Old 06-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I haven't even checked on my codes. My back yard is inaccessible because of the grade. I have a cargo trailer tucked up behind a couple red tips on one side of the house and the Caravanner sitting on the drive. I also have 2 trucks and a Honda on the drive.

Thankfully no HOA in my neighborhood and I'm on good terms with my most of my neighbors. Actually most of them I'm on great terms. The lady accross the street let me park the Airstream and the tow rig in her drive for a solid week while I had some trees removed and a roof installed. Rental on one side so no problems and neighbor on the otherside is a sweetheart and I help her out regularly.
The ones I'm not on good terms with I have plenty of stuff that I can hold over their heads and they know it. They are smart enough not to mess around.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:06 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

I had really hoped for a more upbeat conclusion. If this ordinance goes through here, I'll have to pay storage for two trailers year round, and unless I can find a farmer close by, I'm going to have to travel a bit. I couldn't ask relatives for help, because they all live on small lots and this ordinance would be town wide. I know there will be a public hearing on this and I guess I'll have to go one recuiting spree and get a lot of people to be vocal with my point of view.

My guess is that it will be a lot easier to keep the law from being passed that it will to change or repeal it later.

Thanx.........

sjptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #59

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
If you belong to Good Sam they have a packet available that details how to fight parking restriction proposals. Its been used by lots of folks successfully to beat back the regulators.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:03 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Jack!

Im off to their site to see what help they maybe able to offer!

I understand the ordinance, I cant stomach the selective
enforcement.

What a bunch of dippty do! (Not the word I wanted to use)

Dave
Old 06-27-2003, 11:09 AM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Thanks Jack!

Quote:
Originally posted by airstreamcaravel
Im off to their site to see what help they maybe able to offer!

Dave
Just an FYI, that information may only be available to members.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #62
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It all in the neighbors I suppose. My parents in the same town caught hell for the trailer. Me, my neighbors are pretty cool and we all get along. So far I have been fortunate and not had any issues with the village, but I fear that one day........

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
HOA = Neighbors

I like others live a pretty restrictive area with an active HOA. I really did sweat it for awhile as we had the Bambi in the drive for over a month doing the makeover. As our garage sits to the back, our little Bambi was almost hidden, but I was afraid someone would say something. Not a single word or threat. This spring I was visiting with our neighbor who is the president of our HOA (we have a strange arrangement in that we have an HOA that is a member of a larger HOA), anyway, she indicated that the larger HOA compliance monitor had contacted her while our Bambi was parked in the drive wanting to know if she knew anything about it (the compliance monitor drives around periodically looking for issues as well as noting outstanding home landscaping). There was not a compliant, she just noticed it sitting there on more than one driveby. Thank goodness we are good friends with our neighbors (have house keys, security codes, etc). When asked about our A/S, she simply replied that we were working on it and that we did have offsite parking for longer term parking (which was true). I think that common sense should have a impact on such issues and in our case, common sense did apparently prevail. There are times that I wish the A/S was closer (about 15miles away), but then it is at an enclosed, secure facility and the owners of the facility live on premise, so I do know it is safe (lots of diesel pushers and other A/S at same facility...the owners have spent a small fortune building the enclosures, lighting, etc, but when I do the math, they have a nice $100K+/yr income off the facility and other than electricity, pretty low overhead).
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #64
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Rules

Stan,

It really comes down to the written rules, usually called CC&R's Covenants Codes and Restrictions. If you pay a HOA fee there will be a seperate document that you need to read regarding parking* an RV at your home. If you do not pay a HOA fee and there is no HOA, then the restrictions fall back to the city. You can get that document directly from the city or in my case I get a preliminary title report from an escrow company. (I'm in the home loan business) Then read that document.

From there, it is a matter of what you can get away with, cause the rules are written. (Except in rural/county areas) Deviate from the rules and you are taking a shot that no one will object. So if the rules do not specify parking restrictions, (And you should know if they do or do not before you bring home your RV) your neighbors can not object.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

* The CC&R's can and do restrict other activities, such as flag placement, mining, raising of livestock, color of exterior of home and roof, retail business usage, and who knows what else.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Normally, here on the river, we never had issues. Lots of people winter their boats in the front yard. Only a few RV's, and they've never come under attack before. There is no HOA, nor was there one when I bought. I've lived on the river since '79.

It is only becoming an issue now, and is going to be brought up in a town meeting. Fliers have been posted by the opposition claiming that the boats and trailers are eyesore. This has all been started by those who have moved here recently, demolished a small cottage, and built a luxury home in its place.

Unlike dtbw, there currently are no restrictions. It is what they are going to try to do. I know my neighbors, have keys to their homes, and they have mine. When I have a party, I always invite the neighbors even if it is a familiy function. They can come or not. It is the same when they have a party. Everyone in the nearby neighborhood is invited. It negates a lot of problems.

Only the new folk have a problem with the boats. I hope I made it clear enough to understand.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:03 PM   #66
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Stan,

You have made yourself quite clear!

If you bought your home with no HOA then there are no restrictions for you. If restrictions come about after, then future buyers of your property would be restricted if an HOA is established. Not you.

However, unless you agree to changes or are compensated for changes .... no changes can be made. And if changes are forced upon you I would consult a real estate attorney. You would have an easy case to defend. You bought under one set of circumstances and now they have changed the rules for your home. We declared independence from a king on July 4th, you may have to do the same.

My defination of an HOA = another form of government with no experience. And I am having issues with the one that has experience, spending way too much of my $. Don't get me started on that one, I might pop a rivet.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-27-2003, 06:18 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

"Don't get me started on that one, I may pop a rivet."

When I was young and not all that bright, I became a member of "Uncle Sam's Misguided Children". I thought I was doing the right thing. Now the GOVERNMENT tells me I have to wear a seat belt. I have to have a license to use my boat(some states). I have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle(some states). I swear, they are going to try to make me wear a helmet in the batchroom, since it is statistically the most dangerous room in the house and the majority of those injuries are head injuries.

I'll tell ya, don't get me started on that one, I may pop a rivet!

BTW, I gave up my independence on July 4th. That's my wedding anniversary!!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:30 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Here in my corner of the world, generally someone with nothing else to do has to complain or the codes are not enforced.

I was notified to move out of my wide driveway and as I live on a corner lot in the flatlands, it wasn't so bad for me to comply rather than fight it. The code here is that boats , trailers, etc have to be behind the portion of the house closest to the the road.

My neighbor couldn't get his boat in his back yard by the side of his house, so as we talked I agreed that whatever it was he did wouldn't bother me. Now his boat is parked parallel to the front all the way across his yard, but because it is behind the edge of his ranch style house it is legal. So if you see a big boat blocking a house in a subdivision you are near my house, stop in for coffee!

These selective ordinances are a joke, but as another old long hair type now I only shake my balding head....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

zduke4x....

Its always been like that here. UNTIL all the newcomers come in. They are the ones that want to change things. They can afford the indoor, climate controlled, heated and airconditioned storage areas with the bright lites, security 24/7 and the 8' chain link fence with man barrier on top. My whole point is, that as of right now, there is no ordinance concerning where I park an RV, boat, or whatever. The new guys want to change all that.

I can't wait to see what happens on the 4th of July, when my wifes cousin comes to visit for the weekend with their 35' Winny MH! I told them I'll give them water and electricity for the weekend, no problem.

Sometimes I wish I went to Montana or the Dakotas. I could be a hermit, no problem, if it wasn't for my family. I'd miss Mom, brother and sister, 2 daughters, 2 sons, their spouses and 5 grandchildren. Guess we can't have our cake and eat it, too.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I agree, it's always the "new" folk in a neighborhood that cause all the problems.

When we built our farm market 10 years ago, the "new" neighbors complained to zoning about our dumpster. The zoning inspector informed them that there are no regulations in the township reguarding dumpster placement.

Living in a township, in Ohio is nice. We can do just about anything we want to, within reason, except no junk cars. Every motor vehicle has to have valid plates on it.

I can and do park my Airstream at home, across the street in front of the farm market, on the side of the farm market, next to my house, in front of my house, and nobody can say a damn thing about it, because they all do the same thing too.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote