Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I get mine checked every year. $14.50 vs. $250 is a no brainer. Where I get mine done, they told me they are looking at all lights working, proper safety chains and the break away switch working and tire tread depth. All the things we should check every time we make a trip. By the way they put my sticker on the front streetside stack window.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
i transferred mine from out of state, and that required an inspection. My uncle owns a business that does trailer inspections and since mine needed some repairs before being inspected, I made sure to ask what needed to be working to pass inspection. If there's a light on the trailer, it has to work. also, the breakaway switch and brakes. My sticker is on the tongue.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I bought my 2002 ASCL 31' from CanAm RV in Canada. When I got back to Houston, being dumb an happy, I proceeded to title/register it, without any thought that it might require an inspection, and did so without any demand for an inspection.

I'm still happy, but not as dumb since I read this thread. I figure I've saved about $145.00 in inspection fees over the last 10 years so if I can just go another few years I may save enough to pay for any ticket I get .......... maybe this rationale still leaves me dumb, you suppose?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
I bought my 2002 ASCL 31' from CanAm RV in Canada. When I got back to Houston, being dumb an happy, I proceeded to title/register it, without any thought that it might require an inspection, and did so without any demand for an inspection.

I'm still happy, but not as dumb since I read this thread. I figure I've saved about $145.00 in inspection fees over the last 10 years so if I can just go another few years I may save enough to pay for any ticket I get .......... maybe this rationale still leaves me dumb, you suppose?
So, you haven't been checked for an inspection sticker in 10 years????? Hmmm......
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ours did not have an inspection sticker when we bought it, in Texas. No request for one when we registered it in Texas. And this is the first I have ever heard about a law requiring it in Texas. Learn something new every day I guess. After reading the posts above about the varying degrees of actual inspection that is done, it is obviously not something that is being properly administered.. Sounds like a scam just to gain money for the state. (and not even a good one since they don't seem to enforce the requirement) Doubt I will play.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Thanks All,

I think I will put mine on my street side front window. Don't want to scrape it off the tongue I just painted nor the rock guard Plexi.

SG
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Got er done!

Well thanks to this post I got my trailer inspected today. Went to the local state inspection place and is was a simple process: Lights, Insurance, and OK Mr. Smith your all done.
He didnt know where to put the sticker so we just stuck it where the old one was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0993.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	145490

After I got that done I went and got my new registration sticker too, so now Im good to go!

Thanks for starting this thread Sphere Guy, learned something here. You might have kept me from getting a 250 dollar ticket.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Virginia does an inspection once a year, and they use a sticky backed inspection sticker that goes on the road side of the tongue.

Now mind you I've seen people with stickers that are YEARS out of date or with no sticker at all that regularly tow on the highway.

Me... I'm a cop magnet. If I have a sticker that is ONE DAY out of date, I will get caught, so I keep mine up to date. Unfortunately there are few places that DO trailer inspections so it's always best to get them done early in the month before the crowds hit.

Paula
I'm from Virginia also. Have to get both the AS and my car trailer inspected annually. Sticker goes on the street side of the tongue.
My dealer requires me to back the trailer in to his single door garage to inspect it; requires almost a 90 degree back up to get it in line.....I guess so he can see the lights! He says it is a state requirement that it be IN the garage......a real pain for an 8 minute job and $16.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Way to go Mr.S. Now don't you feel better!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Ours did not have an inspection sticker when we bought it, in Texas. No request for one when we registered it in Texas. And this is the first I have ever heard about a law requiring it in Texas. Learn something new every day I guess. After reading the posts above about the varying degrees of actual inspection that is done, it is obviously not something that is being properly administered.. Sounds like a scam just to gain money for the state. (and not even a good one since they don't seem to enforce the requirement) Doubt I will play.
ok, I was so wrong. It actually does have an old sticker, right on the aluminum skin where a rock guard would be on a newer trailer. Street side. But I cannot tell from what year. The 4 was punched out, It is a 1984 Sovereign so 1984, 94, 2004?? Obviously not something that was done often. I think I like the way this one looks so I may just leave it.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #25
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
INSPECTION STICKER????

What are you guys talking about?

I bought mine NEW...If the dealer didn't add one,..you would think they aren't needed!Really an Inspection Sticker??? I have had LOgged OVER 15,000 miles in 2 years and Never heard of such nonsense.

Are you guys for real??? It's a Law?

Gotta be for MOTORHOMES....Right?

Seriously.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
INSPECTION STICKER????

What are you guys talking about?

I bought mine NEW...If the dealer didn't add one,..you would think they aren't needed!Really an Inspection Sticker??? I have had LOgged OVER 15,000 miles in 2 years and Never heard of such nonsense.

Are you guys for real??? It's a Law?

Seriously.

Shane

Seriously! Had mine done today, Id never heard of such either. Inspector told me its a 250 dollar fine for not having it. He said State Troopers are the worst about checking for it.

I just went ahead and paid my 14.50 instead of waiting to see if I was gonna have to pay the 250.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #27
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Why would it not come "Inspected" from a dealer?

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Why would it not come "Inspected" from a dealer?

Shane

When I went to get mine registered today I asked about the whole inspection sticker thing and they told me that it only has to be inspected if it has a gross weight of 4500 lbs or more.