Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
New York State Inspections

Since this is the first travel trailer I have owned combined with the fact that I purchased our A/S out of state and was issued a 10-day temporary inspection certificate, what is involved in the RV inspection process? I know brakes and lights are likely inspected items, but what else? I ask becuase I made an appointment with a NY inspection station (A trailer dealer) and they said it's not a wait around appointment and that I would have to drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. Is this to be expected for TT inspections? With our cars it's usually a wait service, not that this is a problem I am just curious.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Had to leave it for the day. They checked the electrical and mechanical items including the lights, brakes, axles, tires, frame and hitch gear. For those in NY, any idea where the inspection sticker is to be displayed on the trailer?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic67
Had to leave it for the day. They checked the electrical and mechanical items including the lights, brakes, axles, tires, frame and hitch gear. For those in NY, any idea where the inspection sticker is to be displayed on the trailer?
Dennis--I'm curious what the charge was for this inspection??--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When I lived in New York (30+ years ago ) the cost for the car inspection was so low that the gas stations that were certified were not to excited about doing the work. They would ask you to leave the car for the entire day to do the inspection. If you handed the inspector your registration with a $20 bill attached, the inspection would normally take about 30 seconds.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Dennis--I'm curious what the charge was for this inspection??--Pieman
Only $6.00. Maybe AZFlycaster is onto something, and I should have greased some palms for the speedy-inspection!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
In New Mexico you have 30 days to register {pay taxes} after you purchase or trade a vehicle. Like most states if you purchase out of state it must have a state inspection. This inspection has nothing to do with the condition of the vehicle but is to verify it's Vin #ers match the title and bill of sale. If its an autombile and is inoperable the police will come to where it's stored and do this inspection. ---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Mike, I guess regardless of state or terroritry, the taxes will get collected at some stage of the process. Here in NY, those taxes are collected by the state DMV. Our A/S dealer collected the sales tax at time of purchase and did the registation for us providing DMV the tax fee. Even though our delaer was out of state, they were close enoughto have an employee drive to a NY DMV office to registered our trailer and obtain the trailer tag and 10-day temp inspection certificate. Of course all we needed to do was bring the trailer to a licensed NY DMV inspected station and have the trailer inspected to satisfy all aspects of the resgistration.

I still am wondering where my fellow NY State Airstreamers place their inspection sticker?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
wonder no more, it stays with the registration certificate. mine stays in my wallet. as a side note.... years ago i was pulled over (without the trailer) and the state trooper spotted the sticker in my wallet. i got a quick, "what's that sticker doing in your wallet?". i told her it was for my my trailer and showed her the wholes punched in top of the sticker. it must have rattled her because then she said my insurance card was expired and i pointed out that she was looking at the ISSUE date. she was nice enough to let me go with just a warning :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic67
Mike, I guess regardless of state or terroritry, the taxes will get collected at some stage of the process. Here in NY, those taxes are collected by the state DMV. Our A/S dealer collected the sales tax at time of purchase and did the registation for us providing DMV the tax fee. Even though our delaer was out of state, they were close enoughto have an employee drive to a NY DMV office to registered our trailer and obtain the trailer tag and 10-day temp inspection certificate. Of course all we needed to do was bring the trailer to a licensed NY DMV inspected station and have the trailer inspected to satisfy all aspects of the resgistration.

I still am wondering where my fellow NY State Airstreamers place their inspection sticker?
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is the first state I know of that requires travel trailers to undergo a safety inspection. Are there any other states? Since we are going to be "on the road", I don't want to mistakenly establish a residence in a state that requires a bunch of hoops be jumped through every year.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Terry,
Try South Dakota, many FT'ers do!

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
This is the first state I know of that requires travel trailers to undergo a safety inspection. Are there any other states? Since we are going to be "on the road", I don't want to mistakenly establish a residence in a state that requires a bunch of hoops be jumped through every year.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Terry,
Try South Dakota, many FT'ers do!

Michael
Hi Michael,

What are the bonuses of SD? On another topic, “Artstream”, what do you do?

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #12
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Do I have to use a specific RV inspection station in NY? How do I go about ocating one in a search?
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
No... any NYSI station can do, problem is, some don't, they all should, call around.

I was a NYS Inspector....I take the boat trailer or the AS to the shop, hand them all the reg's, we walk out around the trailer, I answer all questions....yes. And we are done.

Unless the procedure has changed...there was no disassembly required for the vehicle to pass, if all items worked as designed and it is equipped properly it would pass. Even a full on properly done should take less than 1/2 hour.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

For folks reading this thread on the App version of this site . . . most of the posts are about 12 years old FYI.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote