Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #1

1963 22' Safari
BLACKSBURG , South Carolina
title

I am repairing a 1963 safari that I bought about 5 years ago. It has been sitting in my backyard until now. When we bought it, the man we bought it from did not have a title for it. I need to title it to get back on the road. What happens if I am unable find the title or the person who titled it last. I know there is a process for getting a lost title, but in the state of south carolina, can you get a salvage title. Remember it is over 40 years old. Can anyone help me or give me some suggestions on what I can do. We have just about completed the repairs and I would like to use it before the summer is gone.
KBREEDLOVERN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Bill of Sale??

Do you have proof that you bought the trailer form someone? Do you have a sales add? Was it bought from an established dealer (car dealer, pawn shop, used trailer dealer)? Did you remember to get the name of the guy you bought it from?

If you can prove you bought it and it was not stolen or reported stolen sometime in the past than a title is not that big a deal in the transaction process for most states. Show proof of ownership (bill of sale or receipt) and apply for a title when you get the tag. That's basicly what I did and there was no issue at all at the DMV.

Good Luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #3

1963 22' Safari
BLACKSBURG , South Carolina
tag

I bought it form a guy that sells campers, ect from his front yard. I don't think he has a "business". I think he buys them and then resales, making a little profit fro himself. I have a bill of sale from him, but nothing else. In the state of SC you have to have a title before you can tag it. That is my whole problem. Without a title, I can't tag it or put it on the road. I'm about to get fustrated because it is looking so good and I have put money and time into fixing it up
KBREEDLOVERN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
There has to be some kind of loop hole people loose titles everyday. Do you have your vin number on the side you can use also. I would think with your bill of sale and the serial #/vin# there would be some way.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The state is gonna make you jump through a few hoops to get a title. As Clancyboy said, you need to satisfy the state that it isn't stolen.

And quite honestly, when you buy from a guy at the curb, you have very little idea if it was stolen or not. He might not know either. Not to say there aren't "businesses" that could do the same thing.

It's too late, now, but you shouldn't put a lot of time or effort into fixing it up until you have title to it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
KB, we're new to South Carolina in the past ...4 years. I thought that SC made it manditory that trailers shouldn't have tags, lights, fenders??!!! Every trailer I see in SC runs no tag, no lights... mind you I see a lot of 30-50 thousand dollar automobiles on the road everyday that obviously don't have turn signals either so don't get me started.
RichardT had a route for aquiring title. Drop him an email and perhaps he'll share his knowledge. Or he may even chime in... on this thread.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/ or http://www.its-titles.com/
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote