Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Using and storing the AS in the Northeast and Canada but living in California.

We are purchasing a used 2015 FC 28 in New York and plan to tour around the north east and Canada during the spring and fall and store the AS in a covered facility near an airport the rest of the year returning to California between adventures. The AS will probably not get to California for several years. We will probably store at different facilities in different states near major airports. I am sure someone has gone thru this already. So the question is how/where do we register her? Can you register in one state and live in another and travel around different states?
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Anybody out there have any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
It gets better. If I register in state of California, the AS must be inspected at a DMV Office in the State of California.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
That is a very interesting question. I would have thought that the DMV would accept a certification from an AS dealer or a law enforcement agency, but I've never dealt with the problem. Guess you could register the coach and tow vehicle in the state you plan to use for storage. Would think partial residency, as with contract employment would be possible. Will be interesting to hear what folks report. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Don't you have to register it in the state you are domiciled?

No different than a car really.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There is no emissions test for trailers (at least in Arizona). I suspect that California only wants the taxes and fees, and you can title and register your Airstream without physically being in the state. We had a similar situation when we renewed our TV license plates while on the road a year or two ago, although license renewal may be less involved than a new registration.

Suggest you contact Motor Vehicle Department or check FAQs online for how to proceed, as yours in not a unique situation.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatNutG2 View Post
It gets better. If I register in state of California, the AS must be inspected at a DMV Office in the State of California.
You could register it in Maine until you're ready to relocate it to California. You don't have to be a resident to register a trailer in Maine. Not sure if there are other states that allow this or not. If it's not convenient to go to Maine in person you can do this through the Staab Agency (https://staabagency.com). I've dealt with them a couple of times to register old trailers for import to Canada and they're very helpful.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
What are you going to TOW said Airstream with and, where will THAT be registered? A ME reg might work for you until you bring it back to CA. ME has very reasonably priced 10 YEAR trailer registrations (although I don't know if that's only for utility trailers). Will insurance cover an expensive trailer that's parked away from you for most of the year?
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
I hear many people register in TX. It is advantageous for taxes and Mail if / when you go full time. I would think a search for "Registering " " Regiater" would help.
luck
tjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjansen View Post
I hear many people register in TX. It is advantageous for taxes and Mail if / when you go full time. I would think a search for "Registering " " Regiater" would help.
luck
At a point in time Texas was a choice for registration due to tax advantages and available residency management services. A coworker chose this option for many years after retirement.

However, it may not work for some and likely this case, because a periodic (annual?) inspection of the trailer is now required. That makes a periodic visit to Texas necessary. If folks are regularly traveling across the country, that is less of an issue. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #11
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Thank you for all the suggestions. I contacted Vermont DMV and they do not require residency or inspection and are glad to do it(they even sent me a form to complete), I think I will have to pay a 6% sales tax but I should be able to use that as an offset against California sales tax when I take the AS to California.

Thank you for the Maine suggestion I will check them out.

Tow vehicle is still up in the air. We will rent a truck from Enterprise for a couple of months each trip. I do not like the idea of the truck just sitting. We will probably buy a truck when we finally start the trip west. I am actively looking for inside storage locations on the east coast, the best suggestion so far appears to be the RV storage at the foot of the runway at BWI, but I would like to be farther north to start. I still need to work out the Insurance, If its stored inside at a reputable location insurance should not be too big a problem, I hope.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #12
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Check out Brady's bend storage outside pittsburgh.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatNutG2 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. I contacted Vermont DMV and they do not require residency or inspection and are glad to do it(they even sent me a form to complete), I think I will have to pay a 6% sales tax but I should be able to use that as an offset against California sales tax when I take the AS to California.

Thank you for the Maine suggestion I will check them out.

Tow vehicle is still up in the air. We will rent a truck from Enterprise for a couple of months each trip. I do not like the idea of the truck just sitting. We will probably buy a truck when we finally start the trip west. I am actively looking for inside storage locations on the east coast, the best suggestion so far appears to be the RV storage at the foot of the runway at BWI, but I would like to be farther north to start. I still need to work out the Insurance, If its stored inside at a reputable location insurance should not be too big a problem, I hope.
We weren't required to pay sales tax in Maine when we registered the trailers there. That was about 5 years ago, so it could have changed.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Correct about CA, know someone who purchased in TN was traveling to long for temp tags so he had to drive to the first inspection station in CA then turned around the next day and drove back to SC.

While I understand the short term thought process of "near an airport" larger picture thinking is, land, get truck, drive to storage facility. Flying into Logan in Boston and you within 4 hours of just about any point in New England. Do you really need to hook up the trailer faster than that? Nevermind the expense of trying to find large enough storage in that kind of an area and what that might cost. I would look for indoor storage in the most out of the way place in New England and save big time and then your not trying to tow out of whatever major city you flew into.

I drive by this place all the time LINK I don't know what their rates are, but a few exits south is the area airstream dealer and a campers inn for general supplies.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #15
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Perfect just the type of information I need. Great minds think alike.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I drive by this place all the time LINK I don't know what their rates are, but a few exits south is the area airstream dealer and a campers inn for general supplies.
Pretty expensive. For 4 months storage of a 28' trailer it's $1344. I've seen similar prices in other places.

If you go out to Pittsburgh, it's $340.

I've stored mine in Brady's Bend and it was a great experience. Given your situation you might have an issue with the propane tanks. You can't bring them underground. So you'll have to make arrangements to store them somewhere. Perhaps they can accommodate you, but I'm not sure.