Old 10-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Lots of good intentions here, some good advice and directions and some horrid workarounds or ways of cheating

Do it right, don't try to cut corners it usually doesn't work even if it does for a little while.

As mentioned a good MVD clerk has likely handled this daily.

Also let's not assume an unregistered trailer is automatically covered by your insurance when pulling it. Why should it be. If you haven't done any of the steps to make it legal.

Call your insurance, call your MVD and if you could get their answers in writing.
As long as it's known that the airstream isn't stolen. Then there is no such thing as a horrid way of cheating. You do what ever is needed to get the necessary result. Not one post written on this thread is a horrid way of cheating.

You have to do what ever you can to deal with a bureaucracy made and ran by folks who mirror the characters from Orwell's 1984. If it works. Do it.

Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The first step should be to run the VIN through all legal channels to see if it is stolen IMO. To insulate yourself, maybe have your attorney do this?

If this gives a green light, then earlier advice is aiming in the right direction, starting with DMV of your home state, and state where trailer is located.

Good luck,

Peter

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
That's exactly what I would do, except I would look into a VIN check first to make sure there was no record of it being stolen.
Like I said, hand it back to the seller and say “please locate the owner and bring this back signed. Here’s $25 for gas”. Let him take care of it. This is being made way more complicated than it is.

The guy’s in Texas, so quoting California or Mississippi laws ain’t gonna help. Neither is warning about frame separation, tires falling off and taking out others, etc. I assume he is a grown-up and has at least verified this will tow OK or he wouldn’t do it.

I’ve driven cars home with no plate, bill of sale (and proof of insurance) in my pocket, never an issue. Unless your vehicle has pieces hanging off, no exhaust, or three different colors of body panel or you have warrants, you are fine. I’ve even been pulled over in a bad area with said car by 6 sheriff’s cars, was back on my way in 2 minutes.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
In New Mexico it is legal to tow a unregistered trailer from point of sale to home.

In New Mexico trailer insurance is not required at any time.

In New Mexico you can file an affidavit of sale and post a bond on an untitled trailer. So this stuff varies and depends on the state.

Thanks for the correction and reminder - every jurisdiction can vary...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
Just for clarification. There's nothing illegal about registering any vehicle in Vermont. it could be called a loop hole. But it isn't that either. This is done every day by people with hard to register vehicles. The Vermont DMV runs a VIN check to make sure what is being registered isn't stolen and then makes millions in revenue, registering vehicles all over the United States.

In cases where there is no title. This is always the cheapest, fastest and easiest legal path to take as you can register with nothing but a bill of sale from any state in America.

Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote