Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
A2F
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
Phew!!! Had me worried. A suggestion - if you want to paint the originals white, why not build copies using the originals as templates and paint them white? I know of only one other that is your vintage that still has original curtains. When your thinking about this, think that your messing with something akin in value to a 63 corvette split window coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I wish I had the space and tools for all that (not to mention experience and know how), but I wanted something solid to begin with so I wouldn't have to rebuild. I decided paying more upfront was a better option than picking up someone else's project and not knowing where to begin. So while I know it is disappointing for some that she will stray from the original, it is the best option for me to have the trailer I envision. But I don't plan to modify the interior layout or cabinets, just paint. Well and I would like to reupholster, but might just go over the original fabric or take it off and keep it. I would like to do things in a way that keeps the original in tact but still gives it the face lift I desire.
A2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If the shell is still firmly attached to the frame I would leave that trailer as much like it is as you can. Hopefully the PO kept on top of the leaks or kept it under cover in which case it should be sound. Just give the brakes, bearings and tires a going over and use the trailer for a while. You might find that it is great just the way it is or at least you will find out exactly what doesn't work for you. Now is where you will get any benefit from the quality that the original owner paid for. Ground fault circuit interrupters were invented by a trailer enthusiast just for this type of situation and fuses might come in handy as well but the wiring could be fine for many years to come. A lot of thought went into the layout of this trailer when it was made and it might be hard to really improve on it much if it is in as good of condition as the photos seem to show. A functional shower and toilet with black and grey water tanks might be all it ever needs if it doesn't already have this. Just my opinion of course but a lot of trailers are ruined by remodels. Save the rebuild for when you have a covered space to work on it where you live.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
A2F
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
If the shell is still firmly attached to the frame I would leave that trailer as much like it is as you can. Hopefully the PO kept on top of the leaks or kept it under cover in which case it should be sound. Just give the brakes, bearings and tires a going over and use the trailer for a while. You might find that it is great just the way it is or at least you will find out exactly what doesn't work for you. Now is where you will get any benefit from the quality that the original owner paid for. Ground fault circuit interrupters were invented by a trailer enthusiast just for this type of situation and fuses might come in handy as well but the wiring could be fine for many years to come. A lot of thought went into the layout of this trailer when it was made and it might be hard to really improve on it much if it is in as good of condition as the photos seem to show. A functional shower and toilet with black and grey water tanks might be all it ever needs if it doesn't already have this. Just my opinion of course but a lot of trailers are ruined by remodels. Save the rebuild for when you have a covered space to work on it where you live.
Well the floor by the door is rotted and a bit of the cabinet right there is warped. I don't think you can do anything about warped wood except replace it right? So I figure at a minimum the floors need to be replaced and because of the age the frame should be checked. And if we were replacing the floors, it would be a good time for that.
It does have a wet bath. I'm not sure what works and what doesn't as we haven't been able to hook it up yet. It looks like the outlet needs to be replaced first before we can do that. So I will have to look into that.

But it sounds like we might just fix that one thing and leave the floor and interior for later and use as is right now. Unless of course we find out nothing in the trailer works... then we might have to rethink that plan. haha
Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Here's a short thread on someone replacing just the plywood at the door:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...urs-25821.html

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Great looking trailer! Funny, I'm getting ready to strip white paint off the cabinetry in my '51 FC! Different strokes At the end of the day it's your trailer and you should do with it what you want.

Looking forward to following your upgrades!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #26
A2F
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
Great looking trailer! Funny, I'm getting ready to strip white paint off the cabinetry in my '51 FC! Different strokes At the end of the day it's your trailer and you should do with it what you want.

Looking forward to following your upgrades!
Oh you are in the area! Do you have a thread with pictures?? I was evaluating the trailer this last weekend and trying to figure out what is actually original and what isn't. I have some pics and figure I will start a new thread asking about them.

How long do you think you have on your reno project? Do you have to replace any seals in the windows? I think our plan is to only fix what is necessary at the moment and start using it. So unfortunately I will not get to give it the face lift I want for a while.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I do, although now that you mention it it needs of updating:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f73/...ud-111098.html

If the link doesn't work you can find it in the 1950-55 Flying Cloud section but be forewarned, I'm no expert and my practices should be referenced at your own risk I've been on ours for about two and a half years now, mainly because I'm single handing it and I enjoy admiring my own work with a beer for prolonged periods of time. My subfloor was in rough shape so I took it down to the frame. Also, no plumbing/bathroom so that all has/had to be added. If yours is usable I say enjoy it as is. You'll get a practical idea of what bells and whistles you'll want to add down the line.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
If you decide to go ahead with the white paint. You could do a couple of coats of new varnish first, making it far easier to strip off later.

Glad that you are coming around to enjoying the trailer for a while.
You will learn so much that will help when / if you do end up doing a restoration.
Plus may come to realize the scope of the challenge involved.

Nice trailer!

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I agree with the folks, get it useable then go camping. I highly suggest you attend some local rally's, looking at other trailers and getting feed back on yours probably WILL change your initial plans.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #30
A2F
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
If you decide to go ahead with the white paint. You could do a couple of coats of new varnish first, making it far easier to strip off later.

Glad that you are coming around to enjoying the trailer for a while.
You will learn so much that will help when / if you do end up doing a restoration.
Plus may come to realize the scope of the challenge involved.

Nice trailer!

Cheers Richard
Thanks Richard!

Good idea with the varnish. I knew it would be a lot of work, so I am leaning on my bf heavily for his expertise! I couldn't have taken the plunge without him on board because it is very overwhelming! Although I am quickly learning the pictures I have been drooling over might not be within my budget. haha! But either way, I will have one fun lil' trailer!

Tags