Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
More details please. With all due respect, how do you convince a police officer to do something he doesn't want to do (i.e., come to your house to take a stolen vehicle report)? And then, what do you do when he arrives to find the vehicle was NOT really stolen and, in fact, is sitting right there in your yard?
You need to show the documentation from the DMV showing the scrapyard now has title to the trailer, and the date it was supposedly acquired by them, as well as your title and registration from the past several years, and insurance papers, if you have any.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
So the other issue here is did the wrecking yard have a trailer they resold with a new serial number plate with your numbers on it? This could be a larger problem than you realize. If so, where did they get the trailer to start with? It definitely needs to be researched by the police as these guys may be doing something highly illegal (or not) but you never know. If your trailer gets stolen right now you don't even own it as far as DMV is concerned....

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out for you. Please keep us posted, and good luck.
Barry

Old 10-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #17
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Or it could have been something as simple as being a digit off on the VIN on the salvaged trailer that no one caught. There may be nothing criminal in this at all; it may just be a clerical error. California DMV has a fraud detail as do the CHP. Once the VIN is verified on YOUR trailer, and YOUR title and registration are sorted out, someone will eventually track down the OTHER trailer and figure out what the deal is. If it was a VIN switch, then the trailer will be seized and the crooks prosecuted (if, of course, they can figure out who really did the VIN switch and who was an innocent buyer).

BTW, if it WAS a VIN switch, the innocent buyer will be out the cash; the State grabs the trailer; and the only recourse the buyer has is to sue the original crook!

Roger
Old 11-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
More details please. With all due respect, how do you convince a police officer to do something he doesn't want to do (i.e., come to your house to take a stolen vehicle report)? And then, what do you do when he arrives to find the vehicle was NOT really stolen and, in fact, is sitting right there in your yard?
Hi, I wouldn't do that; It might be considered the same as a false report. Be more creative. I went to DMV when I first brought my trailer home from Oregon. DMV wanted me to bring my trailer to them for VIN verification. I had a hard time trying to find a place to park my 17' Navigator there yet alone another 26' for the trailer. But I was forced to make an appointment anyway. Before my appointment date, there was an accident down the street from my house. I went down there to see what was going on and if I could help in any way. After everything was over I asked the Lakewood Sheriff, while he was here, if he could do a VIN verification for me. He was more than happy to do it and was fasinated about seeing a new Airstream. ["Didn't know they still made those."]

Bob

I just got an idea. Take one or more wheels off of your trailer. Call and ask if someone could come out to your house for a VIN verification for DMV because the trailer cannot be moved.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Salvage Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I wouldn't do that; It might be considered the same as a false report. Be more creative. I went to DMV when I first brought my trailer home from Oregon. DMV wanted me to bring my trailer to them for VIN verification. I had a hard time trying to find a place to park my 17' Navigator there yet alone another 26' for the trailer.
We just tried to register our trailer from out of state and first of all our local DMV (Culver City) couldn't figure out what to call it. The clerk could only find "Coach trailer "or "park trailer." I told them it wasn't either of those but in order to get the computer to accept it, they put in "park trailer." I paid fees and then was told to have the trailer weighed and inspected. Since our trailer is stored 50 miles from our home, we went to the DMV in Thousand Oaks and the inspector was so taken with our Airstream, he verified it right away and knew that it is a "camping trailer". I went back to the original DMV to complete the paperwork and it took 3 more clerks to get the computer to accept it--the computer wouldn't take the weight so maybe we didn't even have to have it weighed. Then I had to pay more money to have a camping trailer than a park trailer. Who knows? It seemed as though no one had ever registered a travel trailer in Culver City, CA before....can that be? Anyway, we are now legal.

It is a good point about not putting the VIN on our profile.....good luck with getting your trailer out of salvage land....keep us posted on your progress.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Silver, If you are near a Courthouse they have vehicle inspection deputies.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
SANTA BARBARA , California
Thanks everyone,

A state certified verifier is coming to sort out the Vin/ plate # issue, and then I go back to the DMV. It doesn't appear that the plate with the Vin has been modified at all, so I am hoping that this was the result of a typo. I got new license plate when I registered it in 04.

However, the PO lives in this county where the salvage yard is, and he was a bit strange. Maybe he kept the old plate? I hope to find out.

I know what you mean about the DMV, it is a crap shoot down there, depending on who you talk to, the results can be very different.

Bottom line, I really hope that the DMV will erase this mess from their records because how do I explain this to someone if I want to sell it?

Wish me luck!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
We just tried to register our trailer from out of state and first of all our local DMV (Culver City) couldn't figure out what to call it. The clerk could only find "Coach trailer "or "park trailer." I told them it wasn't either of those but in order to get the computer to accept it, they put in "park trailer." I paid fees and then was told to have the trailer weighed and inspected. Since our trailer is stored 50 miles from our home, we went to the DMV in Thousand Oaks and the inspector was so taken with our Airstream, he verified it right away and knew that it is a "camping trailer". I went back to the original DMV to complete the paperwork and it took 3 more clerks to get the computer to accept it--the computer wouldn't take the weight so maybe we didn't even have to have it weighed. Then I had to pay more money to have a camping trailer than a park trailer. Who knows? It seemed as though no one had ever registered a travel trailer in Culver City, CA before....can that be? Anyway, we are now legal.

Hi, My DMV did the same thing. [Bellflower, Ca.]Took three people to get it right. My certificate of origin had the weigh on it, but they still kept asking how much it weighed and how many axles it had. I asked the same question: Have you ever done a travel trailer before? And I had pictures so they could count the axles. Actually when they deleted the number of axles and the weight, their computor finally accepted it. The weight and axles was for commercial trailer use. I also believe their computor called my trailer a Coach. Forest Gump was right; "Stupid is as stupid does". For all this hassle, I glad I didn't have to pay Ca. sales tax.

Bob
Old 11-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
When I went to register my trailer at the CA DMV I got a major run-around. They wanted me to pay $$$$$ for years of back registration- PO didn't have a title. The trailer was not found in the computer, so I'm told they CAN'T charge back reg. I paid to get a new title and reg. and left. Weeks later I get another bill for back registration... long story short- I fought it and repeated what the lady said- and they finally went away. Then I got another notice in the mail the other day, I couldn't believe they wanted more money- then I noticed: IT'S ALREADY BEEN A YEAR????

Good Luck Silversurfer!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Salvage Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
For all this hassle, I glad I didn't have to pay Ca. sales tax.

Bob
How did you get out of paying Ca. Sales tax? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Calif DMV motto

Welcome to Calif DMV. Our Motto:
"We Know what we are and we don't like it any more than you do".

I tried 6 times at CA DMV to get mine titled from Illinois. Paid the $$, Paid the taxes, paid more $$, inspected by them twice, VIN verified by DMV and friendly county sheriff. Six months later finally got new shiny CA plates. No registration. 3 weeks later got notice they wanted their plates back and more $$.

Moved to Alaska. Drug the Airstream. Walked into Alaska DMV, 3 people in line, told very friendly clerk I wanted to title and register trailer from Illinois. "That will be $13 for 2 years, please, here's your new plates."

In and out with a smile in 15 minutes.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Salvage Scam

Unfortunately Alaska is too far away from our grandchildren. So I guess we are stuck with the Ca. DMV. They are another reason to buy a "Vintage" trailer--the sales tax is not quite the same hit as with a new one.

Where do you tow your Airstream in Alaska? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
How did you get out of paying Ca. Sales tax? pj
Hi, I bought my trailer in Oregon [no sales tax in Oregon]and at that time [September 2004] there was The California sales tax law; Which stated, Must stay out of California for 91 days or more, to not pay sales tax. About one month after we registered our trailer, they changed the California 91 day rule to the one year rule. I saved close to $4,000.00 by not having to pay sales tax, not to mention the great deal we got on the trailer and free belt line moulding, free brake controller installed, and free Equal-i-zer hitch, also installed.

Bob
Old 11-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #28
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
California DMV motto

We're not happy till you're not happy!