Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Stolen VIN's

I have heard about car VIN's being stolen. Anyone ever hear about that with trailers? I cover the VIN on my truck windshield with a piece of cardboard.
Resorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think it's a good idea. There is a case in New York where a guy was pulled over by the police for some traffic infraction. His car's VIN number was hidden by a piece of paper.

One of the officers reached into the car to move the piece of paper, and while doing so discovered the drivers handgun.

This case went to the U.S. Supreme Court, and the arrest was upheld in an opinion written by Justice O'Connor.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I did it because my dealer said it wouldnt be a bad idea with all the thefts going on for current year diesel trucks. Hmmm
Old 07-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you check Snopes, I think there was only one case years ago where a theft ring used this method. Basically, it takes too long, requires a trip to the dealer for the keys, and usually requires proof of ownership to get duplicate keys.

Most car theives don't have the patience to use this method.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
I heard that they were selling the VIN to people in other states and making fake Titles and vin plates. Then they took a stolen vehicle of same year and color, Applied the new Vin and sold it to someone unsuspecting. My truck is getting older anyhow..... maybe I should remove it. I dont need a hassle if I get stopped. I was just wondering about Airstreams. Once someone has sold it, they have their $ and their gone.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i believe it is illegal to cover the windshield vin in NY.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
A co-worker had it happen on a H1 he bought new. A stolen one had previously been titled in another state using the VIN that was swiped while his unit was still on the dealers lot. The other unit made it through the system because the new unit sat for a while before selling. He ended up taking the dealer to court for the inability to provide a clear title!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
i believe it is illegal to cover the windshield vin in NY.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe NY puts the VIN on the little inspection sticker that is in the center of the windshield. We have a branch office in Elmira and I thought I noticed this on one of their trucks the last time it was down this way...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
In most states, it is illegal to have the VIN covered while driving the vehicle. If you feel it is worth the trouble, you can cover the VIN with a piece of cardboard while parked. The other alternative is to have the VIN engraved on every piece of the car. You will see this on many GM cars, on a small tag on fenders, windows, etc, from the factory.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe NY puts the VIN on the little inspection sticker that is in the center of the windshield. We have a branch office in Elmira and I thought I noticed this on one of their trucks the last time it was down this way...

Aaron
"

the vin is only on the registration sticker. as there are so many 'home made' stickers around, cops are supposed to check, i know the traffic control agents in nyc are most likely to do it when writing tickets.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote