten it out? Keep my mouth shut? When the trailers are titled in Oregon, a DMV official has to inpect the VIN so it's possible that the originally titled VIN is correct in their records. What worries me is what will happen if I decide to title it in another state or have an insurance claim.

God I hate the idea of dealing with DMV!
No one can correct the error except DMV.

If you leave the title as is, then should your trailer be stolen, you could only report a bad serial number.

I would have DMV correct it, ASAP.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
First, could it be possible that you have a 31' Sovereign instead of the 27' listed in your profile. The VIN certainly suggests that. Here's how I read it:
I = International (that's an I, not a 1)
31 = 31 feet
D = rear bath double
7 = year
S = Santa Fe Springs (California factory)
0973 = sequential production number

Airstream lengths are bumper to ball and not length of the shell. You've got a 31 footer if the bumper to ball measurement is between 30' and 32'.

You've got two VIN info sources to clearly establish the earlier error - Airstream's FAQ section and R.J. Dial's VIN sample on each model page (upper left corner here) -- compare the window layouts for the 27' and 31', but get out a tape measure and measure your full length too.

Correcting the VIN on the title might be easier than you think. Would I bother with it yet if I wasn't moving out of state or selling the trailer? Maybe not ... until I think of what a hassle it would be if an accident report or insurance claim ever became necessary. Whatever $25 or $40 they want to charge could be cheap by comparison.

Take some pics of your trailer's badge. The VIN also is frequently embossed on A-frame, right side, below propane tanks). Take the VIN info and printouts of the above two webpages -- run that by your local DMV office and ask if they want to actually see the trailer. Let us know how it turns out.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Prineville , Oregon
Yes, in fact, I do have a 31ft Soveriegn International. I talked to Andy this morning (thanks so much Andy!). My title says its a 27ft and the guy I bought it from said it was a 27ft. I guess I got 4ft that I didn't pay for . I was wondering why the personal profile here didn't offer a 27ft Soveriegn as an option, . Heck, even the manuals I got with it listed it available in 27, 29, and 31 ft versions. Anyway, I called Andy about axles which led us to the VIN, which led me back to my title, and well, here I am! Andy, I bit the bullet and took your advice. To my utter amazement, the woman at DMV just looked at it and said, "yep, that happens" She said all I have to do is pull it down there so a DMV rep can visual it, and they will update the records.

Lots of thanks to Andy for helping me unravel a major source of confusion on my part. I've had this AS for 2 years, but have just started the restoration in the last couple months. I'm on a steep learning curve where AS is concerned, and luckily I have the folks here to help me along.

Now I've got to get back and update my profile!

David
DasAir is offline   Reply With Quote