Old 09-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

1962 16' Bambi
Salt Lake City , Utah
Title Help

Hi Everyone!
I have a 1962 Bambi, and it was my father's trailer. He passed away in the early 90's, and it was left outside by our cabin for some years. I decided to tow it to Utah from Illinois. I could NOT find the title in any of my father's papers, and Illinois issued temporary plates. It sat out here for 16 years in my driveway, as I was unable to find a person to rebuild it.
Now, I am moving back to Illinois, and have found a person who wants to buy it and rebuild it. But how do I achieve a new titlle? Someone said to start by running the VIN # through the police to show any history. This trailer has been in the family for forty years.
Is the best path to go to the Utah DMV and proceed from there?
I could use some help and suggestions with this, having never done it before.
Sincerely,
Lyndon

Old 09-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
Hi Everyone!
I have a 1962 Bambi, and it was my father's trailer. He passed away in the early 90's, and it was left outside by our cabin for some years. I decided to tow it to Utah from Illinois. I could NOT find the title in any of my father's papers, and Illinois issued temporary plates. It sat out here for 16 years in my driveway, as I was unable to find a person to rebuild it.
Now, I am moving back to Illinois, and have found a person who wants to buy it and rebuild it. But how do I achieve a new titlle? Someone said to start by running the VIN # through the police to show any history. This trailer has been in the family for forty years.
Is the best path to go to the Utah DMV and proceed from there?
I could use some help and suggestions with this, having never done it before.
Sincerely,
Lyndon
If you know the state in which your father registered it, contact their registrar of motor vehicles. It may or may not be a state that titles old trailers, they should be able to tell you AND give you information about the last time it was registered. If it was titled to your dad in that state, they should be able to provide you with a replacement title (the worst thing they'd ask for would be whatever documentation that state requires to prove you're the administrator of the estate.)

If it's NOT a state that titled trailers back then but IL *IS*, you might need to do whatever IL's equivalent of a "bonded title" is. In your situation where you know the history of the trailer for 20+ years, a bonded title shouldn't be a huge problem, just an investment of time and money.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
All trailers used on rd are titled in Il. if you have copy of death cert. or can obtain one and you are in will also direct lineage should be easy to get title. I'm not lawyer but had simular circumstance when my father was killed in accident.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Mods won't let edit time expired. Only trailers lic. in Il. must be titled in il. If not used on rd. no req.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

1962 16' Bambi
Salt Lake City , Utah
featherbedder:
That process in Illinois would be difficult for me out in Utah.
I think I understand what you are saying, but I plan to be visit the Utah DMV tomorrow and see what can be done.
I don't have my father's death certificate out here. I could contact the family lawyer and make sure I have the power of attorney in my family.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Lyndon