Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Vista , California
rookie registering in CA...

We are ready to register our '72 Safari that we just got from a great guy in Kansas.

We want to make sure we have our ducks in a row before visiting the DMV:
>we have signed title in hand, dated within 20 days of now
>trailer wasn't registered anywhere recently, according to AAA lookup
>we will fill out registration form and pay fees (incl. difference in sales tax %)
>we will get VIN inspected at DMV

My main questions are:
1) will DMV inspector also check lights/brakes/breakaway switch/etc? if so, we have some work to do...
2) will we run into trouble if trailer has no reg. history and we don't have a bill of sale? (private party sold it to us for cash)

I called the CA DMV 1-800 number to ask, and the rep was nice but did not seem familiar with trailers, saying "you'll be fine" with just the title in hand.

Any advice or tips from California folks would be much appreciated. Thanks!
goldilocks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In most states the title is what makes it all happen. Around here, all the inspections and certifications come *after* the new title and registration are actually in your hands. Yes, that seems a bit weird, but that's how they do it out here.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
For our title change from Washington state to CA it was signed title from original owner, bill of sale form showing it was a gift from our son, and a VIN verification I could have gotten free from the DMV office had it been possible to get the AS there.

Plus the usual CA fees, taxes, and usual $$$ they like to charge...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Vista , California
Update to this string: registration went so smoothly that it was almost unbelievable. I had braced myself for loads of bureaucracy but encountered none. The vehicle inspector didn't even check the lights or hitch or brakes... No one asked for prior registration. Whew. Word to the wise: make a DMV reservation online at least two days ahead. I skipped the two-hour line with a few clicks on the DMV website.
goldilocks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #5

Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Hello, Looking to join the club and buy our first AS - 16 sport.

Trying to decide between brand new and used, but part of the decision is understanding what I will expect to pay in taxes under a private sale vs new from a dealer. I am also in state of CA. Should I expect to pay roughly 10% either way, or are there fee incentives with buying private party?

Appreciate the help.
NationAir is offline   Reply With Quote