Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Port Saint Lucie , Florida
Resident of FL purchasing AS in CA

Hi forum, I’m in process of purchasing 2015 intl serenity in CA and currently traveling there in my 2005 Safari. I’ve researched a bit about registration, title, etc. Really don’t want to register in CA, sales tax is 8% there. Not trying to elude paying tax, just want to register in state that is least expensive. I’m full-time since June, not sure when I’ll get back to FL. I read that if I take delivery outside of CA, I’ll avoid their registration issues. Pay sales tax in state it’s registered? Seller is willing to deliver to Reno. Anyone out there have advice. Much appreciated
aemers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
You should register it in whatever state you have legal residence. If that is Florida then register it in Florida and pay Florida it's 6%, plus whatever.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
There are three states where you don't pay personal property tax on a trailer: Florida, South Dakota and Texas. Consider it.

We meet a lot of folks with Texas license plates who are Escapees (Livingston, TX). One purchased his TV and TT in Texas and had not been back in 12 years. He registers his TV and TT online each year. If he goes back to TX, he has 3 days to get vehicle inspections in his home county.

Can't you just take the CA title and bill of sale with you? I did when I bought a boat and trailer in WA. Cost $20+ to title out of state trailer here.

There should be something similar in FL and SD.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We bought our trailer in another state and did not pay sales tax to the state we purchased in. We did pay the tax on it when we registered it in our home state. You should be able to get a temporary registration in California which may be good for a couple of months. Suggestion may be to see if an RV dealership (Camping World??) can do it or get one from the Cal DMV. Better yet, if the current license plate is valid and you have the paperwork showing the completed transaction, Im not sure there would be any problem getting it back to Florida.
I would defiantly check with Cal DMV to make sure what kind of fees may be involved. If youre having the trailer inspected by a dealership, Im sure they have the answers.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You may have to take the trailer to the state where you register it to verify that it is the trailer on the bill of sale. Florida law says this, but when I went to register (I took the trailer) they just had me sign a VIN Verification affadavit.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote