Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Grand Prairie , Texas
Registering my Airstream in a new state

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I went into transfer the title on my trailer and was told it had to be inspected (who inspects trailers and what do they inspect?) and I had to have proof of insurance (who I'll the insurance company insure the trailer before it is registered in my name?).
txlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Your local DMV should be able to answer your questions as they apply to Texas.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlogic View Post
I apologize if this has been covered before, but I went into transfer the title on my trailer and was told it had to be inspected (who inspects trailers and what do they inspect?) and I had to have proof of insurance (who I'll the insurance company insure the trailer before it is registered in my name?).
Having a trailer inspected was new to me also (NY), but the same garages that inspect cars also do trailers apparently (brakes, lights, etc.). If you have your VIN for the trailer and a contract of sale, and/or title, you can obtain insurance and the appropriate cert. of insurance ID card for your state, even before it is registered in your name. I did this recently when I went to another state to pick up our new FC20.

Getting insurance ASAP early in the purchase of a new trailer makes sense, as it protects the buyer before he or she takes possession, even if the seller/dealer ALSO has insurance. No harm in overlapping policies in case of unexpected events (fire, theft, accidental damage not cause by the buyer, and so forth). This spreads the risk out better than waiting to get insurance later IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Trailers in Texas are usually covered by your "tow vehicle".
Most any "inspection station" will provide your "inspection certificate".
With those 2 items, "inspection certificate" and "proof of insurance", along with your "payment" For taxes, etc.. You should be golden!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Two things come to mind: if the AS was purchased in another state, I suspect that the "inspection" has to do with verifying that the VIN matches the paperwork and that the proof of insurance also has the same VIN. Just went through this in Colorado with an Avion purchased in Oregon. No big deal.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Two things come to mind: if the AS was purchased in another state, I suspect that the "inspection" has to do with verifying that the VIN matches the paperwork and that the proof of insurance also has the same VIN. Just went through this in Colorado with an Avion purchased in Oregon. No big deal.
The State of Texas requires vehicles— and I believe trailers as well— to have an inspection by a State-licensed inspection station before it is registered, no grace period. The inspection for a trailer would presumably cover lights, brakes, and other required equipment to verify that it is all present and in good working order.

At least in states like Louisiana you have to get the contraption registered first, and only after you have a valid State license plate do you go to the inspection station to get the inspection sticker; you have a grace period after registration to get the inspection done.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlogic View Post
Any r.v. dealers can inspect. But you need proof of insurance first! Then you can register. They probably will want to see your title also. Bad to go Tru all that before i could register mine. Frustrating to say the least!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
I'm in Temple, TX. Just went through this with my '71 Sovereign purchased from a gentleman in Indiana. I got a temporary statement of coverage from my auto insurance company. Had it inspected at a local trailer supply company. They installed the required break away braking device ($50 installed). I had to have it weighed at a certified scale (any feed store, CAT scale, or recycling center can do this). Then I went to the local county tax assessor's office with the signed title and a bill of sale. Now I have a Texas title in my name and Texas plates.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The tow vehicle insurance often can cover the liability of the trailer when it is attached. The lawyers then have field day if the catch on the hitch fails and the trailer hits a bump and is no longer attached.....

The tow vehicle coverage usually does not cover damage to the trailer itself or the trailer contents. Liability coverage is all that extends to the trailer.

That is why folks have a separate policy on the trailer. With vintage trailers, one might need an appraisal to get the stated value type policy issued.

One needs a liability policy for when the trailer is just parked either in storage or a camp site in case an injury occurs to a person or place caused by a malfunction of an appliance inside the trailer or someone trips over the power cable going to the trailer.

From prior postings about the Texas BMV, they want to be sure you pay the taxes more than anything else. The tax stamp is required along with a vehicle inspection before the resgistration can even be renewed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
Classy Roscoe

How hard did the County hit you on the sales tax for the new to you AS? We bought new one in Washington state and our county demanded sales tax payment of 6.5% on the purchase price. 😳
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Back in the 60s when I was stationed in Rhode Island, they collected sales tax on the factory window sticker price of the new vehicle every time. They did not care about the haggled price or the difference price with a trade-in.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Trailer inspection now required in TX to get tags

As of 2015 all trailers in Texas with a gross weight over 5,000 lbs are required to be inspected before tags can be issued. If it has 2 axles it is assumed to be over that because most axles are at least 2,500 lb loading. This has been a requirement most RV and boat owners ignored so the state made it a requirement to get the tags renewed.

Most any RV or boat dealer can do it. My local corner mechanic did it. Typically they check the chassis VIN number, the lights, break away switch and check to see if the tow vehicle has a brake controller. My insurance card does not list the trailer but I took my insurance policy that does. The hardest part was getting in and out of his lot.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
I ended up paying about $125 for tax, title, and registration. The inspection was about $85 including the break-away device. $5 for the certified weight.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I have recently registered my trailer and tow vehicle in Montana in an LLC with a permanent licence (available for vehicles 11 + years old) for $800. Am very pleased with the service. Insurance was a bit of a challenge, but worked out well. Contact me for more information.
Devananda-E9 is offline   Reply With Quote