Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
newby questions

Hi. New member here. I am looking to buy a vintage trailer for use for a continuous period of three or four months each year. I would also be buying an appropriate tow vehicle. I live in a congested area where keeping a trailer (or even a tow vehicle for that matter) at my residence would be inconvenient to say the least. Right now, I don't even own a car. My plan is to put both trailer and tow vehicle into storage at whatever location I complete my annual use and commute back to my home (Massachusetts) until I'm ready for another several month period of trailer living. Here are my questions.

1. Am I qualified to register and insure this equipment in the most advantageoius state as a full timer might or must I stick with Massachusetts.

2. How do you deal with the situation where you are would like to buy a trailer from a seller who does not have an owners title.

3. How much trouble is it to economize by reduciong or eliminating insurance during periods of storage (presumably on private property).

4. Is there anyone out there who uses their trailer as I am proposing. How do you suggest I go about finding storage space each year and how much should I expext to pay?

Thanks a bunch,

Pfznik

Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'll take door #2. Check with the DMV in your state to see if they will register an older trailer with a Bill of Sale. Some states will only register older trailers that way, some want a title. Oklahoma let me register a 1958 AS with a Bill of Sale, another form they supplied and a visual inspection of the VIN number. My tag agent actually came out to look at the trailer because it was not towable at that time. I got a clear Oklahoma title in about 2 weeks. As for #3, if both the car and trailer are paid for, you probably can get by with Liability on the car and nothing on the trailer, keeping in mind that if something happens to the area where they are housed, or there is an accident on the road, you will get nothing for replacement. Our trailer is insured for what we paid for it only (not all we have put into it), but it is also insured when pulled behind our fully insured tow vehicle. Your insurance company could give you better information on this and frankly trailer insurance on a vintage isn't that expensive. Someone here will be able to give you a better answer on your other questions. You might call the DMV in the state where you are wanting to leave the trailer/tow vehicle also. They could probably be helpful.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePfznik
Hi...

1. Am I qualified to register and insure this equipment in the most advantageoius state as a full timer might or must I stick with Massachusetts.

2. How do you deal with the situation where you are would like to buy a trailer from a seller who does not have an owners title.

3. How much trouble is it to economize by reduciong or eliminating insurance during periods of storage (presumably on private property).

4. Is there anyone out there who uses their trailer as I am proposing. How do you suggest I go about finding storage space each year and how much should I expext to pay?

Pfznik
1. You need an address. When I full-timed in Nevada, the trailer park where I eventually wound up had an address for each spot. The rules say you need to be a "resident," but what does that mean in this mobile society and you're spending lots of time there?

2. I'd like more info on this. I've got one with no title, just an executor's release.

3. I was going to say "call your insurance company" but I forgot you're a citizen of the freehold of Cambridge. My company will turn the insurance on and off with a telephone call, but I suspect they would become grumpy if that happened more than once or twice a year.

4. For two vehicles you're going to pay $60/month, more in a highly populous area, less in Montana. The problem is, if you're thinking you can just get to your last stop and find a storage place, you may find there are no vacancies. It is surprising how many storage lots here in Colorado have waiting lists.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

4. For two vehicles you're going to pay $60/month, more in a highly populous area, less in Montana. The problem is, if you're thinking you can just get to your last stop and find a storage place, you may find there are no vacancies. It is surprising how many storage lots here in Colorado have waiting lists.

Zep
Zep,

I think that you are a little light on this one. I am paying $125 per month for my 29' Liner in the greater LA area of Orange, CA. Storage is very difficult to locate in large metropoliton areas.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in ny i think they can search for the last registered owner and a letter gets sent to that person asking if it is abandoned property or something like that. if you get no response, you eventually get a title.

as for registering it. i spent hours with dmv in florida trying to register the trailer where it winters. at this time it lives all the time in florida. they wouldn't let me register it there because my licence is in ny. it seems that you CAN get a florida non resident id and then they will register it there.
if it is staying where you will use it, you may not have to register it. you should get the title in your name.

storage can be very expensive, storing a car (8'X20' storage facility) is costing almost $200 a month! in ny you can temporarily return the plates to dmv to hold and they will extend the registration period (at least the web site says you can). if the car is in storage you can then suspend insurance coverage.

one wrinkle i have is that i cannot get them inspected while they are in florida, as ny requires. i need to call dmv about that too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote