Old 08-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
colorado springs , Colorado
Ok, Thanks so much for all of the good info! I am excited to be an owner of an Airstream, even if it does come with a family of raccoons or snakes!

ColoPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The ID number will be stamped on the A frame (tongue). It is not a VIN number. They didn't start until the '80's. ????

Old 08-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Is the Airstream on family land?

The state of FL considers the trailer "abandoned" since it has been parked unregistered there so long. The "land owner" where it is parked can make application for the title, based on abandonment on their private property. If that landowner desires, they could designate you as the new title holder.

In the case of abandonment and claim by a landowner, a provisional title will be issue after paying the registration fees. After a waiting period, which gives the actual owner time to make a counter claim, a regular title will be issued.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One very simple answer to the question may be that the trailer never was registered in Florida. Are there plates on the trailer? If so from where? If not, are there any pictures of the trailer with plates on it?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

marysville , Ohio
I would suggest you contact Airstream’s corporate office and ask for a duplicate of the title. I had a friend that did this on his72 trailer trailer and was able to get a duplicate.

Good luck.
frotow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frotow View Post
I would suggest you contact Airstream’s corporate office and ask for a duplicate of the title. I had a friend that did this on his72 trailer trailer and was able to get a duplicate.

Good luck.
The only way Airstream would ever have a copy of your title would be if (sometime in the past) they had a captive finance division that loaned money on the trailers. A manufacturer creates a "Certificate of Origin" which is used in the original application for title, but when the title is issued it goes only to the owner or lienholder, not back to Airstream.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
As a retired probate attorney, I've dealt with these issues routinely for decades. First of all, you present two independent issues, which should not be confused with each other, and each should be treated separately and independently:
1. How to get a duplicate title when the original title has been lost; and
2. Once the duplicate title has been obtained, how to transfer the title to its rightful owner as the existing owner(s) of the trailer has (have) died.

As for getting a duplicate title, that's really the task of the Executor/Administrator of the owner's (owners') estate, as the owner(s) have died --- likely meaning that the trailer has fallen into his/her/their probate estate (assuming, for example, that the trailer was not titled in the form of joint tenancy with right of survivorship and a survivor remains on title). At least in WA, where I practiced, that was a simple matter of the Executor/Administrator's (or his or her attorney) applying for a duplicate license through the Dept. of Motor Vehicles/Dept. of Licensing of the trailer's state of registration. I've done dozens of these --- it's just a matter of getting the proper form (chances are over the Internet from the proper state agency), filling it out, perhaps getting it notarized, and submitting it to the proper state agency together with paying the standard fee for the service.

As for transferring title, that's up to the decedent's (decedents') estate, their Wills if any, state law if no Will(s), and getting the Executor/Administrator (or his or her attorney) to transfer the trailer accordingly, again by getting the proper form, filling it out, perhaps getting it notarized, and submitting it to the proper state agency together with paying the standard fee for the service.

All of this can be done easily; it's just a matter of following the correct procedure, which, involving the law, typically means a lot of paperwork --- tedious but doable.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Title to Airstream

Bought new 2018 Intl Signature FB at Salem, OR International. I am told by dealer they don’t require title in Oregon. Is that true and how do I ever sell it in a state that requires a title?
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingLink5 View Post
Bought new 2018 Intl Signature FB at Salem, OR International. I am told by dealer they don’t require title in Oregon. Is that true and how do I ever sell it in a state that requires a title?
Not true
Registration = title
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Forms/DMV/464.pdf
Old 08-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
colorado springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One very simple answer to the question may be that the trailer never was registered in Florida. Are there plates on the trailer? If so from where? If not, are there any pictures of the trailer with plates on it?

Bob

There actually are still FLA plates on it so it was registered before, but the DMV looked up the plate and told me after 10 years of not renewing the registration that plate number had been reassigned.
ColoPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
CORVALLIS , Oregon
I was recently the executor of my brother's estate which included a Casita trailer that was not titled in his name. I believe that all states in which trailers are titled require a VIN verification. The FL DMV can tell you. In TX it was an officer from the sheriff's office.

It should be an easy process. Just a heads-up though - the officer that inspected the trailer used the stamped number on the frame rather than the plate similar to Airstream's. I got someone from the Casita factory in contact with the officer to straighten out the issue. That being said, you could possibly save some time by asking the officer before the inspection date to verify that he/she knows where the VIN is located.

Not complicated at all but time-consuming especially when you live in another state. Good luck.
GayandDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Huntsville , Alabama
Getting title

I am a retired auto dealer and my wife processed all our titles. Each state is a little different but the process is close to the same. Go to your DMV with: death certificates ( if in both names) probate court ruling that designates you as beneficiary or executor and if nothing is owed on it- they will be able to issue you a replacement title.... according to the probate courts ruling -either in your name(preferred) or in the name of the”Estate of....”. Not hard to do but a few hoops to jump through. Wish you well

Bruce
Interstate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I did not read all the responses, so sorry if this has been mentioned previoiusly. What about simply going through the "bonded" title process? There are usually individuals/companies around that will do all the work for you at a nominal fee. I went this route on a 1952 Chevy pickup that I purchased without title. Very low risk to you since you know it is not stolen and no one will claim the trailer for the two year period that the bonded title covers. After two years, you can convert the title to a regular title.

With all that said, that is how it works in TX. Your state might vary.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #28

1981 31' Excella II
Prescott , Arizona
title problem

Unclebob is correct. Take a picture of the VIN off the trailer, take that and the license plate to MVD wherever you live and talk to the folks about your situation. They my want to do a physical inspection to verify the VIN. Ask them to do a motor vehicle title search. It will take some time and paper work on your side and you may have get a "bonded title" if no owner responses to your inquiries about the ownership. Make a friend at MVD things will go smoother. You'll get a clean title, it just takes time and effort on your part. Gook luck.

Cedarhill is offline   Reply With Quote