Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
True enough... now if there was no way to tell that the trailer was the SAME trailer that was duly noted...;-)
I figured it was a sleazy trick that used car salesmen would use, but at least it could be used for good in this case...

Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
I've heard of "good" trailers being sold to salvage yards as scrap. The salvage yard then sells it with salvage title even if the trailer has never been damaged or deemed a total loss buy an insurance company.

Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
My motorhome has a salvage title. The man we purchased it from was a mobile home dealer and owned a used carlot. He was very up front about the salvage title.He said that we couldnt get financing on a salvage title. I can hear a banker laughing at asking for a loan on a 83 motorhome. It was in good condition except hail dimples on top front and rear curved roof area.The center part of the roof had been replaced. It has been a great and we have made several long trips in it. I have it insured so I guess it depends on the state you live in about insurance. We were able to examine and drive it before purchase. I would probably not buy salvage title item without someone I trusted doing a on site inspection Good luck in your search for your Airstream. I am very happy with my salvage title unit

carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Originally Posted by Mary Burris View Post
Looking at an Airstream that the seller says has a salvage title. Seller says it was a salvage title when he bought it but he was able to register and get a tag for it. Should I beware? His ad to sell it does not show the back of the trailer or one side.
Thank you,
Mary Claire
Mary Claire, Do you have the ability to go inspect the trailer and title? If so check the trailer serial number plate. Also look on the A frame for a stamped imprint of the serial number. Make sure they match what is printed on the title. If trailer is damaged or has been flooded it is hard to justify spending your money to try to make it better. Always will be a salvaged trailer even if somehow you have the title changed. My most pressing questions would be:

1.) Why was it salvaged?

2.) If damaged was damage properly repaired?

3.) Was the trailer stolen?

4.) If trailer is complete will the seller allow a pre-purchase Airstream dealer inspection or at the least an inspection by an Airforums Inspector?

And last;
5.) Why was current owner unable to register and license the trailer in the state where it is today?

Very suspicious that they were not able to get this done. For you to obtain any possibility of putting the title and registration in your name the current owner of the trailer must have it titled in their name first at their expense. This must happen before selling it to you or anyone else. State DMV offices all require this step to show proper change of ownership. If this cannot or will not be acceptable to the seller then RUN and keep on looking. Ed
1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Try explaining it's salvage title to new buyer when you want to sell it

It's going to be tough road. Only vehicle I personally even considered was jeep wrangler flood damage with 400 miles. I knew the value of doors,tops,hood,axles if I need to part it. They are easy to fix and parts selection huge. There is dealer in UT selling salvage vehicles really all they deal with. Suckers come along and pay low book thinking they got good deal. Reality salvage title fixed perfect is only worth half book value. Salvage is certainly a risk maybe better off paying more mulla for clear title unit. Also you did not state year of trailer if its 2012 with hail damage it would still be solid unit.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
Huntsville , Ontario
Smile Salvage Parts Required??!!

Just wanted to add to your stream that if you don't end up buying that salvage trailer, let me know because I need a "parts" trailer for a 56-58 Sovereign of the Road! Best of luck...
CindyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
Pursuit of Happiness
2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
Everyone gives "expert" advice.....

I own a salvaged 2007 Airstream 25ft Safari LS SE. I got a great deal on the camper and other than some elbow grease cleaning, and some $$$$ to get everything fixed, the camper has been great.

Now before this one, I had a 2008 Bambi that was wrecked, that was a little too much for me to take on....but we live and learn and I was able to quickly sell the camper when I realized I lacked the skill and $$$$$ to fix her up.

My camper is fully insured and I havent had any issues at all, in fact I have spent the more money on my camper now-buying Solar Panels and making it perfect for me.

So don't be scared away by all these comments, about "you can't insure it" or all the scare tactics the nay sayers like to post.

If the camper is within your price range and you don't mind working on a projects or some flaws....then take a leap of faith.

Obviously, if you cant tell the difference between a wrench and plyers, then a project is not for you...but if your handy then I m all for it.

I have a lot of toys ( boats, cars, motorcycles, campers, and even a plane) and the majority are Salvaged Titled.....

to each is their wallet just likes the price of projects better
Projects*&*Adventures********************** - Home

mgm is offline   Reply With Quote