Old 01-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitake View Post
Make it a custom trailer and have new tags made along with the title. We do this all the time when we build trailers. Just rivet a new tag over the old frame number.
My thought also.. there are re-manufactured trailers and motor home on the road today that were junk just a short time ago.. bought a top for a E250 years ago, went to the factory, junk vans of all makes in one side.. beautiful Van-Campers out the other with zero odometers and new VINs...

TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Simple answer. I googled cert of destruction in florida. It is issued for a water damaged vehicle. Cannot be titled or registered in florida. Can be exported or parted out. Do not know how Ga will handle it.. Also a dealer has to notify the buyer of this. Not the same as a salvage title a cert of des means the vehicle must be destroyed. Hope i am wrong on this.

xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Here ya go......

http://www.ebay.com/gds/TITLES-FOR-A...2179624/g.html

There is always a way to get it done so you're not stuck in the mud, this is only one.
mayco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Here ya go......

http://www.ebay.com/gds/TITLES-FOR-A...2179624/g.html

There is always a way to get it done so you're not stuck in the mud, this is only one.
I think in this case it was filed in florida. The state may have it on record.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Try "international title service' a few years ago it cost me $350. Took about 10 days
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #20
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
In NC a "certificate of destruction" means just that, must be destroyed, cannot be titled. I have bought a few over the years and never had any luck getting them titled ever again. We have Salvage titles but this is one step past that, the vehicle is considered 'junk'.

FWIW - VA has certs of destruction as well - I bought a corvette that hit a deer and only needed a windshield - no idea why it must be destroyed.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Go through Staab Agency to have it registered in Maine. You don't need to be a resident, and you can do it through the mail. They'll send you a Maine registration and plate which you can then use to register the trailer in your state. All they need is a notarized bill of sale, which would presumably not mention the Certificate of Destruction. I did this twice with old trailers I purchased in NYS that had no paperwork. In both cases I was able to use the Maine registration to import the trailer to Canada and register it here.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
1977 Argosy 28
1985 34' Limited
Tate , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Go through Staab Agency to have it registered in Maine. You don't need to be a resident, and you can do it through the mail. They'll send you a Maine registration and plate which you can then use to register the trailer in your state. All they need is a notarized bill of sale, which would presumably not mention the Certificate of Destruction. I did this twice with old trailers I purchased in NYS that had no paperwork. In both cases I was able to use the Maine registration to import the trailer to Canada and register it here.

Thanks!!
RoamingHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #23
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I'd be curious to see if this works, a friend tried this once and the title came back in NC as "certificate of destruction", apparently all title data is shared between states.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
cool !

[QUOTE=RoamingHappy;2059511]Asking for help or advice from people with experience.

I messed up. I bought a 1989 25' Excella from wholesale auction.
Its in great shape! Nothing wrong with it!!

But it has a Certificate of Destruction from Florida. Cant understand why the insurance company did that.

No flood damage.
No collision damage.
No bio-hazard.
Just a couple of very minor scratches and the clear coat is faded on top.

But, now Im stuck. I live in Georgia. In Georgia, I cant get it registered.
  • Georgia: Anything newer than 1985 must be titled
  • Georgia: having it inspected won't help.

Where can I get a similar frame to transfer the body?

What can I do? I'd like to keep it and use it. " Quote]

Cool deal. I like small fixer uppers. I lose focus quick, so small jobs are best : )
I like the looks of your new to you trailer
Good luck !