Old 10-14-2002, 09:51 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
silver?

the silver ones are made for snow, never had one so i don't know if they are any good. have seen a couple at farms around madison that are left out year round. seem to hold up.

john

Old 10-28-2002, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Test

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:25 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Raising the roof might not set you back as much $$ as you expect -- it all depends upon how good your contractor is, and how he approaches the problem.

Here's a photo from a guy I did a story on a few months ago. The roof section is hydraulically operated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raiseroof picture.jpg
Views:	1435
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	741  
Old 10-29-2002, 04:59 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
The thing that sticks in my craw is that within a 4 block radius, there are at least 5 other blatent violations. I am very tempted
to take photo's and addresses of any and all that I see and report them.
I know you are upset, but why would you want to screw someone else like you? He had nothing to do with you getting turned in. Maybe you got turned in by some upset RV'r.
It think I would be more understanding of some other fellow down the street, and not wanting to put him in the situation you are in. The city is not going to give a crap who you turn in, it is just more potential $$$ for them.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:54 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

The rest of the story?

About 1.5 weeks ago I found out the rest of the story.

An owner of a large "bus" or something of that nature, was taken to court for his repeated violation of the code. He, of course lost.

This gentleman proceded to drive around the village and document and report no less than 55 vilolations, including mine.

Story has it he then spent 8 hours at the village hall filing complaints agaisnt each and everyone.

I have now had 2 carpenters look at my garage ... another in half an hour. So far NO one will raise the exsisting ... too big a job..
build on a third port? 14K. Id now leaning towards whacking a few Liacs puting in a gate where there is now fence. And parking
it in an approved area of my yard. .... Maybe some leveling ... and whacking of limbs ....... stuff like that ......

and the story will continue.

Thanks!

DMC
Old 11-01-2002, 07:42 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

A solution is at hand

The update. I will be whacking 3, 40 year old Liacs and putting in a 10 foot gate. This will allow access to an "Approved" area in my yard.

Yesterday I got another letter from my dear village. They state that my 67 Airstream doesn't have a "village motor vehicle sticker" ... Funny, I thought I had a camper-travel trailer, NOT a motor vehicle. Looks like another battle is brewing!

Any one else been require to get village/city/township MOTOR
Vehicle stickers for their CAMPER?

This is getting as difficult as owning a POT BELLY PIG in city limits!

(no I dont own a pig)

HELP AGAIN!!!

DMC
Old 11-01-2002, 08:05 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

I was raised in Park Ridge, IL. You had to have a city sticker on motor vehicles. Now that I am in Phoenix, there is no such thing as a city sticker. Put give them time. I am sure once they realize there is another way to make some money they will adopt a sticker program.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:11 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Motor Vehicle?

BUT IT AIN"T A MOTOR VEHICLE!

NO MOTOR ... at all. Never had one ... never will!

THE CODE SAYS MOTOR VEHICLE.. MY CAMPER ... is NOT a motor
vehicle.

They are starting to really tick me off!!

DMC
Old 11-01-2002, 08:12 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I dont think I was claiming it was a motor vehicle in my post? I was just rambling. lol
Old 11-01-2002, 08:17 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

NO offense taken or implied

You are not the only "rambler" here .... I think I as just practicing
for when I get face to face the village idiots! I appreciate your thoughts and feedback!

Still so mad I'm seeing SILVER!

THANKS!

DMC
Old 11-01-2002, 08:36 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Move!

Thank God, I don't have to deal with this kind of crap. I live in a township, in Ohio, and they cannot legislate stuff like this. BUT, there are developments with covenants and deed restrictions. Fortunatly, I do not live in a development. One thing to remember, in Ohio these restrictions have to be RENEWED every 10 years! Most are not renewed and are thus invalid.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 04:22 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Can't fight city hall

DMC,

I haved owned a boat with trailer since 1986. I have owned 3 homes since then. None of my homes have an RV restriction like you have discussed. My current home is in the city limits of Phoenix and was built in 1950. The restriction is that the RV be less than 35' and parked on a dust proof surface. The parking area is to be less than 40% of the front area of the home. Parking on the side of the home, or in the back is unrestricted.

That is a city ordinance. In communities that have developed in the last 10 to 15 years a HOA has been put in place to further restrict those communities. The benefit is in resale value. NOT ALL SUBDIVISIONS HAVE A HOA. In fact there is a small subdivision here built around a small man made lake. The purpose of the HOA is to take care of the lake. The purpose of the lake is expressly for water skiing! No sail boats and no fishing! Only skiing. And of course there are over 400 golf courses in the Phoenix area. Most of the courses have subdivisions built around them. With the relevant CC&R's and HOA's.

Bottom line.......look before you buy. Or you have to get the neighborhood (HOA, subdivision, or city) together and vote out the restriction.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

My situation

I have lived in this village for over 9 years. It is in fact one of the older sections of town so there are no HOA's involved.

Just a bunch of politicians that are competing with the neighboring villages for the snobbiness award.

There should be laws against this kinda CR-P!

DMC
Old 11-02-2002, 11:40 AM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Maybe you can fight city hall

DMC,

It sounds like there are at least 50 others in the same situation as you. Would there be enough to change the law/rule? The term "village" does not sound like a lot of people to me. And maybe a comprimise could be achieved between the existing rules and the desired result.

Now if you want to move to change the rules, remember all of the other RV's out there. Yes an Airstream does have beauty. However in someone else' eyes a SOB is just as beautifull. Including the guy with the bus. And a quasigovernment entity will not be able to discriminate based on brand. However I have seen rules based on location on the property, state of repair, age and size. Lastly existing rules are slow to change. However with enough support it can be done.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action