Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
colorado springs , Colorado
Wink Title missing & past owners have died...

I am trying to gain possession of my grandparent's AS, but the title is MIA and they have both passed away. I know this will probably not be an easy task...but I know I am not the only person to have been in a situation like this. I would assume I need to apply for a lost/duplicate title. That probably won't be easy since the past owners are not alive, but hopefully not impossible. Does anyone have any advice they would like to send my way to make this process less painful?
ColoPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Are they also from Colorado? Are you sure there was a title? Some states, like here in RI, don't title trailers.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Are they also from Colorado? Are you sure there was a title? Some states, like here in RI, don't title trailers.

They lived in Florida and I believe Florida requires registration of trailers.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Contact the Florida DMV. This is not an unusual situation. There probably is a standard form to fill out.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
May need a copy of death certificates, and other stuff to prove you are related. Good luck--it should be doable.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think it will be easier than you think. The DMV deals with quirky problems all the time.
But try to arm yourself with all the information you can.
Is the trailer registered currently? Can you get the last registration?
Do you plan on registering it in Colorado?
Get the model, serial number, length, and approx weight and value.
Was there a will? Or is it just being passed to you?
You may have to show they owned it too.

Then visit your Colorado DMV (if you're keeping it there) and ask them what else you need.
I have found the DMV people in Florida to be very nice and helpful. It's the wait to see them that's frustrating. Many places you can make a reservation.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ok thanks for the ideas everybody. My goal is to gain possession of the AS so I can either have it moved to a shop to get a quote on having it fixed to a road ready condition OR gaining possession so it can be sold as is. (I would rather keep in the family and have it restored if possible!) I talked with the Fla DMV this morning...the tag that was on the AS didn't pull anything up because it has not been registered in over 10 yrs so the DMV purges the tag and reissues it. The weird thing is they couldn't pull up a record of my grandfather having registered it. (I also had them check under my grandmother's name) I won't be able to get very far without the VIN and my Uncle who has the trailer on his property said he doesn't see a VIN and other people in the past who wanted to buy the AS couldn't find it either. Maybe they just don't know where to look... I will prob have to pay someone who is in the S. Fla area and is familiar with AS trailers to go look for the VIN and report back to me.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Tell us more about the trailer (ideally the year) and/or show some photos of it, and people on here can tell you exactly where to find the serial #. If it's old enough, the serial # isn't going to look like an automotive VIN.

I can't say that this applies everywhere, but in Texas the executor of an estate has a couple of documents (the death certificate and the Letters Testamentary) he or she can use to act on the estate's behalf to do things like sell or transfer real property. Those plus the serial number and a DMV form should be enough to get a duplicate title issued (assuming Florida titles travel trailers of the age of the one in question) and from there it can be transferred to a buyer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
As a rule of thumb the estate owns the trailer, different states will have different laws and procedures. If all qualified survivors agree that you should have the trailer, and the State makes no claim against the asset, then acquiring a title should be more of less straight forward. If the State was making a claim, I would consider seeing it “abandoned” on my property and filing for an abandoned title after the allotted time.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoPedro View Post
I am trying to gain possession of my grandparent's AS, but the title is MIA and they have both passed away. I know this will probably not be an easy task...but I know I am not the only person to have been in a situation like this. I would assume I need to apply for a lost/duplicate title. That probably won't be easy since the past owners are not alive, but hopefully not impossible. Does anyone have any advice they would like to send my way to make this process less painful?
Is this the same trailer you posted about in those two other threads, which just got merged into one thread?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...am-185093.html

It might be helpful for readers to be able to track everything IMO, including the photos over there.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Title quest

Quote:
The Lawyer handling the settlement of the estate should be able to take care of this easily. Had very similar situation few years back when I lived in Naples, Florida. Florida DMV is the best IMHO. I have lived in several different states. Florida rocks when it comes to title work.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yes this is the same trailer I posted pictures of in the other threads. It may not be easy but I am confident I can work through the red tape and get possession of it, BUT the DMV didn't see it ever registered under my grandparent's name, which is odd. So now the next option is to get the VIN to apply for the title. I am in Colorado so I can't look for the VIN because the AS is in Florida and my Uncle that has it with him is having trouble finding the VIN. He said it looks like something was once posted to the middle area under the window next to the door, but it is not there now. I've heard the VIN should also be on the tongue, but it is covered in weeds and he is afraid to take a closer look. I am going to try to find and pay someone who lives in the area to go take a look and see if they can find the VIN.

So with all that being said, I started this thread thinking it would be a different topic then the other thread I started, but it looks like I am back to square one with just trying to get the VIN number off of the AS. Prob just best to close this thread for now since I can't do much on the paperwork side of things without the VIN...
Old 08-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
OK, I looked at the photos on that other thread. It's a '70s Overlander, so just forward of the door there's a badge that says Overlander. On that badge will be the serial number. Since that looks like an International, I'm guessing the number will begin I27, then will have 1 letter, 1 digit, 1 letter and a string of digits. In the 70s these were split across 2 raised rectangles in the center portion of that badge in front of the door.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 08-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
A few years ago I was interested in claiming an abandoned trailer in FL, so I am familiar with the process.

You will need this form. https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf
It must be presented at the county tax collector's office in the county where the vehicle was last registered. (if you are out of state, MAYBE there is an alternate way? ….. see below)

Look at the very last portion of the form where you are making the claim for a deceased person (or persons). You will need a certified letter from the executor of the estate(s) allowing you to claim the vehicle, and/or signatures of the heirs on the form.

If it was me, I would put on new tires, get the bearings greased/replaced, get the lights functioning, then tow it home. THEN do the application for title. Once it is out of state, in the new owner's possession, the bargaining position is stronger.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ok, Thanks so much for all of the good info! I am excited to be an owner of an Airstream, even if it does come with a family of raccoons or snakes!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The ID number will be stamped on the A frame (tongue). It is not a VIN number. They didn't start until the '80's. ????
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Is the Airstream on family land?

The state of FL considers the trailer "abandoned" since it has been parked unregistered there so long. The "land owner" where it is parked can make application for the title, based on abandonment on their private property. If that landowner desires, they could designate you as the new title holder.

In the case of abandonment and claim by a landowner, a provisional title will be issue after paying the registration fees. After a waiting period, which gives the actual owner time to make a counter claim, a regular title will be issued.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One very simple answer to the question may be that the trailer never was registered in Florida. Are there plates on the trailer? If so from where? If not, are there any pictures of the trailer with plates on it?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

marysville , Ohio
I would suggest you contact Airstream’s corporate office and ask for a duplicate of the title. I had a friend that did this on his72 trailer trailer and was able to get a duplicate.

Good luck.
frotow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frotow View Post
I would suggest you contact Airstream’s corporate office and ask for a duplicate of the title. I had a friend that did this on his72 trailer trailer and was able to get a duplicate.

Good luck.
The only way Airstream would ever have a copy of your title would be if (sometime in the past) they had a captive finance division that loaned money on the trailers. A manufacturer creates a "Certificate of Origin" which is used in the original application for title, but when the title is issued it goes only to the owner or lienholder, not back to Airstream.